Thread: Red/Blue/Green flashing object in sky. A satellite?

Question Red/Blue/Green flashing object in sky. A satellite?

I was wondering if anyone, in the past few years, have seen this object in the night sky. It's about the relative size of a star from the ground and it constantly strobes red, blue, and green light. If it's a satellite it's in sync opposite of the planet's rotation because it moves with the star field. It's also usually about a hand-width above the horizon when visible (not sure the angle of degrees). I've tried to see it through a telescope but it's just a strobing spot of light. I would imaging if you could get close to the object it would be nearly blinding. I watched it long enough to know it's definitely not atmospheric twinkling because you can't twinkle in different colors all that easily. lol. The last time I saw it was in the summer, I believe, and it was in the South/Southwest sky (Missouri).

On another memory note, I think I've seen a news story out of Cape Girardeau, MO of possibly this very thing so I know others have seen it already. Anyone else?
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Around this time of year last year I saw something exactly like what you are describing right after the sun went down. I was convinced it wasn't suppose to be there. It turned out to be Venus! What tipped me off was that it was there for a long time and slowly moved towards the horizon. Venus and Saturn are really bright at certain times of the year and they really twinkle intensely.

That's odd. Normally when I thought I was looking at Venus it was a good sized white dot and wasn't doing much twinkling. This thing I saw really appeared to be emitting these colors though and it wasn't as large as what I saw as Venus though... hmm..
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

the ISS?

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    the ISS?
    I don't think so... Unless they added it to it because from what I've gathered it's a moving bright white reflection up there.

Default Watching and waiting!!!

Greetings

First of all stars have no apparent size either naked eye or in a telescope. They are point sources of light. They differ only in apparent brightness and color. A brighter star is not necessarily "bigger" than a dimmer star, it may just be closer to us. However, optical physics dictates that all point sources of light have the same size called an "Airy disc"(Google it). Even the closest star is 4.3 light years away which is about =24 trillion miles.It's an unimaginably huge distance, there is just no way to see the star as anything other than a point of light.

Secondly, when bright stars get that close to the horizon they will twinkle with all the colors of the rainbow depending on the atmospheric conditions.

It's not the space station since it obviously moves much more rapidly than the Earth rotates.

Planets generally don't twinkle, but they can given a very turbulent atmosphere. Possibly what you saw was a geosynchronous satellite but I doubt it since they are in very high orbits very far away and very very dim.

Maybe a distant plane flying directly toward you, a planet(Jupiter,Venus,Saturn) a bright star.
    Since I don't believe in UFO's, that's not a possibility. However, I do believe that satin uses what many people think are UFO's as just deception for demonic activity. Don't fall for the UFO thing, it's a lie!
    I've been looking at the night sky for 40 years and have never seen a UFO. I would say a star or planet close to the horizon.

In Christ,
    ds
    IN CHRIST JESUS,
    Dave

Galatians 5:22–23
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
    23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Hi WarriorX....I use to see these alot down here in southwest florida....back about 5 years ago, i couldn't sleep one night, so i went out to sit on my lanai around 3:00a.m.
    i saw up in the sky exactly what you described...i have powerful binoculars, i counted 7 of these things...some were stationary and others were moving very slow, i watched the ones moving, they always moved west to east...and with a purpose(something was controlling these things)....i thought for sure i'd see something on the news the next day about these objects in the sky, but nothing...i saw them a number of times after that...the exact colors you mentioned seemed to rotate around the object...some were very high in the sky and much farther away, while others were lower in the sky and closer in...shortly after that i moved and i no longer have a good view of the sky at night...i've often wondered about those things though, maybe one day we'll know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NoProvision View Post
    Around this time of year last year I saw something exactly like what you are describing right after the sun went down. I was convinced it wasn't suppose to be there. It turned out to be Venus! What tipped me off was that it was there for a long time and slowly moved towards the horizon. Venus and Saturn are really bright at certain times of the year and they really twinkle intensely.
    Planets don't twinkle. So if they were really twinkling, my guess is not Venus & Saturn...

http://earthsky.org/space/why-dont-p...le-as-stars-do

Nothing else nearby this light source was twinkling and the color seemed to strobe in pattern. It just seemed way too obvious to be mere twinkling. Nothing else above or below it looked like it.

I've seen the same thing for years down here in southwest Florida too. It used to freak me out almost every night' it was always in the same spot and after acouple of hours just sitting there twinkling red green and blue, it would quickly move west out over the gulf and disappear. I looked through my binocular at it many times and it always looked the same...oval shaped white object with small changing colored lights, like little windows. I always wondered why I never saw anything about on the local news, but I never did. It was creepy. I don't know if it's still there out over the gulf, I quit looking for it a while ago.

I have seen what you are talking about. I even showed my husband and he didn't know what it was. I did research and thought maybe it was the planet Sirius, but I don't see the object anymore. I have read a lot about the US drone program and wonder if in fact drones have already been flying around this country. Who knows, but it is very unsettling.

I have seen the strobbing star you are talking about often. From my house it is always in the west north western sky and moves with the rest of the stars to the rotation of the earth. I think it is Sirius, but I'm not sure.

Try free open source planetarium software for your computer. It's called Stellarium. I've been using for the past 1 month and it's great and fun. All you have to set your coordinates (your city & state) and you're good to go. It will tell you exactly where is Sirius, Polaris, Venus, Jupiter, etc. Also check out comet Panstarrs 2013. It's all in there.

Also, you can adjust time and place, for example Jerusalem on November 3, 2013 at around 2:00 PM, you'll notice an eclipse of sun & moon (solar eclipse).

Download the software from http://stellarium.org/

Hope it helps! -chazzz

if you see it all year round then i cant tell you what it is, but if you only see it in the winter then its Sirius the "dog star" in Canis Major. If you know what the constellation Orion looks like then youll know that its Sirius, because Sirius follows Orion. Hench the nickname "the dog star."

According to Burnham's Celestial Handbook, other names for it include "The Sparkling One" or "The Scorching One." The star appears a brilliant white with a tinge of blue, but when the air is unsteady, or when the star is low to the horizon, it seems to flicker and splinter with all the colors of the rainbow.

http://www.space.com/19922-sirius-br...night-sky.html
    Joh 14:6 λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου

Joh 14:6 dicit ei Iesus ego sum via et veritas et vita nemo venit ad Patrem nisi per me

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
    Try free open source planetarium software for your computer. It's called Stellarium. I've been using for the past 1 month and it's great and fun. All you have to set your coordinates (your city & state) and you're good to go. It will tell you exactly where is Sirius, Polaris, Venus, Jupiter, etc. Also check out comet Panstarrs 2013. It's all in there.

Also, you can adjust time and place, for example Jerusalem on November 3, 2013 at around 2:00 PM, you'll notice an eclipse of sun & moon (solar eclipse).

Download the software from http://stellarium.org/

Hope it helps! -chazzz
    awesome, thanks!

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Often they are telecommunication satellites - very shiney. Military - spy satellites try to hide (minimal reflective surfaces).

Some are in geosynchronus orbit (don't move - hovers over the same spot on earth)

or stationary orbit - moves with star field. The strobe-like twinkling is your best indicator of a satelite as planets have a more steady glow.

I believe there is a pulsar that is similar, but a star map will help you find it. The Night Sky was a helpful web site.

The ISS is further away and smaller.
    I happened to catch the shuttle and the ISS one night and they orbit faster like a jet crossing the sky growing then fading in reflected
    intensity as the angle to the sun changes.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Forgot to mention that you can find satellites in Stellarium software.

Quote Originally Posted by cheymat View Post
    if you see it all year round then i cant tell you what it is, but if you only see it in the winter then its Sirius the "dog star" in Canis Major. If you know what the constellation Orion looks like then youll know that its Sirius, because Sirius follows Orion. Hench the nickname "the dog star."

http://www.space.com/19922-sirius-br...night-sky.html
    I think I saw Sirius the last month or so, but last night I actually had my glasses on and was confounded to see that it was twinkling blue, green, white, even flashes of red at times! I thought for sure it was the space station because did not know stars actually had that phenomenon. I remembered this thread and so have come to review it -- so thanks for this information because it is the same thing I found with an internet search that it most likely is Sirius. And isn't that the big dog star (just to clarify)?
    Mary Brown

John 15:18-25

Revelation 4:1
    New International Version (©1984)
    After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown1219 View Post
    I think I saw Sirius the last month or so, but last night I actually had my glasses on and was confounded to see that it was twinkling blue, green, white, even flashes of red at times! I thought for sure it was the space station because did not know stars actually had that phenomenon. I remembered this thread and so have come to review it -- so thanks for this information because it is the same thing I found with an internet search that it most likely is Sirius. And isn't that the big dog star (just to clarify)?
    Yep its the really big one!
    Joh 14:6 λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου

Joh 14:6 dicit ei Iesus ego sum via et veritas et vita nemo venit ad Patrem nisi per me

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Actually Cheymat you were right the first time. Sirius is the dog star, and Canis Major is the big dog constellation.

http://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/...brightest-star Visit link for full article and awesome photos.

Excerpted from article:

History and Myth

Sirius is also well known as the Dog Star, because it is the chief star in the constellation Canis Major, the Big Dog. Have you ever heard anyone speak of the dog days of summer? Sirius is behind the sun as seen from Earth in Northern Hemisphere summer. In late summer, it appears in the east before sunrise – near the sun in our sky. The early stargazers might have imagined that the double-whammy of Sirius and the sun caused the hot weather, or dog days.

ETA: http://www.google.com/search?q=large...w=1536&bih=788
    Last edited by mbrown1219; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added link to photo gallery of awesome stars
    Mary Brown

John 15:18-25

Revelation 4:1
    New International Version (©1984)
    After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."