Thread: Any other doll collectors here?

Default Any other doll collectors here?

Hi sisters and ladies

I was just curious if any of you were also collectors of fashion dolls like Barbie, Dawn (by Topper), or Ever After High.

I have a decent sized collection of vintage Barbie dolls, mostly from the early 60s thru the MOD era 1967-72 (or thereabout). I also have some smaller dolls like Dawn, a 6.5 inch doll from the 70s by Topper Toys. I also have several Ever After High dolls, and love them for their articulation and design.

I also have many playsets, carrying cases, clothes (mostly "mommy made" finds on Ebay or thrift stores), and a few vehicles. I have been a Barbie collector since I was 4, and I'm 51 now. Of course I do not spend loads of money on them, but I have gotten some great deals on dolls, and met some Christian people who enjoy them too. The Lord has even led me to finding some great bargains at the thrift store on dolls.

One last thing to mention...I sometimes sew for my dolls, and also occasionally do restorations or minor repaints.

If you're a fashion doll collector I'd love to get to know you!
    love in Christ Jesus & prayers,
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

I do not collect per se but with 2 younger daughters we have quite the American Girl (and knockoff) set going on. I bought 2 huge 4-shelf industrial like garage shelving/bookcase style which we are converting to an AG dollhouse. Here are my favorite thrift finds so far (beside buying Journey Girl, Our Generation, etc knockoff furniture):
    -Several months after school started last year I found two different magnetic mini-lamps that are meant to go inside high school girls lockers. They were 75% off since school was well underway. Now we have perfect sized working chandelier and funky ceiling lamp for AG dining room and bedroom
    -Thx to their daddy my girls think potty humor is funny and they loved the little toilet that came w a Barbie house. They make tiny potties for collector dollhouses too but apparently AG's only bathe because a tub is all they sell for 18" doll bathrooms. However, Google Amazon and $5 got us a ceramic toilet-shaped coffee mug! Just right size opening for an AG backside!
    -More Google Amazon and $2 got us a paperclip holder that looks like a sink basin. The "faucet and knobs" are magnetized as it's supposed to make a chain of paper clips look like they're flowing down into the basin. Add a small painted box with a single tile on top then glue on the sink - wahlah! Hang a compact size mirror above it -a perfect bathroom vanity for AG sized hands!
    Toots

My niece has 5 AG dolls, the authentic ones. She really enjoyed them when she was younger, although now she is more into anime, and Broadway musicals.

These are just some of the dolls I collect:

Ever After High Cerise Wood, Faybelle Thorn, & Darling Charming:

Francie (Barbie's "MODern" cousin, vintage 11 1/4" doll) wearing an outfit made in the early 2000s:

Pippa (6.5 inch doll from the UK by Palitoy):

I have many others too but I'll stop here for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

All your dolls are very beautiful!

Angelina went through an American Girl phase also. She has her 2 AG dolls, one just like her doll and Isabelle. She doesn't play with them as much anymore either and she also, like your niece, is very much into anime. She is always watching some anime show and wanted me to buy some sort of anime boxes or something where you pay $25 a month and they send you a box with various anime stuff in it. To that I said no. But for Easter bought her some books on how to draw anime. She is very talented with drawing (unlike me) and she's done some pretty cool stuff!

For me, I like to color but not to draw. I prefer buying one of the adult coloring books and coloring that. I was doing that a lot for awhile, not so much lately. All my prismacolor pencils, Ang now has them. I think she's been taking care of them so far though. Not sure, will have to check on that.

I loved Barbies when I was younger. I probably had 40 (and still have them) Although one year for Christmas when we were newly married, my husband bought me the Rapunzel Barbie. She's still in the box. I also bought the Snow White one, and she's still in the box. My daughter loves the Ever After High Dolls. I love the one with the long hair (Hollie?).

I also have other dolls I collected when I was younger. Some of my favorites are porcelain Hollie Hobby dolls and the cloth Precious Moments Dolls.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

I don't collect them, but I love dolls.

Thank you all for your replies!

I have about 200 or so vintage Barbies. I no longer actively pursue "new" stuff, as I was spending too much on it and the Lord showed me that. Every so often, if I see something I might want, I always pray about it first before getting it.

Sometimes I also do some minor restoration or repaint to a doll. I don't have a steady hand, so I can't paint that well, but I can do minor stuff like changing eye or lip colors, or repainting faded eyebrows. The Lord has helped me find a lot of "TLC" dolls, and it's so fun to fix them up on the cheap and bring them back to their original beauty!
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sing4theLord View Post

I have about 200 or so vintage Barbies. I no longer actively pursue "new" stuff, as I was spending too much on it and the Lord showed me that. Every so often, if I see something I might want, I always pray about it first before getting it.

Sometimes I also do some minor restoration or repaint to a doll. I don't have a steady hand, so I can't paint that well, but I can do minor stuff like changing eye or lip colors, or repainting faded eyebrows. The Lord has helped me find a lot of "TLC" dolls, and it's so fun to fix them up on the cheap and bring them back to their original beauty!
    HaHa the repairing repainting dolls reminded me of something funny. I have a big outdoor nativity set I've added on to over the years. Those big cheap plastic light up ones. The core set is Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. They are probably at least 25 years old. (The 2 lambs, cow, donkey, camel, 3 wise men, and shepherd are newer because these are the pieces I added on over the years.) This last Christmas, I built a manger again for my set. I've moved several times and it's so big I have to leave them then rebuild. Well after building a big manger to house my holy crew I decided Mary really needed a hair dye. Her plastic "roots" had faded terribly. And Joseph's once-red coat looked pink. Jesus needed a little sprucing up too. I learned painting plastic isn't very easy, but the Holy Family got a less-than-perfect upgrade this year. I'll see if I can attach a picture here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toots

Wow, that looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by caligal View Post
    Wow, that looks nice!
    Thanks! I'm definitely not a carpenter but Jesus must lend me some grace while building the manger; it seems to get a little better with each build. This time I added a board across the back with a nail for my star and painted John 3:16 on it. It's neat because each one of my older kids have had a turn helping mom build a manger.
    One year my second youngest (was about 6) was "helping" by holding the screws for me while assembling. I hit a knot in the wood and was having a tough time getting it in but when I finally did she quips "nailed it!" I love how she likes plays on words like me!
    Another year my oldest daughter 20 now, when she was about 5, was watching while I finished the manger. I take a break and look over to see her sitting on the ground stroking the "hair" of the plastic Mary telling her how pretty she is and that she did a good job having baby Jesus. Then she grabs the plastic Jesus and tells him thank you for being born for us! Such precious memories!
    Toots

Your nativity is so gorgeous!

Painting on plastic, or vinyl, can be tricky. I sometimes repaint doll bodies in different colors (since I also collect Monster High, and especially cats since I love kitties) and there are paints designed just for plastic. What I do is apply several coats. Sometimes I need to hand paint certain pieces like the hands (because the dolls are fully articulated).

A couple years ago, I got a "create a monster" add-on pack (part of Monster High) which contained some body parts to create your own custom doll. This one was for a puma. Well, the add-on packs don't contain enough pieces to make the entire doll, and I had to blend paints & then repaint a few other pieces to make him complete.
    Painted pieces drying in front of the fan:

Assembled and ready to display!
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Your nativity is so gorgeous!

Painting on plastic, or vinyl, can be tricky. I sometimes repaint doll bodies in different colors (since I also collect Monster High, and especially cats since I love kitties) and there are paints designed just for plastic. What I do is apply several coats. Sometimes I need to hand paint certain pieces like the hands (because the dolls are fully articulated).

A couple years ago, I got a "create a monster" add-on pack (part of Monster High) which contained some body parts to create your own custom doll. This one was for a puma. Well, the add-on packs don't contain enough pieces to make the entire doll, and I had to blend paints & then repaint a few other pieces to make him complete.
    Painted pieces drying in front of the fan:

Assembled and ready to display!
    Near! I don't have that much patience the only reason the Holy family got a paint job is I felt like they looked neglected and unloved. And I'm completely not PC so it bugged me Josephs coat faded to look pink. After I was done I joked around w my older kids - wouldn't it be a hoot if I meet Jesus and this manly of all men was wearing pink? Ha! I know he'll be wearing white but it made me laugh how silly it is that pink coat bothered me - human standard not God
    Toots

I think we'll all have a few laughs with some of the disciples, and maybe even Joseph & Mary. Heaven is going to be so spectacular, I'm ready to go now!

And thank you for the compliments! Here's another doll whose body got repainted. She's a OOAK (sorta). I named her Gloria. She was a Clawdeen clone someone bought for me in Australia. I rebodied her, and repainted her new body to match. Isn't she cute?
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Very cool that you repaint and restore the dolls. From the pictures you posted, great job! Doing that requires a lot of talent. You are an artist!!!

I thought I'd come over here and post this morning. Because I finally went and did it... Bought a "re-born" doll of my very own. I mentioned over in your prayer thread that for years now (ever since I discovered them), I have been so taken with the re-born dolls. They have some pretty scary looking ones... ones that look like they should be the star of some horror movie... !!!

But, the ones that are done well... so precious! They are like works of art. People can buy kits and then the paint, hair, eyes, everything... and they make the dolls themselves. Now, if I tried to do that, my doll would end looking like one of the ones meant for the horror movies . So right away, that's out!

The ones that look nice, they are very expensive. I've wanted one so bad for so long now though. I've had my eye on this one in particular, think she is just beautiful! Last night, I bought her.

I can't wait to get this doll in the mail. She is so so beautiful! And yes, I am going to pretend like I'm 3 when I get her. I'm going to hold her and rock her and pretend to give her bottles and change her diapers. As if I don't do enough of that at work.

This will be better though. Because she will always be asleep. She will never cry or keep me awake all night long (if she does, I'll be freaked out and will definitely have to send her back to the fake stork that makes fake babies).

I was reading online last night about the dolls before I went ahead and bought it, was just looking for info on what to look for in a quality doll and things like that. Turns out there are people who actually carry these dolls around with them everywhere. Like in baby slings and strollers and things and take them wherever they go. For me, that is a little TOO WEIRD. So... I WON'T be doing that! I plan to keep her in my room instead.

Here is the one I bought. Let me know what you think. I'm pretty excited to get her!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4653253...FQVZhgodKTgBDg (Have to scroll down a little. She is the baby in the purple.)

Does't she look so real? And so sweet?

My husband is going to make SO MUCH FUN OF ME when he finds out. I don't care though. Ha, ha!

She is a beauty, congrats!

So many reborn dolls are so realistic. I've never been into baby dolls that much, but I can appreciate the time and effort involved.

I have been fortunate that God has shown me He approves of my doll hobby by helping me to meet other Christians who do the same. It also gives me a chance to fellowship and pray with them.
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

I make reborn babies~~I have been doing this art form for 10 years and I adore it
    Below is a favorite of mine
    I would love to have BJD in my collection at some point too!

Hair is rooted in with a needle a couple of hairs at a time...very hard on my thumb now so I mostly paint hair on

I also collect Himstedt dolls I have narrowed it down to 4 from my original 12 though
    Last edited by Amazin Grace; October 20th, 2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Trouble adding photos :P

Quote Originally Posted by Amazin Grace View Post
    I make reborn babies~~I have been doing this art form for 10 years and I adore it
    Below is a favorite of mine
    I would love to have BJD in my collection at some point too!

Hair is rooted in with a needle a couple of hairs at a time...very hard on my thumb now so I mostly paint hair on

I also collect Himstedt dolls I have narrowed it down to 4 from my original 12 though

Awwww! They are so precious, all of them!

Did you paint/root all of them yourself? The baby in your picture, just an excellent job rooting! I can't imagine how difficult and tedious that process must be. I prefer my babies rooted though as to painted hair.

Do you do them and sell to others or do you just make them for yourself?

I wish I had the talent to do it. I have my very own collection now though. Love them! It's kind of like being a kid again. They are so much fun to cuddle, dress, do their hair. I recently got a silicone one, which will most likely be the ONLY full body silicone one I will ever get as they are so expensive.

I was paying on that doll for MONTHS! Got to say though, she is amazing!

Edit: Wish I knew how to post pictures here. I'd show you some of mine.

Hi Tiffany~I did paint them and root them although I find myself painting hair now more than rooting. My thumb has paid a big price after years of stabbing thousands of hairs into the doll's heads,lol

I do sell them but keep a doll here and there for myself

I would love a FBS from one of the big name sculptors~have you seen Linda Moore's silicones? Oh my goodness...stunning!

What silicone did you get??

Quote Originally Posted by Amazin Grace View Post
    Hi Tiffany~I did paint them and root them although I find myself painting hair now more than rooting. My thumb has paid a big price after years of stabbing thousands of hairs into the doll's heads,lol

I do sell them but keep a doll here and there for myself

I would love a FBS from one of the big name sculptors~have you seen Linda Moore's silicones? Oh my goodness...stunning!

What silicone did you get??
    I'll bet that rooting is difficult on both hands, fingers, and wrists too! I have so much admiration for the artists. Can't imagine how they (you) must to it, to paint layer upon layer like you do and get the babies to look so real. I know some find it creepy (my daughter does lol) but I truly think it's amazing and an art form that requires so much talent.

If you are really involved into the dolly world, you might not like my silicone. She is Yala by Babyclon, so not a big name sculptor. Not a chance of me ever affording an LLE baby or a Romie baby (I do have an older partial Claire Taylor). I wish so bad though! I fell in love with Yala when I saw her listed, and the big thing... I could actually afford the price the seller was asking for her (it wasn't from Babyclon direct and I didn't find out until later about all the controversy surrounding them). Tell you what though, I absolutely love her! She is so squishy and cuddly, feels so real.

I don't think I've heard of Linda Moore but I'll look her up!

God Bless! Have a great day!