Thread: How do I witness to my atheist friend?

Default How do I witness to my atheist friend?

Last year I rededicated my life to Christ after having backslidden for 7 years. In 2008 I went to stay with my friend (she is an atheist) and since I was backslidden I was a terrible witness to her. I ranted a lot about my church and I said stupid things like the antichrist will be from France since the Euro was stronger than the dollar and there has to be one world currency I really made a mockery out of my faith and I have regretted it and repented

Since I rededicated my life and was filled with the Holy Spirit, EVERYTHING changed. I was happier and much more positive and I tried to share my happiness with my friend. I told her I was wrong about everything I had said to her about Christianity and the church. She told me she was happy for me but that religion is something that she'll never understand and something that she wants no part of. It was kind of one of those "back off" conversations. I have noticed our friendship somewhat dissolving. We only talk through email and occassionally on the phone since she lives in England and I live in the US. She is a big supporter of gay marriage and even went to a gay pride parade. She supports abortion too and loves Obama. I don't really know what to say to her. I'm not so scared of losing her friendship as much as her losing her soul! But we don't talk that often anymore and she doesn't want to hear about anything religious. What should I do? I love her and she is such a dear friend. But I'm not the same person that she met when I was backslidden and I don't know how to witness to her What more can I do?

Just pray. It's not your job to convert her. All you have to do is be faithful in planting the seed, God will provide the water.

Just be Jesus to her. Demonstrate and live out Gods love. Love never fails
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Your life is the witness to her...

They notice. Especially the atheists.
    I accept nothing from man as truth...
    only that, One is the truth. (John 14-6)

Pre-Flood/Pre-Trib (Genesis 5-24)

Hi Rosedust
    To encourage you: Don't worry, God has everything in hand. If someone's salvation was based on anything we do, no-one would get saved. It's all Him. We just do the telling.
    When I was witnessed to, I was a passionate atheist. The man who witnessed to me initially seemed little different to unbelievers as he was backslidden. But what he told me had a huge impact, because Jesus was revealing Himself to me through this man. But if I had examined his life, I'd have been very confused indeed. But God was drawing me & nothing of this man himself was relevant. I didn't even see his lifestyle really, God just broke through all that & showed me Him.
    It wasn't till after I saved that I realised I hadn't noticed he was living a life rather unlike a Christian.
    The man is now my dear husband!! The point is though, that God does everything, we just have to be obedient vessels.
    Relax, let God do what He needs to through you. Yes our lives should reflect Christ, but sadly that isn't always the case. But it shows God is more powerful than anything.

We plant seeds.

The most important thing, if she were close, is "walking the walk" - doing your best to live a Godly life, repenting when you screw up, and asking forgiveness.

I think, since she's long distance, it would be better to focus on prayer. It doesn't sound like she would be willing to do a Bible reading challenge or anything like that.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Rosedust View Post
    Last year I rededicated my life to Christ after having backslidden for 7 years. In 2008 I went to stay with my friend (she is an atheist) and since I was backslidden I was a terrible witness to her. I ranted a lot about my church and I said stupid things like the antichrist will be from France since the Euro was stronger than the dollar and there has to be one world currency I really made a mockery out of my faith and I have regretted it and repented

Since I rededicated my life and was filled with the Holy Spirit, EVERYTHING changed. I was happier and much more positive and I tried to share my happiness with my friend. I told her I was wrong about everything I had said to her about Christianity and the church. She told me she was happy for me but that religion is something that she'll never understand and something that she wants no part of. It was kind of one of those "back off" conversations. I have noticed our friendship somewhat dissolving. We only talk through email and occassionally on the phone since she lives in England and I live in the US. She is a big supporter of gay marriage and even went to a gay pride parade. She supports abortion too and loves Obama. I don't really know what to say to her. I'm not so scared of losing her friendship as much as her losing her soul! But we don't talk that often anymore and she doesn't want to hear about anything religious. What should I do? I love her and she is such a dear friend. But I'm not the same person that she met when I was backslidden and I don't know how to witness to her What more can I do?

I don't know what your level of biblical knowledge is, but in my case, I'd go through the evidence for the resurrection and, as she's an atheist, I'd first go through arguments showing God exists - things like the cosmological argument (especially the "Kalam" version), teleological argument, etc. If you don't know about that stuff, see: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/popul...nature-of-god; http://www.reasonablefaith.org/schol...stence-of-god; www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.html; http://www.reasonablefaith.org/is-th...f-the-universe ; www.reasonablefaith.org/question-answer. For stuff on the resurrection, see: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/popul...s-of-nazareth; http://www.reasonablefaith.org/schol...torical-jesus; http://www.garyhabermas.com/articles...ainingaway.htm.

Thanks, everyone I keep thinking that if she goes to hell it will be my fault, that maybe I'm not witnessing enough. It's hard to witness to someone when they say they don't want to hear it. I pray every day for her and her family and friends to find salvation I hope that my changed life is a witness to her, but she seems not to like the new me. I will continue to love her and pray for her

Quote Originally Posted by Rosedust View Post
    Thanks, everyone I keep thinking that if she goes to hell it will be my fault, that maybe I'm not witnessing enough. It's hard to witness to someone when they say they don't want to hear it. I pray every day for her and her family and friends to find salvation I hope that my changed life is a witness to her, but she seems not to like the new me. I will continue to love her and pray for her
    Rosedust, her salvation is not dependant on you. When we witness, it is only a true Spirit led witness which breaks through the unbelief. When I 1st started to witness, I ran myself ragged because of poor teaching which put the responsibility of someone's eternal future at my hands. That is not Biblical truth. By all means share your faith whenever there is an opportunity, but look at scripture & you'll see that each instance of a witness, is led by the Holy Spirit & leads people to God. Anything done in the flesh because we think it's something we do, more often than not pushes the unbeliever away. As it is she won't like your new self, unbelievers are always looking for fault in the believer. When DH got saved, he lived in a small town & was well known. Not one person who knew him came to Christ because of the new him & the change is his behaviour. They didn't like what he changed to either!!
    You cannot push your witness on her, it'll get her back up in the end. You are doing the best thing by praying. Relax & let the Spirit lead you. He knows exactly what to say & when to say it! But ultimately, it's up to God. At the end of the day, witnessing is about love....& you know what scripture says love is: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 .

That ^^^^^

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by so-blessed View Post
    Rosedust, her salvation is not dependant on you. When we witness, it is only a true Spirit led witness which breaks through the unbelief. When I 1st started to witness, I ran myself ragged because of poor teaching which put the responsibility of someone's eternal future at my hands. That is not Biblical truth. By all means share your faith whenever there is an opportunity, but look at scripture & you'll see that each instance of a witness, is led by the Holy Spirit & leads people to God. Anything done in the flesh because we think it's something we do, more often than not pushes the unbeliever away. As it is she won't like your new self, unbelievers are always looking for fault in the believer. When DH got saved, he lived in a small town & was well known. Not one person who knew him came to Christ because of the new him & the change is his behaviour. They didn't like what he changed to either!!
    You cannot push your witness on her, it'll get her back up in the end. You are doing the best thing by praying. Relax & let the Spirit lead you. He knows exactly what to say & when to say it! But ultimately, it's up to God. At the end of the day, witnessing is about love....& you know what scripture says love is: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 .
    Thank you, that's very comforting to me I keep beating myself up over it. I will never stop praying for her. I told my mom that I think the first step to winning people is through love

Ever had someone hate you because you were representing Jesus Christ?They really dislike the fact that you are doing what is right.Just being too nice.They just do not like the feel.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

The one thing that occurred to me as I was reading this thread was that you might try telling her that she's right concerning religion. It's not about religion - It's about a relationship with Christ. Just tell her that and that alone and see where things go from there. She'll either be curious or she won't.

Whatever happens, her salvation is strictly between her and Jesus.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    The one thing that occurred to me as I was reading this thread was that you might try telling her that she's right concerning religion. It's not about religion - It's about a relationship with Christ. Just tell her that and that alone and see where things go from there. She'll either be curious or she won't.

Whatever happens, her salvation is strictly between her and Jesus.
    Exactly,a relationship with Christ is what it is all about.