Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Courson

Default Jon Courson

I listened to Jon Courson today on CSN (Calvary Satellite Network) and was shocked at what I heard. He repeatedly referred to communion as the Eucharistic meal, and talked about "eating and drinking Christ." He said that "eating and drinking Christ" was the way to intimacy with Him, "intimacy happens at the table," and continually downplayed the Bible as the means to really knowing Christ. He said this was what was meant by "o taste and see that the Lord is good." He said this is why they offer it every morning at his church.

I did a search and found other evidence on the internet of such heretical teaching. He presented communion in this way in 2005 at a Calvary Chapel pastor's conference, and many walked out. A letter was written to Chuck Smith about it. People asked for the tape of his talk but it had been locked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan51 View Post
    I listened to Jon Courson today on CSN (Calvary Satellite Network) and was shocked at what I heard. He repeatedly referred to communion as the Eucharistic meal, and talked about "eating and drinking Christ." He said that "eating and drinking Christ" was the way to intimacy with Him, "intimacy happens at the table," and continually downplayed the Bible as the means to really knowing Christ. He said this was what was meant by "o taste and see that the Lord is good." He said this is why they offer it every morning at his church.

I did a search and found other evidence on the internet of such heretical teaching. He presented communion in this way in 2005 at a Calvary Chapel pastor's conference, and many walked out. A letter was written to Chuck Smith about it. People asked for the tape of his talk but it had been locked away.
    He is taking a very strong Liturgical stance and thus replacing the true salvation of Jesus with the elements of wheat and wine supposedly infused with Jesus; he would make the agrarian god Bacchus very proud of him.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Who is Jon Courson? Is he a catholic priest? That's what it sounds like. I hope they are not letting them into the Calvary Chapels.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Quote Originally Posted by dleader View Post
    Who is Jon Courson? Is he a catholic priest? That's what it sounds like. I hope they are not letting them into the Calvary Chapels.
    He is a Calvary Chapel pastor and is normally very good! I've heard him in the pulpit! But just like anyone else, he is capable of getting off track and it sounds like he has. Just makes me sad, he has experienced alot of sadness in his life, he is a good teacher, and to see him get off course.. especially on something like this... just makes me sad.
    "Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."Isaiah 40:31

And what's just as sad is that leadership did not speak up against his teaching at this conference. Such silence condones. Why? For the sake of personal considerations? I don't know what happened since then--I hope it was properly dealt with. Paul spoke publicly against Peter's public error, not letting friendship compromise doctrinal truth.

Quote Originally Posted by dleader View Post
    He is the pastor of Applegate Christian Fellowship in Applegate, Oregon and I have sat under his teaching over the years when he was an assistant pastor at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa, CA. His church is no longer affiliated with the Calvary Chapel churches. I think it would be worthwhile for those who question what he was speaking of by checking some of his books out and especially his commentaries on the OT and NT. I have his commentaries and they are spot-on. I have listened to him teach in person like I said and I have heard nothing but solid teaching. I know that he can get very descriptive in his sermons and so he might have been misunderstood. Now I didn't hear him speak about all this as what posted here. So I don't know what it was all about. You might even attempt to contact him directly and ask him. I just don't think he's preaching something that is that far out.

If anyone gets anymore information about all this I sure would appreciate a post on it.
    Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (Romans 12:12 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Biblebabe View Post
    If anyone gets anymore information about all this I sure would appreciate a post on it.
    I can't copy on this device and some links are too long to type out, but if you Google Jon Courson eucharist there are several articles on this subject.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

This is sad. Sorry to hear about this.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Well I will try to get some time to look over what google has and then try to contact him. I live in the same state as where his church is and I even have been to it. So stay tuned. Please give me some time on this--I am over my head in projects right now.
    Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (Romans 12:12 NIV)

No rush, Bb. Don't miss the one by Roger Oakland.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

I know another pastor from that neck of the woods who is now at one of the several CC in Salem, Oregon. He's kind of a rock star there and it's really gone to his head; telling off color jokes and horror stories about his past. When I first met him I told him about a serious problem I was having with alcohol and he said, "Oh, you don't have to tell me that", and quickly walked away.

We recently found a great new Calvary Chapel just 4 miles away and this pastor is the polar opposite of the other guy. Very concerned for his flock and no vulgar jokes.

Just read Roger Oakland's story. Very enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by NoProvision View Post
    I know another pastor from that neck of the woods who is now at one of the several CC in Salem, Oregon. He's kind of a rock star there and it's really gone to his head; telling off color jokes and horror stories about his past. When I first met him I told him about a serious problem I was having with alcohol and he said, "Oh, you don't have to tell me that", and quickly walked away.

We recently found a great new Calvary Chapel just 4 miles away and this pastor is the polar opposite of the other guy. Very concerned for his flock and no vulgar jokes.

Just read Roger Oakland's story. Very enlightening.
    I am so sorry that you had that experience. But guess what? Man is filled with a sinful nature even if saved. We humans are not perfect. And that goes for pastors. I could tell you a horror story that I am going through right now that would curl your toes. But it would distract people from the true Gospel message. It is not worth posting one more word of it here because the focus is not one man, but JESUS.

Now with that said, let me tell you that this CC pastor is not the first that I have heard of that has lost his way. There is a large CC church that is in Laguna Hills, CA that was planted and grown by a man who was a messianic Jew like myself. He became extremely popular. And he too had an ego. He also conducted himself improperly with a lady and was asked to step down. He reared up like a rabid dog and fought to the point of threatening legal action. In the end he had to go. Meantime he wounded so many people that whatever good he had done prior to his fall was left pretty mangled (including in people's hearts).

I will reiterate, "NO MAN IS PERFECT." You can find fault with each and every pastor. And that includes pastors that people like to use against someone they don't like or find fault with. We are all walking around in our "sin suits" right now. So there is bound to be disagreements and even criticism. I find this myself. So believe me, I'm not excluding myself.

But what God has revealed to me is that through my own horrific experience He is still alive. He lives!!! And that is where our focus should be--Jesus and His Word. The rest we need to leave to the Lord to deal with.

I have had incredible growth under some of the pastors that people have found fault with on this site. And what God continues to teach me is He will use the good AND the bad to help train me up and teach me the truth.

I am well aware of Roger Oakland. And I know people like to bring him up everytime there is controversy. But I just wonder how he would feel knowing that. I doubt he would be pleased. Because he (like so many who truly seek the truth of the Word) is trying to help us keep our eyes on Jesus.

There is so much to do now. We are so close. Are we going to focus on what's wrong instead of what's right? Righteousness is the goal right? So like you, my friend, I am now going to try another church and try to keep in the truth, the way and the life.

I hope all will understand what I write here. And know that I say it with deep love and care. Without those I fellowship with and seek to give and receive encouragement I would be crawling in the desert...

He is the pastor of Applegate Christian Fellowship in Applegate, Oregon and I have sat under his teaching over the years when he was an assistant pastor at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa, CA. His church is no longer affiliated with the Calvary Chapel churches. .
    I have not heard this before. When did he stop being affiliated with Calvary Chapels? When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I have not heard this before. When did he stop being affiliated with Calvary Chapels? When did this happen?
    Oh Muddy--

You would have to call Applegate and ask them directly for an exact date, but I know it's at least five or six years now. I had already moved to Oregon when I found out and had visited their church. So that's all I can give you. Sorry...

Oh Muddy--

You would have to call Applegate and ask them directly for an exact date, but I know it's at least five or six years now. I had already moved to Oregon when I found out and had visited their church. So that's all I can give you. Sorry...
    That's OK I just wondered. I wonder if this unaffiliation coincided with his returning to Applegate after being at Costa Mesa for several years in the early to mid 2000's? I am not local to this congregation, but have listened online many times. He is probably one of my favorite Calvary Chapel pastors to listen to.

I'm a bit confused by some of the details here... Applegate Christian Fellowship is still listed on the Calvary Chapel list of "finding a church in your area."

http://calvarychapelassociation.com/churches/

That's OK I just wondered. I wonder if this unaffiliation coincided with his returning to Applegate after being at Costa Mesa for several years in the early to mid 2000's? I am not local to this congregation, but have listened online many times. He is probably one of my favorite Calvary Chapel pastors to listen to.
    Yes. He's a good one (in spite of contrary opinions here). Might want to luck up Searchlight. That is the name of his program. May be online to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Accepted View Post
    I'm a bit confused by some of the details here... Applegate Christian Fellowship is still listed on the Calvary Chapel list of "finding a church in your area."

http://calvarychapelassociation.com/churches/
    Wow. I didn't know that. I think what I will do is call over there and find out. Then I report back.

Yes. He's a good one (in spite of contrary opinions here). Might want to luck up Searchlight. That is the name of his program. May be online to watch...
    Yes, I have listened to and watched many of his sermons there. It is a great resource. I also subscribe to his radio program on iTunes. (currently...his study through Revelations)

Yes, I have listened to and watched many of his sermons there. It is a great resource. I also subscribe to his radio program on iTunes. (currently...his study through Revelations)
    Oh that's a good one. I am studying Dr. David Jeremiah's study on Revelation right now myself. It's excellent.