Thread: Maca Root Powder/Supplements

Default Maca Root Powder/Supplements

I know that we can't ask for medical advice here as far as what we should do about medical problems. I am more asking if any of you have tried this stuff and how it worked for you.

Maca root is a relative of radish, and is used in the form of powder and supplements (organic) to help ballance hormones and increase energy. I was researching side effects, and they included insomnia, fast heartbeat, feelings of anxiety (which makes sense because it gives energy) as well as acne and more extreme emotions if you take too much of it (which also makes sense because it ballances hormones- so it can also mess with your hormones if not taken properly).

I am looking into taking this to help with pms rather than midol or something with much worse side effects. I am going to consult my doctor before doing it no matter what, but I was curious if any of you have tried it and how it has helped/harmed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis22 View Post
    I am going to consult my doctor before doing it no matter what, but I was curious if any of you have tried it and how it has helped/harmed you.
    Never used it, but it's always a good idea to run any supplements by your Dr. because the supplement can interact with other meds and make them more or less effective.
    This world is not my home. I'm just passing through. If heaven's not my home, O Lord, what would I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."
    Complete justice for us will come only "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels" (v. 7).

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis22 View Post
    I know that we can't ask for medical advice here as far as what we should do about medical problems. I am more asking if any of you have tried this stuff and how it worked for you.

Maca root is a relative of radish, and is used in the form of powder and supplements (organic) to help ballance hormones and increase energy. I was researching side effects, and they included insomnia, fast heartbeat, feelings of anxiety (which makes sense because it gives energy) as well as acne and more extreme emotions if you take too much of it (which also makes sense because it ballances hormones- so it can also mess with your hormones if not taken properly).

I am looking into taking this to help with pms rather than midol or something with much worse side effects. I am going to consult my doctor before doing it no matter what, but I was curious if any of you have tried it and how it has helped/harmed you.
    Yes,please consult with your physician before you take anything new including herbal substances.My daughter was taking an herbal substance once.She thought it was quite innocent.She came down with symptoms that resembled Leukemia.They did blood tests and thought for sure that she had Leukemia.She then told them that she was taking this new herbal stuff.She stopped taking it and all symptoms subsided.Really be careful what you put into your body.

The last time I took an herbal thing, it affected my liver.

I'd suggest keeping a food log and cutting out the junk food. More veggies, less salt and junk. Very little caffeine.

That's a lot better, in the long run, than eating junk and adding what could be a toxic chemical on top of that. Many health food dealers and "herbalists" are very unscrupulous and downright evil. They'll say anything to sell product.

The FDA says you cannot market a product by saying it will "diagnose, cure, prevent, or treat" any condition.

I am dead serious about swapping out any junk food for fresh or lightly cooked veggies. That will do a lot more for PMS than any OTC herbal thing.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Is Midol dangerous? I use to take it.
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

Yes. I have taken it. If you use it, make sure to buy organic Maca because Peru isn't known for its clean farming. Lots of pesticides are used.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

My dh and I take a lot of supplements, but we stick to the more well known and proven safe kinds (garlic, fish oil, gingko biloba, vitamins, etc.) but we don't try any of the lesser known supplements like the OP named for all of the reasons that have already been given. . . they can be dangerous. I would research it very carefully, reading both pro and con reviews, then talk with doctor and pharmacist before proceeding with it.

-Lynn

Joy, what some of the herbalists do is take the side effect that COULD ensue from a very sick person taking midol active ingredients: tylenol (for isntance, if an alcoholic takes tylenol it can damage their liver), everyone consumes caffine, and the antihistamine could cause the usual antihistamine problems, dry mouth, trouble sleeping.

So, they blow that up, neglecting to share that they have NO IDEA what side effects may ensue. It's not just "how will this affect me if I take it every day?" it is also "How will this interact with nyquil, if I have a cold? How will this interact if I eat a lot of salt? Am deficient in a vitamin?" They don't know because they haven't done studies yet. People say it works and sell it, but no one knows.

What if a married woman is taking it, and gets pregnant? What will it do to the baby?

I looked up side effects and interactions, and found a lot of blogs for an against.

Are you aware it is also used as an aphrodisiac?

{mod snip}

I had some liver damage from taking a "natural" supplement for hot flashes. Yeah, it worked, worked great, but it was wrecking my liver and I wouldn't have known without the blood test. I decided I'd rather endure the hot flashes (a side effect of a prescription).

I used to take big handfuls of herbal supplements every day, but not any more. God designed our bodies to be very resilient.
    Last edited by Kliska; December 25th, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: med advice

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Closing this now, as it has been asked and answered, so it does not stray into med. advice. As always, research it and ask your doctor.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig