Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Almost Christmas Holiday thread

Default The Almost Christmas Holiday thread

What are the views on the forum about the 25th of December being Our Lords real date for His birthday, or was it just a date picked by the early church?

I have heard that December 25th is not the real date of Christs birth.The most important issue to me is that God sent Jesus to this Earth.He was born in Bethlehem to Mary and Joseph not when he was born.

Celebrate Him every day!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

If I'm not mistaken, it was chosen to coincide with a pagan festival for whatever reason (perhaps to replace the pagan festival with a Christian one in an attempt to convert the pagan populace). The two celebrations were combined -- the Christian celebration of Christ's birth and the tradition of gift-giving as exemplified by the Wise Men and the pagan tradition of bringing trees in to decorate, the Yule Log, the decorating of homes with pine boughs, etc.

I have heard it said that Jesus' birth was most likely in April or sometime in Spring since the shepherds were out in the fields with their sheep and this is apparently something they do at that time of year. The visit of the Wise Men, erroneously shown at the manger, was actually later to the Christ Family in a house in Bethlehem which they took after Jesus' birth, when Jesus was several months old. Probably the best way to calculate is from the dates of the Roman census as mentioned in the Bible. Find those dates, and you find a time frame for Jesus' birth.

I try to not let these little inconsistencies get in the way of my celebrating Christmas. To me, like to those who have already posted, it's not WHEN He was born that matters, it's that He WAS born. However, this question is one that many people do ask, much like the question of what the "Star of Bethlehem" actually was. There is a school of thought that suggests it was a planetary convergence or some other kind of celestial occurrence. I can see how this is one explanation. God does, after all, work through the laws of nature and through natural occurrences as well as supernatural ones, I think.

As Romans says, "He works ALL things together for good . . . " I think this means even natural occurrences on earth and in the Heavens (space). He knew what would happen when, before these things happened, and He timed things just right to happen when He wanted/needed them to happen.
    "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Quote Originally Posted by Musician in His house View Post
    I have heard it said that Jesus' birth was most likely in April or sometime in Spring
    I've heard it was most likely either sometime in the spring or in the fall.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Welcome to the board, Pink Panther.

I think there is good evidence for the fall. Its interesting to consider December 25th + 9 months. Just sayin. Considering the untold amount of words spilled over this subject the last 2000 or so years, it doesn't appear to be an answerable question this side of heaven.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

If it was important that we celebrate the birth of Jesus, God would have told us to, or we would see the early church doing so. And God would have told us when it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan51 View Post
    If it was important that we celebrate the birth of Jesus, God would have told us to, or we would see the early church doing so. And God would have told us when it was.
    The Church doesn't have feast days as God gave to Israel.

For Christians who use their freedom to celebrate the birth of Jesus (not the Santa, etc, trappings but celebrating Jesus) I look at that as an expression of their love and gratitude that God sent Jesus into the world to die for our sins. Such things He will not turn away.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    The Church doesn't have feast days as God gave to Israel.

For Christians who use their freedom to celebrate the birth of Jesus (not the Santa, etc, trappings but celebrating Jesus) I look at that as an expression of their love and gratitude that God sent Jesus into the world to die for our sins. Such things He will not turn away.
    Yes, we have that freedom! That's why I don't feel guilty not getting "into" Christmas nor does it bother me that most everyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan51 View Post
    Yes, we have that freedom! That's why I don't feel guilty not getting "into" Christmas nor does it bother me that most everyone else does.

I feel that it is important to keep Christ in Christmas.Not see who can buy each other the most expensive gift and Santa Clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
    What are the views on the forum about the 25th of December being Our Lords real date for His birthday, or was it just a date picked by the early church?
    Just a date.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Default Human traditions?

I remember reading an article on Rapture Ready on the 21/12/2011 titled "Merry Christmas," by Mike Taylor and I found it very true in it's conclusion which was.

"God and Moses were deeply offended when the people tried to celebrate the God in their own minds, by redefining Him and controlling Him to their own desires. I’ve had people tell me that they don’t care if Christmas started as a pagan ritual as it’s their way of praising God. Is not this person doing the same thing as the Israelites did in the wilderness when they substituted a golden calf, as god of their own desire, for the true God of Heaven? Are we doing the same thing? At this time of the year, let us examine our hearts and minds and determine, are we worshipping God in spirit and in truth, or are we making a god of our own desires as Israel did? I leave it to the leading of the Holy Spirit in your life."

Or should we take head of what Jesus said to the pharisees in Mark 7, 5:8

5 So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
    7 They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.’[b]
    8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

Or Colossians 2:8

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

So what is right?

We are not Israel under the Mosaic Law.

We are free to celebrate the birth of Jesus in any way we choose. If it violates our conscience, we are free to not celebrate.

This question comes up every year and so avoid reinventing the *Christmas wheel* every year, here is the Big Bubba Holiday Thread: http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=20192

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    We are not Israel under the Mosaic Law.

We are free to celebrate the birth of Jesus in any way we choose. If it violates our conscience, we are free to not celebrate.

This question comes up every year and so avoid reinventing the *Christmas wheel* every year, here is the Big Bubba Holiday Thread: http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=20192
    Yes,every year the issue with Christmas trees comes up as well.That some think they are evil.

Christmas is also a wonderful opportunity to declare the glories of Jesus Christ as many of the world's mind is turned to the birth of the Savior - the promised Seed fulfilled, the virgin birth made real.

One interesting tidbit about the date of His birth is the clue that shepherds were out in the field watching over the sheep. I read that they do this at birthing time and that they are not always out overnight with them. That would bring in the spring or fall theory.
    You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. Ps. 18:28

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    Yes,every year the issue with Christmas trees comes up as well.That some think they are evil.
    Boy, they'd really hate what I do at work.

[mini Christmas trees on every vending machine, static clings, garland, battery operated Christmas lights on the wheelchair... ]

Oh, and I make my husband wear an elf hat. I wear one that says "Merry Christmas".

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I hold to these verses. I love Christmas and the spirit of it.
    Rom 14:5
    One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
    Rom 14:6
    He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

i take it you read Big Bubba Christmas thread?