Thread: The Key to Evangelism

Default The Key to Evangelism

I have seen many methods of sharing one's faith with people, and strangers in particular. I am passionate about Evangelism and have learned that the only key to Evangelism is Jesus.

Jesus is the Word that became flesh. The more we read His Word, the more we know. I heard John MacArthur say that all of the parables were the gospel. I didn't initially agree, but I get it now. Reading through the Bible often, I see so much that I previously didn't understand. The more I've read, the easier it is to share my faith and God's Word with people. Admittedly, I haven't led many people to the Lord that I'm aware of, but I share my faith regularly. I trust that those people will get saved someday, or they won't, and that is between those people and our Lord.

This verse has also helped me overcome my fear of sharing my faith: "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." Jesus, in John 6:44

I truly believe that if/when I share my faith with someone, God is drawing them near. Whatever those people do with the information I share with them is their decision. Whether you are a reformed believer or not, we have to realize that we cannot ascertain the salvation of someone else, that is solely between them and God.

So I sow the seeds that God blesses me with. He who sows sparingly will reap sparingly. He who sows bountifully will reap bountifully. Sow the Word to those around you with love and without partiality.

"Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” Matthew 9:35-38

I really like how you put this. I think I am slowly learning some of these same lessons.

The more I go out specifically to do evangelism, the less I worry about the results it seems. I leave the results to God. I am being obedient in going, so He can do His will. Who am I, the clay, to tell the potter how to do His work? Lately I have also realized, that even without saying a word, I can go into a place and pray for the people there to be saved. Prayer is powerful.

I think if I am ever given the privilege of leading someone to salvation, I may cry more than they do, just for the joy of it. Hmm, well, perhaps then, it is better if this never happens!

I really like how you said that it is most important to keep reading the Word. I just thought of this. Evangelism is kind of like telling someone about your best friend. The better you know that friend, the easier it will be to talk about them. If you hardly know them, it will be difficult to tell.

Also, we should be smiling when we tell. I was in a store a few days ago, and a salesperson wanted to sell me something. He was smiling, and energetic, and was trying to get me to come over and buy. He said something like, " have you heard?" and I asked, " heard what?" and he said something about what he was selling. Then I smiled back at him and said, "oh, I thought you were going to tell me about Jesus!". He got it I think, i think he smiled a tiny bit. I wasn't able to stop and chat, but just that simple moment may have had an impact. If nothing else, the name Jesus was spoken for many to hear.

I think this is also why we are supposed to strengthen each other, and encourage each other.

Just smile and tell the world about your best friend, Jesus!
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Focus on sin, repentance, and the need for a Savior. Too many methods neglect much of the Gospel. We have for so long offered a cure to those who don't realize they're terminally ill. Walk them through the Law of God (Ten Commandments) and show them how they are a hopeless sinner. Then, the sinner will see why they need a Savior and the Gospel will truly become Good News. Tell them their only hope is to turn from their sins and put their trust in Christ alone for salvation.

www.needgod.com