Thread: Hand Held Device Driving Problems

Exclamation Hand Held Device Driving Problems

There are accident related problems with people while driving using cellphones/sending text messages. 28% of traffic accidents occur while people are being distracted with cellphones/sending text messages. People have lost their lives/cars damaged. http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...s-free-devices
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

People do everything in the world in their cars nowdays, except drive. I can't count how many times I've seen people driving down the road yakking on their phones and texting, not paying a bit of attention to what's going on around them. It probably equals the amount of times I'm sitting at a light, it turns green, and the person in front of me just sits there because they're too involved in texting to notice the light has changed. This is a pet peeve of mine and I have no problem honking the horn at them to get their attention. Although, sometimes even that doesn't work and they'll sit there until they've finished reading and/or sending their text. Then they get multiple horn honks from me. Personally, I think cell phones are a curse because it used to be I could go shopping or to the library for a few uninterrupted hours of relatively quiet and stress-free time. Not anymore because my dh keeps calling me to pick up things for him at the store or to ask me questions about stuff that could have waited until I got home.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Its called Distracted Driving and it is a serious problem - EVEN hands free.

Testing has shown the cognisant impairment of a person using a phone - hands free or not - is no different than someone who is DUI.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

It's completely illegal here in UK. Instant stop by the police if seen, £60 fine and a 3 penalty points endorsement on the driving licence. Stays on for 4 years and under a topping up process if you receive 12 points you sustain a 12 month road ban.

You're so right about what you say, people have been killed in very serious road traffic accidents here over the years that the govt banned mobile phones while driving.

Hands-free is still allowed, my car has Bluetooth and all the controls for sat nav, phone and sound system are on the steering wheel so never need to take my eyes off the road to answer, or change the radio/mp3 tracks etc.. But I still think yakking on a phone even in these much more responible surroundings can still distract a driver.

It is illegal also here in Queensland to use mobile phones while driving. There are hefty penalties. However this doesn't always stop people unfortunately.

I have to admit that on several occasions when I have been caught in a massive traffic jam, I have used one to call home to say that I would be late. While to my mind I wasn't actually "driving", a I was stationary, Iwas "technically driving". so I can understand the temptations sometimes.
    BelovedChild

A man on a cell phone ran over my husband, partly paralyzed him, and put him in a wheelchair. He ran up over $300,000 in medical bills, a year out of work, etc.

God is good to provide!

The guy was, and to his credit, still is "Sorry" but that doesn't heal Ron.

Our paratransit company now has a policy - cell phone use is immediate grounds for termination. They focus on driving now, like they should.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    A man on a cell phone ran over my husband, partly paralyzed him, and put him in a wheelchair. He ran up over $300,000 in medical bills, a year out of work, etc.

God is good to provide!

Our paratransit company now has a policy - cell phone use is immediate grounds for termination. They focus on driving now, like they should.
    Heather, I am so sorry that happened to your husband, Ron. Thank God for providing your needs, and one of these days Ron & all born again believers will get their glorified bodies. He won't be needing the wheelchair ever again!
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

Praise God!

The REALLY happy day was the one when we threw out the bedpan.

Ron told me, up until the accident, he had doubted my love for him. Never afterward.

Happily Ron can hobble around the house OK without the chair and take care of his "personals". I don't do much more for him than I did when he was "only" blind.

I will say this, because the driver had a cell phone Ron was on a medevac helicopter in 15 minutes. The trauma center treated him like a VIP. The accident was the trigger that started the Bible Handouts.

All things working for good. (Romans 8:28)

I'm just glad I got to keep him. The driver's insurance became so exorbitant (he ran a red light and ran over a blind man) he can no longer drive anything but a motorcycle. He didn't drive anything for several years after the accident and only recently got the bike.

People think we got a "big settlement". After medical bills, we got $2K - and we talked to several lawyers. We were "lucky" to get that.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

We have Bluetooth in both cars, my new car has voice control for the phone as well. I tend not to answer the phone unless it's my husband or a call I know I have to take. I only make calls if I have to tell someone I am running late or there is an emergency. I have a mount for the phone which allows me to see the screen without having to dig around anywhere for it, I got it for the old car, which had Bluetooth, but my navigation screen didn't sync with the phone like this one does.

I get more distracted by my son asking questions and playing his games/movies on his iPad than anything else. I need that car from the Simpsons where the kids are in a separate bubble from the adults/driver, lol. Plus, when I answer the phone he feels the need to have a conversation with the caller as well, since he can hear everything when we are connected to Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post

God is good to provide!

Sorry that happened to your husband. Finding yourself suddenly disabled is never pleasant, but it is during times like these where we can truly see The Lord's Provision for us, when debt's are high and funds are low. I know some of what you have gone thru. I have had 3 back surgeries with the last one putting Rods and Screws in place. Our first 6 months we only had $163 to live on every 2 weeks, no food stamps, a car payment, yet God saw to all our needs including our car payment and Christmas presents for our children. It is awesome how God always shows Himself Strong on our behalf when we are at our weakest.
    John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

God continues to provide amazingly. Some other believers came by the last few days and helped repair my siding. I had a huge hole in the siding on the wall of my bedroom, and other issues. They just came out, very nice, didn't say a word about my messy house... I know they will have a crown for that.

The wild thing for Ron and I, he was already blind at the time of the accident, and he has had more complications (neuropathy) since then. However, God provides for everything, Ron isn't in much pain - I am so glad he was partially paralyzed on the side where he had the impact - the broken bones and damage - because I'm sure he would be eating pain pills if he could feel it. He manages the neuropathy pain by using a back massager on his legs. It works.

For people who drive, I don't envy you - you have to be so careful, so attentive, because one mistake and you could put yourself, a loved one, or someone else in a wheelchair for life - that is, if they survive.

I'm glad I take the bus.

I get my Bibles here

Before cell phones were so prevalent, you mostly watched out for what you were doing, but now you have to watch out for what everyone else is doing in addition to yourself. You basically have to drive for yourself and everyone else because most people are on their phones talking, texting, or updating their Facebook page.

You should see the traffic in Houston - it reminded me of the trailers for the movie "Death Race".

Tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, and speeding are all standard fare on our roads. People drive mean.

I was riding the other day with a nice Christian lady. She let some cars go ahead - they wanted to get out of a parking lot - she let all of them go - aobut 7. The drivers kept gaping at her as she waved "go ahead".

I get my Bibles here

Boston's drivers were quite daring but the scariest place I've ever driven a car through is Salt Lake City. I think the decedents Jehu are concentrated in that area.