Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best fries in the U.S.

Fries with gravy and melted cheese, which is what I got when
    I lived in "The North Country", way upstate NY near the Canadian
    border. They call them 'poutine' ( sp?)
    And I have just discovered sweet potato fries, YUM!
    Sometimes I use ketchup ( if I can find it without HFCS)
    but I really like them with just salt, so the potato flavor isn't
    'lost in the sauce'. I love taters of any kind, though.
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    That sounds exactly like the way "Five Guys" does their fries.Do you have a Five Guys burger place around?
    There is a rumor going around that Five Guys is going to open a restaurant in Anchorage... I'm waiting hopefully.

I'm like Acts, I gotta have my tablespoon of extra salt each day or things just aren't right. I have blood pressure that is just a little high but salt intake has no affect on BP in my case (I've done long term evals where I eliminated extra salt from diet). It is interesting how are systems are all different. My mom couldn't eat salt. My dad and all of his brothers and sisters all had a little food with their salt. I take after them.
    Tall Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    There is a rumor going around that Five Guys is going to open a restaurant in Anchorage... I'm waiting hopefully.

I'm like Acts, I gotta have my tablespoon of extra salt each day or things just aren't right. I have blood pressure that is just a little high but salt intake has no affect on BP in my case (I've done long term evals where I eliminated extra salt from diet). It is interesting how are systems are all different. My mom couldn't eat salt. My dad and all of his brothers and sisters all had a little food with their salt. I take after them.
    I loved salt.My mom always heavily salted our food when we were young.It is interesting how the taste buds change.After not having alot of salt for several months I can eat something with a little salt and think......ewwww that is way too salty.
    I think you will really like Five Guys.My critque is that it is way too loud inside.I usually take my food to go.Not my kind of music either.They give you a huge amount of fries so you had better be hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptureReady_7 View Post
    Ohhh, love Five guys fries. But you have to bring your entire family just to eat one serving.

I personally believe that french Fries are a food group all their own. ONe of my most favorite foods in the world. Potatoes are actually in my top 10 favorite dishes of all time.

1. potato salad (home made)
    2. french Fries (all kinds including tater tots)
    3. Fried potatoes (includes hash browns)
    4. Mashed potatoes (includes tater cakes)
    5. Au Gratin/Scalloped (home made)

The world would be a sad place without taters.
    I love potatoes of all kinds too.Especially mashed.

Quote Originally Posted by IamHis View Post
    Fries with gravy and melted cheese, which is what I got when
    I lived in "The North Country", way upstate NY near the Canadian
    border. They call them 'poutine' ( sp?)
    And I have just discovered sweet potato fries, YUM!
    Sometimes I use ketchup ( if I can find it without HFCS)
    but I really like them with just salt, so the potato flavor isn't
    'lost in the sauce'. I love taters of any kind, though.
    Sweet 'tater fries are good, but only either by themselves or with some kind of cinnamon/brown sugar-based sauce or sprinkle. Ketchup just doesn't go with sweet 'taters, IMHO.
    "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Quote Originally Posted by Musician in His house View Post
    Sweet 'tater fries are good, but only either by themselves or with some kind of cinnamon/brown sugar-based sauce or sprinkle. Ketchup just doesn't go with sweet 'taters, IMHO.
    Yes,sweet potatoe fries are good.I agree ketsup really doesn't go well with them.

i'm hooked on Mickey D's fries... i love when they have to do a new batch, i never mind waiting on them and i tell the staff so. (they take 7 minutes BTW, i used to work there through college ) i actually like the greasy limp ones. but hot and crispy are great too!

thick cut fries are yummy with tartar sauce or mayonnaise, i'm surprised nobody else has mentioned that. the big fries tend to be mealy though... i prefer shoestring.

i love to get a "Fisherman's Plate" which is usually a combination of seafood (clams, scallops, haddock, Maine shrimp) deep fried and served with lemon and tartar sauce. i never use the tartar on the seafood, only the fries, a little lemon squeeze on the shrimp is fine, but the rest i like "neat".

I worked at McD's in college, too, Icebear! I liked to get some when I went on break and dip them in Big Mac sauce.
    "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Quote Originally Posted by Musician in His house View Post
    I worked at McD's in college, too, Icebear! I liked to get some when I went on break and dip them in Big Mac sauce.
    i worked in Bangor... the store number was, no joke, 666. i used to joke that i truly worked in Hell

Luckily i got along with management---even the ones who were labelled as "evil"... i've always been that way though. for all my raging introvertedness, i did my best.

I also like steak fries.The really wide ones.I do not see them very often.

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i worked in Bangor... the store number was, no joke, 666. i used to joke that i truly worked in Hell

Luckily i got along with management---even the ones who were labelled as "evil"... i've always been that way though. for all my raging introvertedness, i did my best.
    Oh, lordy, that beats me -- the only 666 I encountered was when someone's order total came to $6.66. Still freaked me out every time, though.

ETA: Just saw a Checkers commercial for loaded fries with cheese and BACON!!! There's actually 3 ways you can have them: with chili, with cheese, Ranch, and bacon, or just with cheese and bacon, but BACON, Y'ALL!!!

i never use the tartar on the seafood, only the fries,...
    Same here.

If Im having fried fish I put malt vinegar on it. Shrimp might get a dip into some cocktail sauce
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

i'm hooked on Mickey D's fries... i love when they have to do a new batch, i never mind waiting on them and i tell the staff so. (they take 7 minutes BTW, i used to work there through college ) i actually like the greasy limp ones. but hot and crispy are great too!

thick cut fries are yummy with tartar sauce or mayonnaise, i'm surprised nobody else has mentioned that. the big fries tend to be mealy though... i prefer shoestring.

i love to get a "Fisherman's Plate" which is usually a combination of seafood (clams, scallops, haddock, Maine shrimp) deep fried and served with lemon and tartar sauce. i never use the tartar on the seafood, only the fries, a little lemon squeeze on the shrimp is fine, but the rest i like "neat".
    I like tartar for my fries but oh boy do I ever love tartar for my fish.and alot of it. I love halibut fish and chips in a beer batter.They are hard to find where I live.

There's a place called Red Robin in the Twin Cities that has the best fries I have ever tasted. They are the thick cut steak fries, and they use this special seasoning that when paired with a little ketchup makes my taste buds do a happy little jig haha.

By the way, it's "ketchup", not "catsup"
    "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man, and God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out, so that you can stand up under it"~1 Corinthians 10:13

Keep your eyes on the skies, for the Lord is coming!

Part of the RR CHEER SQUAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Katia_0203 View Post
    +1

'cat sup' is tuna.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Ketchup.

Israel

I'm a simple person when it comes to fries. Hot, crispy, salted and ketchup optional. My favorite restaurant to get fries at is Superdawg located here in the Chicago area. Their fries are consistent, never mushy or underdone. Put those with a good Superdawg and you have a meal! Also rated "One of the Places to Visit Before You Die"; or maybe before the rapture?

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

Ah yes, french fries. I like them all, as long as they aren't soggy, the curly variety is my recent favorite.

The very best fries I've ever had were my Mom's homemade fries, made from white potatoes from Dad's garden, deep fried in Crisco. Don't know if the secret was the white potatoes, the Crisco, or the Love my Mom put into making them, but they were awesome.

There's a place called Red Robin in the Twin Cities that has the best fries I have ever tasted. They are the thick cut steak fries, and they use this special seasoning that when paired with a little ketchup makes my taste buds do a happy little jig haha.

Sorry,I have seen it both ways.I think both are exceptable.Ofcourse that could be a whole different thread.

There's a Red Robin in Wasilla and Anchorage so when I'm down that way I'll eat there sometimes. I do like those steak fries. I match them with their bacon cheeseburger.
    Tall Timbers