Thread: US school tag tracker prompts court row on religious beliefs

Default US school tag tracker prompts court row on religious beliefs

A court challenge has delayed plans to expel a Texan student for refusing to wear a radio tag that tracked her movements.

Religious reasons led Andrea Hernandez to stop wearing the tag that revealed where she was on her school campus.

The tags were introduced to track students and help tighten control of school funding.

A Texan court has granted a restraining order filed by a civil rights group pending a hearing on use of the tags.

Ms Hernandez refused to wear the tag because it conflicted with her religious beliefs, according to court papers. Wearing such a barcoded tag can be seen as a mark of the beast as described in Revelation
    13 in the Bible, Ms Hernandez's father told Wired magazine in an interview.

NISD suspended Ms Hernandez and said she would no longer be able to attend the John Jay High School unless she wore the ID badge bearing the radio tag. Alternatively it said Ms Hernandez could attend other schools in the district that had not yet joined the radio tagging project

The Rutherford Institute said the NISD's suspension violated Texan laws on religious freedom as well as free speech amendments to the US constitution.

"The court's willingness to grant a temporary restraining order is a good first step, but there is still a long way to go - not just in this case, but dealing with the mindset, in general, that everyone needs to be monitored and controlled," said John Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute in a statement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20461752

Sad that it's Texas.

That said, I am required to wear an RFID tracking tag, like that, at work in a Federal Building. I can't get into the building without it.

I found it mildly creepy, until a plumber I met told me about the chips in cell phones - they do the same thing. "If the battery is in the cell phone, it is talking to the tower".

Once we're gone, we'll have a flood of people lining up for the mark.

My husband always warns people about the MOTB, "Don't take the mark" being his tagline.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Sad that it's Texas.

That said, I am required to wear an RFID tracking tag, like that, at work in a Federal Building. I can't get into the building without it.

I found it mildly creepy, until a plumber I met told me about the chips in cell phones - they do the same thing. "If the battery is in the cell phone, it is talking to the tower".

Once we're gone, we'll have a flood of people lining up for the mark.

My husband always warns people about the MOTB, "Don't take the mark" being his tagline.
    I am required to wear one as well Acts.I find it creepy too.It is just too much Big Brother is watching you.It is the way of this world.Their is not a thing that can be done.It is possible to get fired if you do not wear one.No one now can afford to be rebellious and get fired with no income.This is not nearly as big of a issue as the Mark of the Beast is going to be.Their will be alot of rewards attached to the Mark I am thinking.

They wont need to add rewards to the mark. They will prolly have a sword and say mark or death and 90% of the world will say mark.

It's obvious that there is no connection between this radio tag and the MOB, but I do believe that children shouldn't be required by any government agency to be tagged... unless the parents agree to it.
    Tall Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by DRIVER_UK View Post
    The tags were introduced to track students and help tighten control of school funding.
    Or stated a little differently, "The [mark was] introduced to track [humans] and help tighten control of [the global economy]."

My passport has RFID sealed into the back cover.

[bracketed text does not show up in the activity stream, it seems.]