Thread: Anyone else here have a flea market booth?

Default Anyone else here have a flea market booth?

I've recently rented a booth in a local flea market. I'm still stocking it. Has anyone else here done that? I'd be interested in ideas on how to make it successful as I hope it to be a supplemental income.

Well, I'm in vending.

You have to offer something the others don't. Maybe a bowl of candy for "lookers". A nice tablecloth. A friendly greeting. A really excellent value that makes them feel like they're "ripping you off".

I am currently running an easter egg hunt in my vending machines.

You also have a GREAT opportunity to put out some tracts, or stick one in each bag for - actually, I'd do both.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Thank you for your reply, Acts. Those are some good ideas.
    Mine is one of many booths in an indoor flea market mall. I don't keep a presence there, but I stock the items and the market owners take care of all sales. I'm trying to appeal to a variety of shoppers. Some look for basic necessities, some look for furniture, and others for home decor items, etc. I have lots of good quality books that I offer at very low prices, because I wish someone to be encouraged or helped by them. Part of my motivation to start this adventure was to de-clutter my home. A couple of days after renting my booth I found out that the toy store where I have been working part-time is closing and I will no longer have the income from it. So I just decided to make a little business out of this. I love browsing flea markets myself so it will be enjoyable work for me. I believe God directed me to this because it came right after 3 days of fasting and prayer. So I'm trusting He will hold my hand and help me.
    I know I need His help to do well.

We all do! God knows I couldn't do a thing without Him.

My parents were told, due to my disabilities, I'd never live on my own. With God's help I live in my own home, with my husband. I take care of my husband (who has physical problems), we manage our business, etc. That's all God.

Homemade things are good, I'd think. Like knit caps. People have always loved it when I made them something.

I'll be praying for God to guide you, and make it loud!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I have never had a booth. I love thrift shopping and yard sale-ing. I like to craft and a lot of the items I buy are for that.
    Not knowing what items will be 'hot' in your booth, it's hard to say what will help you. I know some folks love hand made items (look at etsy.com). I am shocked and amazed at the prices on recyled 'junk'!!! You can often make items for just a few $ and make quite a profit reselling them, if your local economy can support that.
    Here is a few ideas that are popular--scented soap and candles, handpainted glass ware, painted furnature, knitted or crocheted (sp??) items, anything involving cute baby clothes...how about hand crafted items (pillows, throws,) with a local college or professional sports theme?

Did you know that people are hand painting shoes (Toms) and selling them? I guess most of my ideas involving making things for the booth and I dont know if you are 'crafty' or not.

My house, yard and closet are full of thrifted items--including large area rugs, chairs, my freezer came from a yard sale, side tables, lamps, picture frames, pictures, what-nots, baskets, flower pots, childrens bed, fake flowers, etc.

Browse through etsy and pinterest for ideas. Then wait and see what items move fast in your booth. Make sure your items are clean and smell good. Do let us know how it is going.
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

I can tell you what not to stock.
    If I see a booth with cheap stuff from China, I walk right by and don't even look.
    Things I have never been able to resist are rugs, lamps, pretty plates, salt shakers and vases.
    Please ask The Lord to open my daughter's heart, Thank you!

Col 3:15

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. So far I have made more than enough to pay the monthly rent. Today I went to another market at a church. All their stuff is donated and they sell cheap. I have cleaned those things and will resell for a profit. I bought a large wooden frame, 2X4 feet, with no glass. I plan to repaint it a deep aqua color and put a piece of chalkboard in it. I got a wooden end table at Goodwill for $5 and the glass was missing from the top. I painted it and put chalkboard in the open space. It looks very nice...I almost want to keep it....ha! But no I'll take it to the booth tomorrow.

I've been all over Pinterest, and love getting ideas for projects. I like redoing small furniture pieces, but I plan to try to stock a variety of things....only a few clothing items because, in my opinion they make a booth messy. I don't like to shop messy booths myself so I assume others don't like that either.

I have made some hot/cold therapy corn bags and have them there. They are heated in the microwave and are wonderful for sore muscles, to warm a bed on cold nights, to relieve cramps or a headache. There are other uses for them and those who have them, love them. If anyone is interested in making one I'd be glad to share instructions.