Thread: What is a network card for? Do I need one to work wirelessly?

Default What is a network card for? Do I need one to work wirelessly?

I think maybe I found a good buy for a computer on sale from Staples. HP Pavilion p6-2326s, 8GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, quad core for about $400. However, it says it has no Desktop Network Card, but it also says "Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate-10/100/1000 Base-T Network."

I thought LAN means your PC works wirelessly. Do I need a network card to use my PC wirelessly? If not, what would I need a network card for?

Thanks,
    TL

P.S. Does this sound like a good computer and a good deal?

Other info if interested:
    HP Pavilion p6-2378 Desktop PC
    Item: 990649 Model: H4A12AA#ABA
    Desktop Refurbished-No
    Desktop Weight-15.83 lbs
    Desktop Video Memory-up to 4GB
    Desktop CPU Cache-4MB L2
    Desktop Processor Speed-3.6GHz
    Desktop Power-N/A
    Desktop Audio-High Definition Audio with up to 7.1 surround sound capabilities
    Desktop Media Card Reader-Front panel 6-in-1 memory card reader: supports Secure Digital (SD,SDHC), xD, MultiMedia Card (MMC), MultiMedia Card Plus (MMC Plus), Memory Stick (MS)
    Desktop Network Card-None
    Desktop Optical Drive-SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Desktop Hard Drive Speed-7200RPM
    Desktop Hard Drive Size-1TB
    Desktop Hard Drive Type-SATA
    Desktop Memory Type-PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory
    Desktop Memory Expandable-32GB
    Desktop Memory RAM-8GB
    Desktop Processor-Next Gen AMD Quad-Core A8-5600K Accelerated
    Desktop Warranty-1 year limited
    Desktop Dimensions (L x W x H)-14.80" x 6.50" x 14.49"
    Desktop Video Graphics-AMD Radeon HD 7560D
    Desktop Special Feature-AMD A75 FCH Chipset
    Desktop Other Ports-1 VGA, 1 DVI - out, 1 RJ-45, 1 headphone, 1 microphone
    Desktop USB Ports-4 USB 2.0 back and 2 USB 3.0 ports front
    Desktop Operating System-Genuine Windows 8
    Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate-10/100/1000 Base-T Network
    All in One Desktop-No
    Desktop Includes Monitor-No
    Desktop Use-Professional

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Hi There,

This PC has an RJ45 port, this is the network card, there is however no mention of wireless network built into the machine.

You may need to add a USB wireless card to get that, its a pretty common thing these days to have a wired network built in and you either get supplied or buy as an extra the USB wireless device.

LAN means Local Area Network and it can be wired or wireless depending on the hardware you have.

I must say the spec of the build needs to be clarified as they clearly state no LAN card in one bullet point, but include the RJ45 port in another, a total conflict of info that is!! I'd give the company a wee ring on the phone about that before buying.

Other than that its pretty beefy PC, with good sound card, memory, processor and video card.

It will just be an error in the description methinks, you would be highly unlikely these days to get high end PC like this with no network capabilities.

Hope this has been of some use to you.

It doesn't include a network card because that feature is built into the mobo. The RJ45 port is where you'd connect a cat 5 cable to your network.
    Tall Timbers

That isnt bad for $400, but it doesnt come with a monitor.

Do you already have one?
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

I bought a $600 Gateway for $300; they connected the CD to where the HD should go, getting "no boot" errors, I switched the connection; New PC!

New MBs have built in wireless.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Well! I am now the proud owner of a brand new computer! Thank you for all your help, guys!
    - - - - -
    TheRedeemed - I called HP like you suggested and they said this PC does not have wireless. I also talked to the sales guy at Staples. He seemed surprised that it didn't have wireless, as their other HP computers normally come with the wireless capability. However, he said these computers were a special buy for Black Friday (here in the states, the day after Thanksgiving is a huge day for shopping and they call it Black Friday). Thank you for all your help!

TT and Buzz - English, guys, English!

Hootmon - Yes, I have an extra monitor packed away in the garage. Somewhere. It will be a whole lot of fun to find. BTW, your suggestions last month or whenever that was, were very, very helpful with educating me on what to look for with the 8GB/1TB/Quad Core arrangement. Thanks again!
    - - - - -
    I understand the Windows 8 tutorial will come on automatically after I find my other monitor and start the machine. I have DVD+R disks to make my recovery disks.

It will take me a few days to get started. Then I will be back for help with tranferring files. Oh, no, wait. I think I have to buy MS Office before I can transfer text files.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

You can get a wireless network card as long as there are a few empty slots in the back, usually there are 2 extra slots.

But I bet it has internal wireless http://www.quill.com/hp-desktop-comp...CSE_SDC_271645

Wireless is as a standard provision as a mouse and keyboard these days; or you can even get a wireless USB adapter

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Well, that's interesting......

I had thought the built-in wireless was pretty standard now, too. However, I think the Staples guy told me the Lenovos they have don't have the wireless thing either.

HP said I would need a plug-in network card, but the Quill site says wireless connectivity. strange

Maybe I won't know for sure until I get it all set up and start exploring.

Thanks, Buzz!

______

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    You can get a wireless network card as long as there are a few empty slots in the back, usually there are 2 extra slots.

But I bet it has internal wireless http://www.quill.com/hp-desktop-comp...CSE_SDC_271645

Wireless is as a standard provision as a mouse and keyboard these days; or you can even get a wireless USB adapter
    I don't see wireless built into the mobo as standard yet, though I wish it was. It is easy enough though to add a wireless card or USB adapter.
    Tall Timbers

Aha! I found out what you were saying, TT!

For all you lesser mortals out there like me who don't speak computereeze, I looked up "mobo." It is short for "motherboard."

Now.....if I only understood what a motherboard was

Oh, wait, wait, we'll just look that up, too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_board

Oh, and, per TT's post #3, a category 5 cable is like an Ethernet cable that hooks you up to the Internet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Aha! I found out what you were saying, TT!

For all you lesser mortals out there like me who don't speak computereeze, I looked up "mobo." It is short for "motherboard."

Now.....if I only understood what a motherboard was

Oh, wait, wait, we'll just look that up, too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_board

Oh, and, per TT's post #3, a category 5 cable is like an Ethernet cable that hooks you up to the Internet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
    ...or cat 6 now

Sorry about the foreign language... I'll try to do better when you upgrade to 16 core cpu, 32GB memory, 6TB data, 500GB SSD... which is probably what Hoot will be recommending when you buy you new one in a year .
    Tall Timbers

Sounds like a good deal---but if I may, offer that you might want to consider a laptop especially if this system does not come with a monitor. Clearly your call and your preference. To answer your question, you will need something to connect wirelessly and as mentioned above, there are very inexpensive solutions such as a USB wireless card. This system will connect to the internet via a cable. Best of luck and most of all---enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    ...or cat 6 now

Sorry about the foreign language... I'll try to do better when you upgrade to 16 core cpu, 32GB memory, 6TB data, 500GB SSD... which is probably what Hoot will be recommending when you buy you new one in a year .

TT
    , I expect this to be the last computer I will ever buy! I expect my next computer to be there waiting for me when I get my heavenly mansion! And I won't need Norton 360, because people in Heaven won't make viruses! Ta da!

Hey, joking aside, I actually saw at least one computer online during my search that had 12GB of memory! If money was no object I would have gotten one of those, but they were several hundred dollars more, so it was not worth it for me to get that fancy. Like TheRedeemed said, this new one is "pretty beefy." My current computer is several years old and only 1024MB memory/250GB hard drive, so I expect to be VERY happy with the increased speed of this one!

I am a little apprehensive about switching to Windows 8, but I think it will be an interesting adventure to try.

Frisbee, I bought the computer on Black Friday. I understand a USB plug-in network card can cost about $50, however, I am not in a hurry to go wireless just yet. I am hoping to move next year(!) and I may want to go wireless then, but I have an extra Ethernet cable and that will work for now.

Welcome to RR!

______

TT
    , I expect this to be the last computer I will ever buy! I expect my next computer to be there waiting for me when I get my heavenly mansion! And I won't need Norton 360, because people in Heaven won't make viruses! Ta da!
    I think we'll be computing in the "cloud" in heaven, with unlimited memory, cpu power, and storage

Hey, joking aside, I actually saw at least one computer online during my search that had 12GB of memory! If money was no object I would have gotten one of those, but they were several hundred dollars more, so it was not worth it for me to get that fancy. Like TheRedeemed said, this new one is "pretty beefy." My current computer is several years old and only 1024MB memory/250GB hard drive, so I expect to be VERY happy with the increased speed of this one!.
    I just ordered one with 16GB memory that should be on my porch any day now... but Hoot is right, 8 GB is plenty right now.
    More isn't going to be worth the $$$ to all but a few power users. 8 GB is the current sweet spot. You've gotten yourself a nice system!
    Tall Timbers

I think we'll be computing in the "cloud" in heaven, with unlimited memory, cpu power, and storage

I just ordered one with 16GB memory that should be on my porch any day now... but Hoot is right, 8 GB is plenty right now.
    More isn't going to be worth the $$$ to all but a few power users. 8 GB is the current sweet spot. You've gotten yourself a nice system!
    Cloud..... Really, TT, you're leaving me in the dust!
    Okay, for others like me: Cloud computing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
    Interesting concept.....

16GB?! Wow! And I thought 12GB was huge. I had no idea they made 16GB!

Thank you for your "nice system" comment. Several of you have made similar comments and I thank you for them -- it helps make me feel like this was money well spent.

______

I'm all for Cloud Computing with Sys Admin Jesus!