Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Almost Christmas Holiday thread

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i take it you read Big Bubba Christmas thread?
    But the trees are weeping for Tammuz

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
    What are the views on the forum about the 25th of December being Our Lords real date for His birthday, or was it just a date picked by the early church?

Most people feel it was a date taken from a preexisting Roman festival, though the following article by William J Tighe points out that this is probably not the case: http://www.touchstonemag.com/archive...id=16-10-012-v. To sum up, the basic idea is we don't know when Jesus was born but the Dec 25 date came about because of a Jewish (but not biblical) belief that prophets died on the same day as their conception. Since Jesus was believed - wrongly - to have died on March 25 - you add 9-months and get Dec 25. At the end of the article, Tighe recommends readers see a book by Thomas J Talley which goes into more detail. I actually have that book, so if you have any other questions I'll have a quick look through it.

Well despite all you deluded people following the Roman Catholic Churches date set for Christmas we in the Serbian Orthodox Church of course have been celebrating it on the correct date of the 7th of January for centuries.

Yep the Eastern Orthodox Church usually celebrates on the 7th of Jaunuary declaring many years ago that the Catholics got it wrong. The Pope has obviously just got the MEMO.

The date of Christ's birth can be debated from here to eternity, "I just PRAISE GOD he was born".

Meanwhile I have sent out my Christmas cards and letters today. Depending on the person receiving the card (lost or saved) I made sure they got appropriate scripture.

We don't do a tree as it wasn't what I grew up with but I do like to put up some decorations and I love getting Christmas Cards which we hang up as well. The house looks so festive with the decorations and cards. It wouldn't be special if we did it all year around. So I look forward to the Christmas Season and will celebrate it in Reverance & Awe of the Lord's Gift to Mankind.

Now time to get out my Christmas Hymns Lyrics and time to sing a Christmas Song or two as well in worship of our King, the babe in the manger.

If we are raptured out of here before Christmas (25th Dec or 7th Jan) we can celebrate with the Lord face to face.

While Shepherds Watched

While shepherds watched
    Their flocks by night
    All seated on the ground
    The angel of the Lord came down
    And glory shone around
    And glory shone around

"Fear not," he said,
    For mighty dread
    Had seized their troubled minds
    "Glad tidings of great joy I bring
    To you and all mankind,
    To you and all mankind."

"To you in David's
    Town this day
    Is born of David's line
    The Savior who is Christ the Lord
    And this shall be the sign
    And this shall be the sign."

"The heavenly Babe
    You there shall find
    To human view displayed
    And meanly wrapped
    In swathing bands
    And in a manger laid
    And in a manger laid."

Thus spake the seraph,
    And forthwith
    Appeared a shining throng
    Of angels praising God, who thus
    Addressed their joyful song
    Addressed their joyful song

"All glory be to
    God on high
    And to the earth be peace;
    Goodwill henceforth
    From heaven to men
    Begin and never cease
    Begin and never cease!"

http://www.carols.org.uk/while_shepherds_watched.htm

Merry Christmas no matter what date you celebrate it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb101 View Post
    One interesting tidbit about the date of His birth is the clue that shepherds were out in the field watching over the sheep. I read that they do this at birthing time and that they are not always out overnight with them. That would bring in the spring or fall theory.

Actually I did quite a bit of research on the Dec 25 date a few years ago (the notes are somewhere on my computer) and it seems the idea that the shepherds would not be out in the field in winter originated with a famous scholar called JB Lightfoot. It seems, however, that he got this idea from some rabbinic writings but he misread them. What they state is that sheep from the wilderness were brought inside during the winter, but Bethlehem is not the wilderness, and a passage in the Mishnah states sheep were outside all year long and sheep being kept for Passover were in fields 30 days before then, which was February - a wintery month of course.

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i take it you read Big Bubba Christmas thread?
    America was a great country, people wonder what happened, then you read things like the Big Bubba Christmas thread.

Is it just me or has the world gone mad??