Thread: Adultery

Default Adultery

If someone commits adultery and they marry the person they committed adultery with are they still living in sin? Why I am asking is that me and my dad were talking and we were saying that they would still be living in sin and I was wanting to get someone else's opinion on it.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

I for one, have far more questions than possible answers at this point in time.

There is much in your limited scenario we do not know and therefore cannot comment on...

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

I firmly believe that God forgives and will even bless that union if they give their marriage and family to the Lord. Satan would lie to us and say that this is "unforgivable" but we are not to listen to him

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    I for one, have far more questions than possible answers at this point in time.

There is much in your limited scenario we do not know and therefore cannot comment on...
    What we were talking about is my cousin's ex-husband. He committed adultery on her and ended up marrying the woman and we were talking about if they were still sinning or not. I was telling him about how David married Bathsheba after they committed adultery and I don't think David continued to live in sin but I was wondering what the bible might say about this. I looked on the internet but I couldn't find anything on this paticular situation.

Quote Originally Posted by amygrace View Post
    I firmly believe that God forgives and will even bless that union if they give their marriage and family to the Lord. Satan would lie to us and say that this is "unforgivable" but we are not to listen to him
    The person we were discussing goes to church. He was and still is a preacher in our town. I do hope that him and her are saved. Him and my cousin were more like an aunt and uncle to me growing up than cousins. I know that he regrets doing what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by chj View Post
    If someone commits adultery and they marry the person they committed adultery with are they still living in sin? Why I am asking is that me and my dad were talking and we were saying that they would still be living in sin and I was wanting to get someone else's opinion on it.
    It depends. It depends on the repercussions, and the ongoing pain being caused by their adultery and marriage. It also depends on their attitude toward God; faith and grace are personal matters, and it is always hoped that repentance will happen in these cases.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Here is a link that explains adultery/remarriage with Bible verses...

http://www.gotquestions.org/remarriage-adultery.html

King David is a good example for this because he was married to 7 wives that we know of and had 10 concubines as well that Absolam eventually had sex with as well. I believe God would say he was continually living in sin with all but his first wife. He was however forgivin and blessed even with all that sexual sin in his life. So I would think God would forgive and bless this guys new marriage
    Ephesians 2:8-9 "8 For by Grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

What we were talking about is my cousin's ex-husband. He committed adultery on her and ended up marrying the woman and we were talking about if they were still sinning or not. I was telling him about how David married Bathsheba after they committed adultery and I don't think David continued to live in sin but I was wondering what the bible might say about this. I looked on the internet but I couldn't find anything on this paticular situation.

The person we were discussing goes to church. He was and still is a preacher in our town. I do hope that him and her are saved. Him and my cousin were more like an aunt and uncle to me growing up than cousins. I know that he regrets doing what he did.
    My marriage to my now husband was, biblically, considered adultery. I was divorced before I got saved for reasons that aren't prescribed by the Bible. With that said, I believe the concept of "perpetual adultery" is a false teaching, and a damaging one. God never demands that in order to repent of one sin (adultery) you must commit another (divorce). That would be like saying if a woman becomes pregnant out of wedlock the only way to repent would be to have an abortion. That would be ludicrous! God expects us to ask His forgiveness and commit ourselves, and our relationships, to His honor and service.

The one aspect of your post that concerns me is the portion where you mention he is a preacher. Is he a pastor or a preacher? Divorce and remarriage disqualifies someone from being a pastor or deacon, but not necessarily from preaching or teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus2 View Post
    Is he a pastor or a preacher? Divorce and remarriage disqualifies someone from being a pastor or deacon, but not necessarily from preaching or teaching.
    +1
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

My marriage to my now husband was, biblically, considered adultery. I was divorced before I got saved for reasons that aren't prescribed by the Bible. With that said, I believe the concept of "perpetual adultery" is a false teaching, and a damaging one. God never demands that in order to repent of one sin (adultery) you must commit another (divorce). That would be like saying if a woman becomes pregnant out of wedlock the only way to repent would be to have an abortion. That would be ludicrous! God expects us to ask His forgiveness and commit ourselves, and our relationships, to His honor and service.

The one aspect of your post that concerns me is the portion where you mention he is a preacher. Is he a pastor or a preacher? Divorce and remarriage disqualifies someone from being a pastor or deacon, but not necessarily from preaching or teaching.
    He would be considered a pastor by your description. He is still pastoring a church in town. When we were discussing it I pointed out to my dad that David married Bathsheeba after they had committed adultery and I could not find anything on the internet about this. I understand what you are saying and we did not have a clear understanding on how God views these things and we were thinking that it still would be considered adultery but the David and Bathsheeba thing contradicts this view.

If there are punishments to every sin, God certainly forgives every sin too especially if those who commit such sins would ask for forgiveness. Adultery is one of the punishable acts that is prohibited by God when He issued the 10 Commandments to Moises. The situation you gave is such a limited peak on the entire scenario, however, I am pretty sure that God will forgive your dad and his partner and that their marriage will eventually be blessed because they are now tied to each other with God's holiness.

He would be considered a pastor by your description. He is still pastoring a church in town. When we were discussing it I pointed out to my dad that David married Bathsheeba after they had committed adultery and I could not find anything on the internet about this. I understand what you are saying and we did not have a clear understanding on how God views these things and we were thinking that it still would be considered adultery but the David and Bathsheeba thing contradicts this view.
    A couple of things to bear in mind here. The first being that the consequences of David's sin of adultery were not only disastrous, they lead to him committing another horrible sin - murder. Just because David committed adultery and was still considered "a man after God's own heart" does not mean his actions pleased God, nor does it excuse adultery. Another thing to bear in mind is, according to God's law, David marrying Bathsheba was not adultery, as she was a widow.

The New Testament lays out the qualifications for deacons and pastors. A pastor or deacon is to be the husband of one wife. Adultery would nullify such a standard. It doesn't mean he can't be used by God or that he won't go to heaven if he's truly saved, but it does mean he should do the honorable thing and own up to his sin, fully repent, and step down from being a pastor.

A couple of things to bear in mind here. The first being that the consequences of David's sin of adultery were not only disastrous, they lead to him committing another horrible sin - murder. Just because David committed adultery and was still considered "a man after God's own heart" does not mean his actions pleased God, nor does it excuse adultery. Another thing to bear in mind is, according to God's law, David marrying Bathsheba was not adultery, as she was a widow.

The New Testament lays out the qualifications for deacons and pastors. A pastor or deacon is to be the husband of one wife. Adultery would nullify such a standard. It doesn't mean he can't be used by God or that he won't go to heaven if he's truly saved, but it does mean he should do the honorable thing and own up to his sin, fully repent, and step down from being a pastor.
    I realize that david did sin by committing adultery and then murder and that he was punished for it later in life. I knew about the pastor and deacon part.