Thread: Praying for your enemies?

Default Praying for your enemies?

Matthew 5:44

King James Version (KJV)

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Here we are told to pray for our enemies, but if I'm not mistaken there are verses in Psalms I believe where David is praying that The Lord deal with his enemies swiftly. I apologize because I cannot find the verse and if I am mistaken please let me know! Ok, I found a few.

Psalm 5:10
    Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

Psalm [35:4] Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt. [35:5] Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them . [35:6] Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them .
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Revelation 22:13

In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4

God does not want us to pray vengence on our enemies. Vengence is HIS job.

Hebrews 10:30

This is what He wants us to do:
    Luke 6:28
    Both passages are COMMANDMENTS from Jesus. You want to disobey HIM?

I was robbed recently. I am praying for their salvation - that is pleasing to God. They will reap the consequences of their sin, one way or another. That's not for me to worry about.

If you feel someone has wronged you, and you don't have it in you to forgive them, ask God to put His love in your heart. He has always done that for me, and given me the will to pray when I couldn't muster it myself.

Psalm 18:3 Psalm 18:48 (I experienced that one when I was mugged 3 years ago). For active persecution, Psalm 31:15

I'd say, fine to pray for deliverence from enemies. Not OK to pray for them to be destroyed. Excellent to pray for their salvation, and I'll remind you, you are commanded by Jesus to pray for their salvation - asking God for GOOD things for them. Salvation, peace, repentence, etc.

I do it every day, and I have a whole list of done-me-wrongs.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Mtown View Post

King James Version (KJV)

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Here we are told to pray for our enemies, but if I'm not mistaken there are verses in Psalms I believe where David is praying that The Lord deal with his enemies swiftly. I apologize because I cannot find the verse and if I am mistaken please let me know! Ok, I found a few.

Psalm 5:10
    Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

Psalm [35:4] Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt. [35:5] Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them . [35:6] Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them .
    We are in the age of grace, David was not. Jesus also dealt with His enemies on this earth with love; in a sense even overturning the moneychangers' tables was out of love and protection (of God's house and also the people being bilked). But a time is coming when Jesus will return where it will revert back to pre-age of grace style justice, eye for an eye, etc... Our current enemies have a chance at salvation, and we also have received God's grace and forgiveness and are supposed to offer that as well.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Absolutely pray for enemies. First off salvation will solve the enemy problem, and secondly it is very hard, and i would say nearly impossible to remain enemies with someone you are lifting up to God in heart felt prayer.
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

The best "prayer for enemy" story i have -

my 'enemy' that I had been praying for had a hurt on one of his legs. I had been praying for that hurt to be healed for quite some time, a few months, and had not known how the hurt was doing. During the course of a conversation, I asked how the hurt was doing. He said it was better. I was able to say, that's good, I have been praying for you. (note: this was an honest, sincere answer, with compassion, there was no sarcasm or bitterness in my voice.) He did not scoff at that truth, although this person had ridiculed my faith numerous times. He then changed the subject, since it was evident that it was a work of God in his life that he couldn't admit. But a great witnessing moment.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Thank you all, Kliska alluded to what I was wondering about mostly. I don't have any enemies that I was looking for answers too on how to pray for them this was just a question that came to mind. I have people that I don't like that I do pray for though it can be hard.
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Revelation 22:13

In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4