Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

Thankfulness

-From David learn to give thanks for everything. Every furrow in the Book of Psalms is sown with the seeds of thanksgiving. JEREMY TAYLOR

1 Thes 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
    Ps 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
    Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Train up a child.....

-It is a fact that unless children are brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, they, and the society which they constitute or control, will go to destruction. Consequently, when a state resolves that religious instruction shall be banished from the schools and other literary institutions, it virtually resolves on self-destruction. CHARLES HODGE

Prov 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Deut 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
    Ps 78:4 . . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.
    Ps 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
    Hos 4:6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. . .

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Foul-tempered people

-The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were wrong. WILSON MIZNER

Prov 12:16 A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.
    Prov 12:15 The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.
    Prov 9:9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
    Prov 17:19 He who loves a quarrel loves sin . . .
    Eccl 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.
    Gal 5:15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
    2 Tim 2:23-26 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
    1 Pet 3:15-17 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

______

Natural bodies and spiritual bodies

-Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. C. S. LEWIS

1 Cor 15:35-38 But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?" How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body.
    1 Cor 15:42-44 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
    1 Cor 15:46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.

______

Godly freedom or ungodly, self-destructive slavery to sin

-America’s greatness has been the greatness of a free people who shared certain moral commitments. Freedom without moral commitment is aimless and promptly self-destructive. JOHN W. GARDNER

John 8:31-32 . . . Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
    1 Cor 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.
    2 Cor 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
    John 8:34-36 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
    2 Pet 2:19 . . . a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.
    Gal 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
    James 1:25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.
    Ps 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD . . .

______

Idols

-You don’t have to go to heathen lands today to find false gods. America is full of them. Whatever you love more than God is your idol. D. L. MOODY

Ex 20:2-3 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me."

______

God is wooing us to Himself

-Heaven is not here, it's There. If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next. God is forever luring us up and away from this one, wooing us to Himself and His still invisible Kingdom, where we will certainly find what we so keenly long for. ELISABETH ELLIOT

Job 36:16 “He is wooing you from the jaws of distress to a spacious place free from restriction, to the comfort of your table laden with choice food.”

______

Choosing memorably gentle peace over memorably frightening, hurtful anger

-Anger devours almost all other good emotions. It deadens the soul. It numbs the heart to joy and gratitude and hope and tenderness and compassion and kindness. JOHN PIPER

-He best keeps from anger who remembers that God is always looking upon him. PLATO

Rom 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
    Eph 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
    Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
    Prov 29:11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.
    Prov 12:16 A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.
    Prov 19:11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
    Eph 4:26-27 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.
    Eph 4:31-32 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
    Col 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
    James 1:19-20 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
    Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

______

Silver linings: Nowhere to go but up!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    . . . But it will be over quick, so keep busy doing the Lord's Work, growing in His Word, and continue in prayer.

Remember at this stage of the game there is nowhere to go but up.
    Nowhere to go but up! I like the sounds of that! As soon as I read that, I decided I wanted to bring extra attention to this uplifting comment from Wally* re a disturbing news item..... Thanks for helping us see the silver lining in the cloud, Wally!

2 Pet 3:11-12 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.
    2 Pet 3:14-15 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.
    2 Pet 3:17-18 Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

*http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1923...28#post2465428

______

Worry

-Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength. CHARLES SPURGEON

Matt 6:25-34 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

______

Obedience=blessings

-Yielding to the will of God is not bondage -- but blessing. ANON

Deut 30:19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live
    Is 48:17-18 This is what the LORD says--your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
    John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
    John 14:15 “If you love me, you will obey what I command.”
    John 15:9-11 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
    Luke 11:28 He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

______

Spreading the nourishing dew of heaven

-Christians are like the several flowers in a garden that have each of them the dew of heaven, which, being shaken with the wind, they let fall at each other's roots, whereby they are jointly nourished, and become nourishers of each other. JOHN BUNYAN

2 Cor 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
    Eccl 4:9-10 Two are better than one . . . If one falls down, his friend can help him up. . .
    Is 50:4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
    Prov 12:25 An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.
    Rom 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
    Gal 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
    1 Thes 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up . . .
    1 Thes 5:14 . . . encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
    Heb 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
    Deut 32:2 Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.

______

Interesting observation on humility

-When the corn is nearly ripe it bows the head and stoops lower than when it was green. When the people of God are near ripe for heaven, they grow more humble and self-denying... Paul had one foot in heaven when he called himself the chiefest of sinners and least of saints. JOHN FLAVEL, A Puritan Golden Treasury

1 Tim 1:15-16 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

Prov 15:33 . . . humility comes before honor.
    Ps 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
    Ps 145:14 The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
    Mic 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
    Matt 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
    Matt 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
    Matt 18:4 “Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”
    Luke 18:10-14 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
    Phil 2:3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than ourselves.
    James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
    1 Pet 5:5-6 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

______

Recognizing and counting our blessings

-The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! HENRY WARD BEECHER

1 Chr 29:12-14 “Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name."
    Ps 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
    Ps 92:1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord. . . .
    Ps 103:2-5 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--3who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, 4who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, 5who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
    James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above . . .
    Ps 105:1 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
    Ps 107:1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
    1 Thes 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
    Ps 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

______

Heavenly rewards

-God's purpose in promising to reward with heavenly and eternal honors the faithful service of His saints is to win them from the pursuit of earthly riches and pleasures, to sustain them in the fires of persecution, and to encourage them in the exercise of Christian virtues. C.I. SCOFIELD

Jer 32:19 great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his conduct and as his deeds deserve.
    Mal 3:16 . . . "A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name."
    Matt 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Matt 16:27 "For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done."
    Matt 25:21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!'"
    Luke 6:22-23 "Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets."
    Rom 2:6-8 God "will give to each person according to what he has done." To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
    Rom 2:9-11 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.
    1 Tim 6:17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
    Heb 6:9-12 Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case--things that accompany salvation. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.
    2 John 1:8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.
    Rev 3:11 "I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown."
    Rev 22:12 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done."

______

He came to serve

-Does God ask us to do what is beneath us? This question will never trouble us again if we consider the Lord of heaven taking a towel and washing feet. ELISABETH ELLIOT

Phil 2:3-8 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    John 13:3-5 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; 4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. 5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
    Matt 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
    Matt 18:4 “Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”
    Matt 20:25-28 Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
    Mark 10:44-45 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
    John 13:15 "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

______

Stumbling blocks or stepping-stones

-The little troubles and worries of life may be as stumbling blocks in our way, or we may make them stepping-stones to a nobler character and to Heaven. Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things. HENRY WARD BEECHER

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
    2 Peter 1:3-8 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

______

The best moment

-The best moment of a Christian's life is his last one, because it is the one that is nearest heaven. And then it is that he begins to strike the keynote of the song which he shall sing to all eternity. CHARLES SPURGEON

John 5:24-25 "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."
    2 Peter 1:11 And you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
    Ps 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

______

Enlisting in the Lord's Army

-If you are under the power of evil, and you want to get under the power of God, cry to Him to bring you over to His service; cry to Him to take you into His army. He will hear you; He will come to you, and, if need be, He will send a legion of angels to help you to fight your way up to heaven. God will take you by the right hand and lead you through this wilderness, over death, and take you right into His kingdom. D. L. MOODY

Is 41:13 "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."
    Is 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
    Deut 31:8 "he LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
    Is 52:12 . . . the LORD will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard.
    Ps 139:10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

______

So near yet so far away

-A man can slip into hell with his hand on the door-knob of heaven. BILLY SUNDAY

Rev 3:20 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”
    Heb 3:15 As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."
    Eccl 9:12 Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.
    2 Cor 6:2 . . . behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

______