Thread: What does it mean to quench or grieve the holy spirit?

Default What does it mean to quench or grieve the holy spirit?

I know we are encouraged not to do that but I dont understand exactly what it is, is it when we sin or do something wrong?
    Matthew 11:28
    Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

"Formerly giest075".

Sorry I can't copy and paste on this device: http://www.gotquestions.org/grieve-q...ly-Spirit.html
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Christ4ever777 View Post
    I know we are encouraged not to do that but I dont understand exactly what it is, is it when we sin or do something wrong?
    The Holy Spirit is a Person, and as a Person can have reactions, such as being grieved. The Holy Spirit is also God, and hence is totally Righteous. Living in us, He enables us and guides us; if we don't heed Him, and follow our own will instead of God's, He is grieved. It can be when we "sin" or when we simply don't follow His guidance. The underlying idea, put positively, is that we are to follow His prompting and also yield when He guides us or attempts to change us in good ways.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Kliska View Post
    Living in us, He enables us and guides us; if we don't heed Him, and follow our own will instead of God's, He is grieved. It can be when we "sin" or when we simply don't follow His guidance.

To put it more simply...

'Grieving' occurs when we do what we shouldnt do.
    'Quenching' occurs when we dont do what we should do.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

To me, to quench the Holy Spirit is like pouring water over His refining fire, minimizing or limiting our sanctification process.

ETA:
    Oop, I just noticed I'm in agreement with Got Questions. iSong , here's your link pasted:

Question: "What does it mean to grieve / quench the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
    When the word “quench” is used in Scripture, it is speaking of suppressing fire. When believers put on the shield of faith, as part of their armor of God (Ephesians 6:16), they are extinguishing the power of the fiery darts from Satan. Christ described hell as a place where the fire would not be “quenched” (Mark 9:44,46,48). Likewise, the Holy Spirit is a fire dwelling in each believer. He wants to express Himself in our actions and attitudes. When believers do not allow the Spirit to be seen in our actions, when we do what we know is wrong, we suppress or quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19). We do not allow the Spirit to reveal Himself the way that He wants to.

To understand what it means to grieve the Spirit, we must first understand that this indicates the Spirit possesses personality. Only a person can be grieved; therefore, the Spirit must be a divine person in order to have this emotion. Once we understand this, we can better understand how He is grieved, mainly because we too are grieved. Ephesians 4:30 tells us that we should not grieve the Spirit. We grieve the Spirit by living like the pagans (4:17-19), by lying (4:25), by being angry (4:26-27), by stealing (4:28), by cursing (4:29), by being bitter (4:31), by being unforgiving (4:32), and by being sexually immoral (5:3-5). To grieve the Spirit is to act out in a sinful manner, whether it is in thought only or in both thought and deed.

Both quenching and grieving the Spirit are similar in their effects. Both hinder a godly lifestyle. Both happen when a believer sins against God and follows his or her own worldly desires. The only correct road to follow is the road that leads the believer closer to God and purity, and farther away from the world and sin. Just as we do not like to be grieved, and just as we do not seek to quench what is good—so we should not grieve or quench the Holy Spirit by refusing to follow His leading.

http://www.gotquestions.org/grieve-q...ly-Spirit.html
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Grieving the Holy Spirit occurs when we commit a sin that we know to be wrong, and especially when we continue in that sin. As for quenching the spirit, I believe it means that we cut short the work of the Spirit in and through us when we're not following His leading in doing what He has called us to do at that particular moment. I hope this helps somewhat.