Thread: Anyone read Flavius Josephus?

Default Anyone read Flavius Josephus?

Anyone read the complete works of him? I was interested in reading it but its expensive and a lot of reading! Just wanted to see if its worth it.
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Revelation 22:13

In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4

Oh yes! I have the book! It's huge but well worth it. Understand though that since he wrote in Greek I believe (maybe Latin I'm not sure), that the translations are like reading Shakespeare times 10. So I had to go over several detailed paragraphs twice or more to get the full message. English just isn't a very descriptive language when it comes to gender/emotions/adjectives. It's actually IMO a regressed language from Latin (& definitely Greek).

If you love history--especially antiquities then it's a must have.
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I believe I read it, but it was a good while ago. If my recollection is semi-accurate, it was worth the read.
    Tall Timbers

I have a copy printed in 1905 which I found at an estate sale. It is 978 pages long.
    Comprising "Antiquities of the Jews' 'Wars of the Jews' and "The Life of Flavius Josephus'
    written by himself. I have not read all the way through it. It is very detailed, and contains
    a wealth of history, so to me it is very interesting and one of my most treasured volumes.
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by IamHis View Post
    I have a copy printed in 1905 which I found at an estate sale. It is 978 pages long.
    Comprising "Antiquities of the Jews' 'Wars of the Jews' and "The Life of Flavius Josephus'
    written by himself. I have not read all the way through it. It is very detailed, and contains
    a wealth of history, so to me it is very interesting and one of my most treasured volumes.
    Wow! You must have been gobsmacked to find that. Very cool!
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Visit Project Gutenberg's Free Books On Line for information.

Quote Originally Posted by IamHis View Post
    I have the same but a reprint, 1974. Bought the 4-volume set used at Amazon online for about $35. Very good condition, and I love having the history at my fingertips.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    Wow! You must have been gobsmacked to find that. Very cool!
    Yes, as I was browsing through the tables of books that would be up for bid,
    I saw it and my jaw dropped. My first thought was 'I am not going home without
    this one!"
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Florian9 View Post
    Oh yes! I have the book! It's huge but well worth it. Understand though that since he wrote in Greek I believe (maybe Latin I'm not sure), that the translations are like reading Shakespeare times 10. So I had to go over several detailed paragraphs twice or more to get the full message. English just isn't a very descriptive language when it comes to gender/emotions/adjectives. It's actually IMO a regressed language from Latin (& definitely Greek).

If you love history--especially antiquities then it's a must have.
    Oooo boy...I didn't even think of that lol. I am interested in reading it though I have to admit that sometimes I just wish to read in simplicity and not have to reread something a few times to catch what its saying. Either way though, I think I'll add it to my books to read list.
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Revelation 22:13

In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4