Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why would Satan dare try to tempt Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    As a mere Messiah, Jesus posed no serious threat to Satan's schemes. As our Kinsman Redeemer, Satan only became aware of his error and inevitable defeat when Jesus announced "It is finished!" Up until that moment, Satan had no clue Jesus came to save mankind in the manner in which He did so. If Satan had known Jesus was not merely the promised Messiah but also mankind's Redeemer, Satan would have assigned demonic bodyguards to Jesus all the while instructing them to slay anyone who attempted Him any harm whatsoever.
    Actually I thought that revelation that would of sent all hell into a frenzied chaos was at the moment of the resurrection.

I always wondered if Satan knew who Jesus was and thus tempted Him. "If you are the Son of God...."

But if Satan did know Jesus was indeed the Son of God, like others have suggested, he is just insane.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Actually I thought that revelation that would of sent all hell into a frenzied chaos was at the moment of the resurrection.

I always wondered if Satan knew who Jesus was and thus tempted Him. "If you are the Son of God...."

But if Satan did know Jesus was indeed the Son of God, like others have suggested, he is just insane.
    The other demons may have indeed been a little slower on the uptake.

Satan however, knew at the moment previously indicated. It was then too late for Satan to intervene and stop Christ from sinlessly dying - he suddenly "got it" and realized that Christ was the sacrificial Lamb of God the OT foretold. And he knew then - in that exact moment - he had forever lost and would forever lose in his attempts to defeat God.

I too agree Satan likely is insane - because, well, consider the following:

Forget for the moment that Satan once held the highest position a heavenly angel could have. Forget that Satan guarded God's throne and has access before God as our accuser. Consider that simply because Satan is a most highly intelligent being who knows the Bible front to back better than any mortal man, he fully anticipated a resurrection - also foretold; All Satan could do then was watch helplessly as Jesus was resurrected, thus defeating death. Death, of course, being Satan's single biggest weapon of destruction, was now rendered impotent and thus completely ineffectual against believers in Christ - those who looked forward to a redeemer and those of us who look back. Satan's only recourse in continuing to vainly strive against God is to try and pervert the message of salvation thereby leading as many astray as he possibly can.

And yet Satan still strives also to defeat God even after having lost every previous contest between them and knowing the future foretold. Yes the resurrection was another defeat, as will be his imprisonment for a thousand years which we know will precede him being tossed into the Lake of Fire - his final defeat. What is the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. No one and nothing can defeat God. Satan's pride has warped his mind and all he has left is the ability to deceive the unwary, snare the unsuspecting, devour the careless and drag them all to hell with him when he goes.

Praise the Lord for all He has done! Death has no sting! And Satan has no chance. Ever.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post

Many, if not most, of the "if"s in the bible are better translated "If (and its assumed factual)" or the English word "forasmuch as".

ei: forasmuch as, if, that
    Original Word: εἰ
    Part of Speech: Conditional Particle Or Conjunction
    Transliteration: ei
    Phonetic Spelling: (i)
    Short Definition: if
    Definition: if.

1487 ei (a conditional conjunction) – if. 1487 /ei (followed by any verb) expresses "a condition, thought of as real, or to denote assumptions" (i.e. viewed as factual. for the sake of argument) (BAGD). Accordingly, 1487 (ei) should not be translated "since," but rather always "if" – since the assumption may only be portrayed as valid (true, factual).
    Ya, It'll leave a mark.

Pre-Flood; Pre-Furnace; Pre-Fierce Anger (orgēn)

How is that 'Times Of The Gentiles' working out for you, World?

Quote Originally Posted by corvus1972 View Post
    This story always puzzled me. How could the devil even dare disrespect Jesus by attempting to tempt him and offer him the worthless kingdoms of this world? So odd...after getting his butt whooped out of heaven with 1/3 of the angels, how could he dare attempt this. Knowing that Jesus is God the Son...was he out of his mind? This story don't seem right?....any suggestions?
    I agree with the idea that any creature, Satan included, is insane when he/she deliberately seeks and acts upon his/her own will over God's Will. That could be a general definition of sin, which must be punished to preserve God's Holiness.

Satan and his demons know they are doomed. They even know their time of eternal damnation awaits them. This gives us somewhat of an explanation why Satan and his demons still seek to get back at God by attempting to thwart God's plans anywhere they can. I suspect Satan knew that Jesus was the promised Saviour and Satan did everything he could to prevent Jesus from being born and following through with His great Sacrifice that made salvation possible.
    Satan has the same attitude of those who want to take as many others with them as they can, even though they (Satan also) know they are doomed.
    Satan hates God so much that Satan is willing to eternally suffer probably even more for his additional sins as he and his demons still continue to deceive many humans into rejecting God's Salvation.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Satan hates God so much that Satan is willing to eternally suffer ...
    Now that's just plain nuts, I don't care who y'are.

Seriously - That's about as good a #2 definition of insane as you will get beside doing the same thing over and over bit.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Now that's just plain nuts, I don't care who y'are.

Seriously - That's about as good a #2 definition of insane as you will get beside doing the same thing over and over bit.

satan and his sock puppets do know what has been prepared for them and fear it.

They celebrated the killing the Son when He was presenting the Promised Kingdom to Israel the 1st time under the "Kill the son and the vineyard will be ours" theory.

They were surprised at the unanticipated Resurrection sealing their ultimate defeat and allowing the Lord's Kingdom to accept many otherwise condemned sinners.

They are trying to kill Israel to keep them from calling upon the name of the Lord and having Him return.

(No biblical basis but...) They are killing and leading astray the world under an insane thought that if they get enough people condemned then the Lord would have to change the rules to allow more into His Kingdom. If He changes the rules then He would have to allow them to escape their Lake of Fire also.
    Ya, It'll leave a mark.

Pre-Flood; Pre-Furnace; Pre-Fierce Anger (orgēn)

How is that 'Times Of The Gentiles' working out for you, World?