Thread: Can someone recommend a book on Faith?

Default Can someone recommend a book on Faith?

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a great book on Faith. What I mean is a really good book on what exactly is faith and why it is so important. I understand it is important, but while doing my reading in the Word this morning it just came up me that I want to learn more what "faith" really is and then why is it so important to live by faith beyond simply "believing" in Christ as our Lord and Savior. Our Lord frequently says how faith is so important in the Kingdom and often gave healings, blessings, and salvation based on a persons "faith." Hope this question I am asking makes sense.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John0730 View Post
    Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a great book on Faith. What I mean is a really good book on what exactly is faith and why it is so important. I understand it is important, but while doing my reading in the Word this morning it just came up me that I want to learn more what "faith" really is and then why is it so important to live by faith beyond simply "believing" in Christ as our Lord and Savior. Our Lord frequently says how faith is so important in the Kingdom and often gave healings, blessings, and salvation based on a persons "faith." Hope this question I am asking makes sense.

Thanks!
    This answer is going to sound simplistic, but the Bible itself is the best primer on faith. Faith is pistis in the Greek; trusting with great confidence. Faith is not action itself but the reason behind the action, in this case, trust in God. Abraham acted, but it was because of his faith that he is counted amongst the righteous. So, faith is the key behind any action in which we are trusting in God. Faith is also internal, and can be on a "sliding" scale; we can have strong faith, with is trusting whole heartedly or we can have little faith, which is a weaker type of faith. The important thing is always to have trust in God, even if it is "just" fingernail faith, where you cling on by your fingertips, no matter what.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Hebrews.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

What I mean is a really good book on what exactly is faith and why it is so important. I understand it is important, but while doing my reading in the Word this morning it just came up me that I want to learn more what "faith" really is and then why is it so important to live by faith beyond simply "believing" in Christ as our Lord and Savior. Our Lord frequently says how faith is so important in the Kingdom and often gave healings, blessings, and salvation based on a persons "faith."
    Im not sure if this is the aspect you are looking for. However...

Beyond what the others said, the Case for Faith by Lee Strobel, despite being written as an apologetic, can reinfoce the 'legal' (much of what is written in Scripture is 'legal' in essence) argument as to why Faith is important.

Think of the terms used in modern jurisprudence: Based on the preponderance of the evidence -(as opposed to)- Beyond a resonable doubt.

Scripture instists on the latter, higher standard and not the former. Its not just a case of a 'good argument' (the former). The evidence of Scripture is 'beyond a resonable doubt'. To restate that, the evidence would be accepted by any 'reasonable' person, and only 'unreasonable persons' would doubt that evidence.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Dear John0730,

I googled books on Christian Faith and my goodness, there were a LOT of site responses that came up on my screen! I scanned several but in the end found that the more well-known Christian book stores (or stores via the Internet) contained the most choices. I went to these and typed in their search bars, "Faith" and it produced a list of 30+ book choices, along with book reviews for each title.

Sorry I couldn't provide you with an actual book title, but these Christian book stores offer a wide variety of book relating to FAITH in our Christian life. Good Luck, and share with us what you found helpful!

~Mish

PS: Personally I would "second" the vote for Lee Strobel's books (his books are great), or perhaps Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis.

I would recommend an old book called "The Way Made Plain" by Rev. James H. Brookes, D.D.

There are reprints still being sold on used book sites such as Alibris. The used books can often be quite cheap if you are willing to shop and are not in a hurry.

He goes thru the tenth chapter of Romans and he uses many other verses of Scripture to carefully explain how saving faith comes about as God works it into those who would have it. It is one of the clearest & best books on the subject that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Im not sure if this is the aspect you are looking for. However...

Beyond what the others said, the Case for Faith by Lee Strobel, despite being written as an apologetic, can reinfoce the 'legal' (much of what is written in Scripture is 'legal' in essence) argument as to why Faith is important.

Think of the terms used in modern jurisprudence: Based on the preponderance of the evidence -(as opposed to)- Beyond a resonable doubt.

Scripture instists on the latter, higher standard and not the former. Its not just a case of a 'good argument' (the former). The evidence of Scripture is 'beyond a resonable doubt'. To restate that, the evidence would be accepted by any 'reasonable' person, and only 'unreasonable persons' would doubt that evidence.
    Yes,in addition to the Bible Lee Stobel's book "The Case for Faith".Is really good.

Default Thanks everyone!!!

Thanks so much for your opinions and suggestions. Gives me a lot to consider. I'm the type of person that likes to dig deeper into a subject as the Spirit calls me to do so. It's always good to hear suggestions.

Thanks again!

I like biographies they really encourage my faith. If I Should Perish was wonderful. Secret Believers was excellent. Evidence Not Seen was astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by PlentyGroovy View Post
    I like biographies they really encourage my faith. If I Should Perish was wonderful. Secret Believers was excellent. Evidence Not Seen was astounding.
    I agree with you about biographies...especially missionaries in the 19th century.

Thanks again everyone!! I just ordered "Evidence Not Seen" as a start to study more on the idea of faith. I don't know about you but, as I very regularly read the Word, I sometimes read the words and think I am understanding. But yesterday as I was doing my morning study of the Word and after reading a passage where Jesus said your faith has healed you I was struck to try to understand what is faith really and why is it so important in the Kingdom. As Pastor Jon Courson often has said, "faith is the currency of Heaven." Guess I want to a little more deeply understand why that is so.

Thanks again!!

"This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."
    John 6:29b
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Answers to prayer - George Muller

A Narrative of some of the Lord's Dealings with George Muller - George Muller

The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life - Hannah Whitall Smith

On Faith - Smith Wigglesworth

And like many have already stated the Bible should be first and foremost.

Have a blessed day.

Default Thanks again!!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your input, advice, guidance, and suggestions. I did order both "Evidence Not Seen" and "On Faith" on amazon yesterday. This should give me a lot to "chew on" for a while on the subject of faith.

To those that mention the Bible as a primary resource, I just want to say that I DO understand what you are saying. I am deeply in prayer and the reading and mediation of the Word every day (I do miss a day once in a while), but for me I like to read related books around the topics that the Word instructs in. It's just my nature and, I believe, a way the Lord guides me on my path.

To those of you who, like me, like to study topics on Christian spiritual growth, I would like to recommend two other books I am reading and studying now:

1) On being more Christlike: Dallas Willard, "Renovation of the Heart: Putting On The Character of Christ." (It's an excellent book with a lot of content, but it is a bit of a hard read. I am almost through it for the second time and I go through it with a red pen and yellow highlighter nearby.)

and

2) On loving God and your neighbor (Jesus' two top commandments): Chuck and Nancy Missler, "The Way of Agape: Understanding God's Love" (good book worth the read and study).

I would be happy to hear about any other great books out there and whether you have read, and your opinions of, either of the books above.

Thanks again and God bless you,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Browndl View Post
    Answers to prayer - George Muller

A Narrative of some of the Lord's Dealings with George Muller - George Muller

The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life - Hannah Whitall Smith

On Faith - Smith Wigglesworth

And like many have already stated the Bible should be first and foremost.

Have a blessed day.
    Excellent recommendation of "On Faith" by Smith Wigglesworth reading it daily as part of my daily devotion and prayer along with the Bible and a couple other books.

Hello all,

Thanks!
    Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It is not exactly what you asked for, but ultimately the book shows that growing in one's faith is essential to understanding one's faith. Lewis sees it, (Faith) as a journey or progression.

you noted later you did Bible study and meditation. I was going to suggest that too. It seems to me that I hear what is being told to me so much better if I am outside somewhere, just being quite. usually fishing.

Excellent recommendation of "On Faith" by Smith Wigglesworth reading it daily as part of my daily devotion and prayer along with the Bible and a couple other books.
    Wonderful! I am glad it has blessed you.

Have a blessed day.