Thread: US History

Default US History

My daughter and I are using 4th grade LifePacs which has been fine so far. The History/Geography is ok if you want to learn about Kenya and the Ukrain etc. Starting next year I have decided that she should start learning the history of her own country first. I think a lot of our youth takes our country for granted and has never truly been taught what it really means to be an American. This has really opened up a can of worms because after searching and searching I can't seem to fine a good US History curriculum. I want to start at the beginning of our countries history take it from there. If anyone has some recommendations I am all ears. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    My daughter and I are using 4th grade LifePacs which has been fine so far. The History/Geography is ok if you want to learn about Kenya and the Ukrain etc. Starting next year I have decided that she should start learning the history of her own country first. I think a lot of our youth takes our country for granted and has never truly been taught what it really means to be an American. This has really opened up a can of worms because after searching and searching I can't seem to fine a good US History curriculum. I want to start at the beginning of our countries history take it from there. If anyone has some recommendations I am all ears. Thanks
    I really like Bob Jones . . .

Try Wallbuilders.com.

I would go to www.timberdoodle.com and see what they have; they only recommend products they have had direct experience with. As as add-on you can read the Henty novels that deal with US history and Jim Weiss has some great audio stories.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCry View Post
    I really like Bob Jones . . .
    BJU Press

I enjoyed reading the kids' text books.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

I would like to say thanks to all that responded. If there are anymore I will keep checking back. Thanks again!!!

A company called Nest Learning also has good materials available for homeschooling.

Nest learning.com

I enjoyed The Light and the Glory immensely. It is by Peter Marshall and David Manuel. It really tells the story of our Christian roots. I read the adult-level book, but they have an age 8-12 version, too. When my daughter was in 5th grade at a Christian school, I know her teacher had read the book. He may have taught lessons from it, too, but I don't remember for sure.

http://www.christianbook.com/light-g...G&view=details

http://www.christianbook.com/light-a...G&view=details

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Do NOT use Joy Hakim's books at all. A lot of homeschoolers have used them because they are user-friendly, but they are slanted against the West and against Christians.

I like Bob Jones and am using their American History for high school for my sophomore. We really liked their 8th grade American Republic text. (Btw, their math books are the best - fun and colorful for young kids, explain things well, and good through high school as well. Much, much superior to Saxon.)

Other great resources, to get from the library or yard sales, are Jean Fritz's books. They are charming to read, but also have great biographical detail that is perfect for someone in 4th grade.

And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
    Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
    The Great Little Madison
    Shh! We're Writing the Constitution
    What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
    Why Don't You Get A Horse, Sam Adams?
    Where was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
    Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?

And so many more. These are well written and make these men come to life for kids.

Thanks for all your replies. I will research all !!

Where the waving wheat, sure smells sweet!

How do you find the Bob Jones book?

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by IlovemyJesus View Post
    How do you find the Bob Jones book?
    Bob Jones University = BJUPress.com Same source for homeschoolers.

Sometimes you can find used books at homeschool flea markets-swap meets.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

We have decided to use Time Travelers for our 5th grade U S History. This looks to me to be exactly what I was looking for. To all those who are struggling to find a good U S History check this curriculum out. Thanks to all who responded!!!! September will be here fast..... Have a great school year!!!