Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you be saved but not bear any fruit?

Quote Originally Posted by LeafyTree View Post
    So in your opinion do you think it would be a correct summation that man's fruits are simply the works that the HS does through us? Since the gifts of the HS were capabilities given to men to use in their own power like speaking in tongues or healing the sick, could we say that that the works of the Holy Spirit are not really powers He gives us but things He compels us to do? So in effect the fruits of man are the works done through us. That really makes sense when you consider He is the vine, we are the branches. The vine is doing all the work nourishing and watering the fruit, and the fruit just grows because the vine is good and knows what it's doing.
    Yeah, that's kind of how I think scripture reads, and what Hoot' was saying metaphorically. I think the role that we play is that we yield to the Spirit, to trust Him. I do think that God then counts that for righteousness, and hence that is good fruit. To take a preacher for an example, they can't be a good preacher unless given a gift by the Spirit, and because of that gift that preacher will gather good fruit, as well as evidencing the fruit of the Spirit.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

At first reading of Hoot's post it didn't click, but then reading Kliska's post i totally get what Hoot was saying also. We are the branches, it is our burden (a joyful burden) to do the works of the HS which is the fruit. The fruits of righteousness are the outward proofs of our submission to the HS. Thanks for helping me step through that.

At first reading of Hoot's post it didn't click, but then reading Kliska's post i totally get what Hoot was saying also. We are the branches, it is our burden (a joyful burden) to do the works of the HS which is the fruit. The fruits of righteousness are the outward proofs of our submission to the HS. Thanks for helping me step through that.
    I think with God, He still makes it clear we have a will, and we can either yield that will over, or not. I think that explains how it can be a fruit of the Spirit, working through us, yet still yield rewards for us at the Bema seat judgment (even though it isn't about the rewards for us).

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Galatians 5:19 (KJV) 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Galatians 5:20 (KJV) 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Galatians 5:21 (KJV) 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Those are man's fruits

Default GotQuestions.org

And this answers quite simply what a man of God and a woman of God are.

http://www.gotquestions.org/man-of-God.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/woman-of-God.html

Not that men and women of God do not sin; but that they earnestly seek to conform their minds and their purposes to God's calling on their lives.
    Mary Brown

John 15:18-25

Revelation 4:1
    New International Version (1984)
    After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."

But what other things would be considered "bearing fruit" that is not a work?
    Works and deeds can fool other men, but not God. I find in life that the fruit of the Spirit cannot be faked, hence why we are told to look for it, rather than any particular behavior. Men have tried to use their deeds to justify themselves, even at the sheep and the goat judgment we get men pointing to their deeds, like it matters. If God doesn't make the tree good, born again producing good fruit, it will not bear good fruit, but works can always be done.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Every Scriptural instance talking about "fruit" and "fruitfulness" has to be answered according to the context of the passage. Some passages about good fruit like the one that started this thread, John 15:6. Others are talling about evil fruit, like the one Kliska answered with from Matthew 7, the fruit in context meaning the evil deeds of false teachers. There is no single answer to cover every instance of where Scripture talks about "fruit." False teachers look good on the outside like a whitewashed tomb, but are full of dead men's bones inside.