Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America's Egg Shortage: How The Bird Flu Is Affecting Consumers

Quote Originally Posted by PaigeWhitley View Post
    I had been planning to buy dried eggs off amazon or walmart.com. I went to look online today and one brand was sold out, and the others had doubled, tripled and quadrupled in price.
    Meanwhile at the grocery store, the usual box of 5 dozen eggs I get that's typically 8.95 was up to 13.00 today. I guess I'll be looking into that flax recipe posted above.
    Oh, salad was also gravely low, as in, ONLY boxed kale was left. Coincidence or is there also a salad virus going around?
    Hmmmm....not sure.....

Was thinking about this today though for eggs.....

http://www.wikihow.com/Dehydrate-Eggs-for-Powdered-Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick777 View Post
    Whether the venture is cost effective or not, there seems to be unanimous agreement that once youíve eaten FRESH eggs, as opposed to store bought eggs, that youíre spoiled for life. With all the farmerís markets popping up this summer, Iím anxious to check that out for myself. Yum.
    For a year or two when I was living in Nebraska we bought fresh eggs from a local small farmer. I couldn't tell the difference in taste, quality, etc., but there were some folks doing the same that made a big deal about how much better the fresh eggs were. In consumables, if there is a difference, I usually notice it.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by PaigeWhitley View Post
    I had been planning to buy dried eggs off amazon or walmart.com. I went to look online today and one brand was sold out, and the others had doubled, tripled and quadrupled in price.
    Meanwhile at the grocery store, the usual box of 5 dozen eggs I get that's typically 8.95 was up to 13.00 today. I guess I'll be looking into that flax recipe posted above.
    Oh, salad was also gravely low, as in, ONLY boxed kale was left. Coincidence or is there also a salad virus going around?
    You can still find dried scrambled eggs on ebay, Augason Farms and Mountain House. Just checked, but boy have they gone up. I bought 3 cans over the last couple of yrs (which I have not used as they are just for emergencies). I just heard on the radio this am that they have doubled in a one month time frame and most likely going higher. This is crazy. Eggs used to be a economical source of protein but it looks as tho they may become a luxury (like steak).

Just regular large eggs $2.24 today, not the fancy brown or cage free ones.
    Next wk probably $2.50 or so....

Quote Originally Posted by savedatcamp View Post
    Just regular large eggs $2.24 today, not the fancy brown or cage free ones.
    Next wk probably $2.50 or so....
    I'm outside of Alaska for a few more days. Your current prices are getting close to what ours were before the recent price rise... I'm not anxious to discover what I'll be paying for eggs when I get back home...

I read that one can greatly extend long term storage of fresh eggs by coating them with mineral oil. Up to nine months. I am going to do more research on that.

I am thinking of raising chickens. I've never done it before but with prices these days I'm starting to worry. My neighbor raises them and he could show me the ropes. Everything is just sky high now! Steak is off the charts!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    I am thinking of raising chickens. I've never done it before but with prices these days I'm starting to worry. My neighbor raises them and he could show me the ropes. Everything is just sky high now! Steak is off the charts!
    Hamburger is the new steak. Beans are the new hamburger...

I read that one can greatly extend long term storage of fresh eggs by coating them with mineral oil. Up to nine months. I am going to do more research on that.
    You may want to find another preservative other than mineral oil which is a petroleum bi-product. Egg shells are porous, the oil does eventually transfer through to the egg, yuck.

Eggs on sale this week at my Wal Greens. $1.29/dozen.

Glad for it. We are predicted triple digit temps all week and had planned to make a big bowl of tuna fish salad for sandwiches.
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

So do you instant/dried egg purchasers put the stuff in plastic easter eggs?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

ďOh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    So do you instant/dried egg purchasers put the stuff in plastic easter eggs?

We started a little flock this year. 6 chicks. Should be laying by the end of summer. Exciting.
    For me it want about the money, it was about availability & knowing where our food comes from

Large dozen eggs $2.99 just now at Kroger.
    Wonder where they will be next wk?

I'm back in Fairbanks after being gone for a bit. At the military commissary a dozen eggs was $4 and something. When I saw that Freddy's had the five dozen box for $10.50 I snapped up a box... That box will probably be closer to $20 next time I need eggs.

It doesn't cost a lot to raise chickens. Baby chicks cost $2-$4 each and start laying after just a few months. We buy huge bags of feed that last us several weeks for just $16. Then there's water. You can also feed them almost all of your kitchen scraps, which reduces waste. If anything goes wrong with a chicken you can try treating them at home, you CAN take them to a poultry vet, but since they're livestock you can also just cull them. (We haven't had to do that!)

With 7 laying chickens (we have 4 more will be laying soon) we get about 6 eggs every day. We eat them almost daily, but have plenty of extra that neighbors happily pay us $2-$5 for a dozen. Plus, I just love my ladies grazing in the backyard! They're so pretty and lots of fun.

Avian Flu is making a comeback. (Different strain)
    It has been pretty much epidemic in Europe, and just recently showed up in the U.S.
    Only a few farms so far, but it is here.
    Walking in The Light of His Word.

This is the first Ive heard of it. Those prices are insane! I have neighbor who has chickens and he brings me eggs frequently. If I ever get my own house I want to raise chickens.
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

You can still find dried scrambled eggs on ebay, Augason Farms and Mountain House. Just checked, but boy have they gone up. I bought 3 cans over the last couple of yrs (which I have not used as they are just for emergencies). I just heard on the radio this am that they have doubled in a one month time frame and most likely going higher.
    After reading this, I went and looked at dried/powdered eggs.
    Just over a dollar an ounce, which brings the question to mind:
    How many eggs is an ounce of powder?

This is crazy. Eggs used to be a economical source of protein but it looks as tho they may become a luxury (like steak).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Hamburger is the new steak. Beans are the new hamburger...
    I have become quite fond of pinto beans over the past dozen years.
    Dried beans are about 6 cents a serving, plus whatever it costs (gas, wood electric) to cook them.
    (For the uninitiated you need to check out the youtube video on "cleaning" them before cooking them)

Large dozen eggs $2.99 just now at Kroger.
    Wonder where they will be next wk?
    This was posted near the end of the price spike in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    This is the first Ive heard of it. Those prices are insane! I have neighbor who has chickens and he brings me eggs frequently. If I ever get my own house I want to raise chickens.
    The egg shortage in 2015 hit in early June and just about doubled the price of eggs.
    It lasted the better part of a year. Didn't affect chicken prices. In fact, farms doing
    early harvest, as an insurance against having to cull a lot of birds later, drove
    the price of chicken down in the early summer.

After that episode, and the one with swine flue a year or two beofore, I began
    a program of scanning certain medical blogs that provide an early warning for
    epidemics. I have been watching this one for a few weeks, as it consumed Europe,
    to the point we sent eggs to them to help restart some of their farms that had
    to be culled.
    Walking in The Light of His Word.

Recently our eggs have been historically inexpensive for up here. I just bought 2 dozen large eggs for $1.29 each. The regular price is $2 or more for a dozen, notwithstanding shortages. We get most of our eggs from Washington state and I think we pay less than many on the west coast. We don't have free range requirements or any other such thing... I do like a couple of eggs over easy from time to time... hope prices don't shoot up.