Thread: Question on the 7 Churches in Revelation

Default Question on the 7 Churches in Revelation

I recently heard something that made me think and am wondering about. The 7 churches in the book of Revelations. We they each a description of the state of the church in the past, present and future as written by John? Or are they descriptions of different and various states of multiple conditions that exists within the church today? I hope I am asking in a way that makes sense. For example, the church of Philidephia appears to be the church that is raptured and kept from the wrath of God to come. ie. The church that still gets things right. The church of Laodecia (please forgive spelling)is the lukewarm church and we all know plenty of that is going on right now. I've heard that we are the church of Laodecia now and that the other churches were past as well. So now I"m just confused and I hope someone can clarify and help me understand this. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me!
    "Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."Isaiah 40:31

I believe that the Philadelphia Church and the Laodicean Church are both here now but after the Rapture, only the Laodicean Church will remain. But yes, John was writing to Churches of that day, that were in Asia Minor which is modern day Turkey today. Only born again believers make up the true church that Jesus started in Jerusalem, all others have been deceived one way or the other or have just said no to the Gospel, or have not yet made a decision and said yes to Christ.

Jhn 3:5
    Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    Act 16:31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine2777 View Post
    I recently heard something that made me think and am wondering about. The 7 churches in the book of Revelations. We they each a description of the state of the church in the past, present and future as written by John? Or are they descriptions of different and various states of multiple conditions that exists within the church today? I hope I am asking in a way that makes sense. For example, the church of Philidephia appears to be the church that is raptured and kept from the wrath of God to come. ie. The church that still gets things right. The church of Laodecia (please forgive spelling)is the lukewarm church and we all know plenty of that is going on right now. I've heard that we are the church of Laodecia now and that the other churches were past as well. So now I"m just confused and I hope someone can clarify and help me understand this. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me!
    The letters to the churches in the Revelation are the "what is now" part of Revelation 1:

Revelation 1
    19 “Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later.
    It fit for their day, obviously, it was written to these named churches.

It could be considered indicative of the whole church age because the "later" part is the tribulation. We see the descriptions in all these churches, present in the church today, so it does fit for today, I believe. We see the same problems and types of problems today, spoken of in the other letters to the churches, like Philippians and Thessalonians, for example. I think the weakest description is the progression kind of idea, that the last church present will be the lukewarm church. They are already present on this earth.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

The books of Hebrews through Revelation are Jewish books, and are loaded with tribulation doctrine. We can make some spiritual applications today, and there may seem to be some parallels, but works, enduring to the end, and synagogue talk should tip you off.
    Hebrews 11:3

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

I have heard that the characteristics that applied to the churches can even be applied to people individually.
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoyJoyJoy View Post
    I have heard that the characteristics that applied to the churches can even be applied to people individually.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyJoyJoy View Post
    That is my teaching as well. I think you are on the right track to consider both applications.
    Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (Romans 12:12 NIV)