Thread: EMP Burst

Default EMP Burst

So, I've heard stories/examples about an EMP burst over the United States. Nothing saying it's going to happen - just that it could. Some questions:

1. If we were to have one of those, how would the anti-christ track us during the tribulation (wouldn't that take technology)?

2. Would it erase all the computers? If so,

3. Is there any way to protect against a computer being erased from one - or would we even care at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Live! View Post
    3. Is there any way to protect against a computer being erased from one - or would we even care at that point?
    Faraday cage, but you might have bigger concerns as per the 2nd part of the question.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Faraday cage, but you might have bigger concerns as per the 2nd part of the question.
    Yeah, I'm thinking we'll probably be gone soon -or before that happens. That's what question #1 was about.

1. If we were to have one of those, how would the anti-christ track us during the tribulation (wouldn't that take technology)?
    Or, would it set the whole time-table back and the end-times would be a decade or more away (until they could rebuild the technology)?
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Or, would it set the whole time-table back and the end-times would be a decade or more away (until they could rebuild the technology)?
    What dependence does God's prophetic end-times have upon worldly technology? How arrogantly we surmise that God is somehow dependent upon man's twenty-first century inventions.

I think two things would likely result:
    1.) So many prophecy "experts" would have to admit they truly know very little about end-times prophetic fulfillment. Surely it would be the end of their Newspaper Exegesis.
    2.) A great many people would be dislodged from feelings of personal security and be more open to the Gospel than has been since World War II.

Given those possibilities, I say, bring it on!

Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by G Moorish View Post
    What dependence does God's prophetic end-times have upon worldly technology? How arrogantly we surmise that God is somehow dependent upon man's twenty-first century inventions.

1.) So many prophecy "experts" would have to admit they truly know very little about end-times prophetic fulfillment. Surely it would be the end of their Newspaper Exegesis.
    2.) A great many people would be dislodged from feelings of personal security and be more open to the Gospel than has been since World War II.

Marvin

Whoa there. Guess I should have been a little more specific. The questions wer just for fun. I realize my creator can do anything. But also, we were speculating about how the anti-Christ would do things, not God.

I don't believe there is any way for a government to control buying/selling without everything being done electronically (just look at the drug trade).

That being said, an EMP over the US would only cripple the US, not the world. That COULD be a deciding factor in bringing the world to a One World Government though.

Actually, the whole world's economies are so entwined surely all industrial countries would suffer heavily were the USA to suffer an EMP attack. The entire North American Continent, Western Europe and Japan would collapse It wouldn't only be the USA which would be crippled. The idea portends bad things for many countries.

But should it happen, the entire world would change instantly. From an eschatological perspective it would be reasonable since the USA does is not identified as a factor in End Times Biblical Prophecy. The devastating economic collapse that would ensue might logically set in motion the emergence of the Beast's kingdom. I don't play pin-the-tail on the Antichrist. But neither do I think end times events described in the Bible necessarily have to happen according to popular interpretations - not even close. Who living in Jerusalem in the first decades of the first century accurately predicted the coming of Christ? Some few expected it, but nobody truly understood God's plan in advance.

That is how Biblical prophecy is fulfilled. God's word will surely be fulfilled, and we shall be awestruck! But God is not obliged to fulfill His prophecy according to the elucidations of modern prophecy experts.

Marvin

Actually, the whole world's economies are so entwined surely all industrial countries would suffer heavily were the USA to suffer an EMP attack. The entire North American Continent, Western Europe and Japan would collapse It wouldn't only be the USA which would be crippled. The idea portends bad things for many countries.

But should it happen, the entire world would change instantly. From an eschatological perspective it would be reasonable since the USA does is not identified as a factor in End Times Biblical Prophecy. The devastating economic collapse that would ensue might logically set in motion the emergence of the Beast's kingdom. I don't play pin-the-tail on the Antichrist. But neither do I think end times events described in the Bible necessarily have to happen according to popular interpretations - not even close. Who living in Jerusalem in the first decades of the first century accurately predicted the coming of Christ? Some few expected it, but nobody truly understood God's plan in advance.

That is how Biblical prophecy is fulfilled. God's word will surely be fulfilled, and we shall be awestruck! But God is not obliged to fulfill His prophecy according to the elucidations of modern prophecy experts.

Marvin
    I was referring to the technological backbone, not the economy itself. The USA would be sent back to the dark ages and the world economy would be in shambles, but the rest of the world's technology would still be operating.

I have a question. Could 1EMP take out the entire US grid?

Quote Originally Posted by caligal View Post
    From what I've read, yes. Also, from what I've read, it would take years to get it back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by caligal View Post
    Some things have been "hardened" for protection against EMP. Despite the prevailing views, it would be hard to know the extent of the damage until the even occurred.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Marvin
    I guess I was assuming too much that I didn't explain. You are correct in that God will do what he has planned, regardless of our expectations.

The reason I said things might be set back was that many descriptions in the book of Revelation in the Bible seem to be in line with our modern technology. For example, the death of the two witnesses being seen by the whole world (Revelation 11:9). Some think that will be possible via TV or the Internet.

But you are correct, our feeble attempts at understanding prophecy are many times way off.

I agree that it would shake people and may bring more to salvation, and that would be a good thing. But there would also be lots of death and suffering, and I cannot wish for that.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

So, I've heard stories/examples about an EMP burst over the United States. Nothing saying it's going to happen - just that it could. Some questions:
    Yes, it could. Best illustrative novel I have read is "One Second After."
    It is somewhat of an exaggeration, but it illustrates the aftermath with gut wrenching clarity.
    Had me in tears in every chapter starting with Ch. 4 (IIRC)
    (Warning - bad language in some places, and some violence)

I don't know. Really.
    Worst case scenario? He uses an EMP to destroy our electronics, and the swoops in for the "rescue" with his own...

2. Would it erase all the computers? If so,
    The effect is usually exaggerated. Damage to electronics would be, mostly, in an area under
    or, just North of the area under, the detonation, depending on size and altitude of the detonation.

As you go further from that point, more stuff survives.

But the electric grid would have failures cascading outwards for hundreds or even thousands of miles.

Do a search for:
    Faraday Galvanized Trash Can Foil Tape

There are a few good you tube videos that will get you started.
    (Beware, there is some junk science out there too.)

Anyone who wishes to, has permission to PM me if they have questions.
    I try to keep things practical. No need to get obsessed with this stuff.

I have what I call "Rule 5" when I get too obsessed:
    You can do everything "right" and still loose.
    Do what you can, but leave the results to God.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    Yes, it could. Best illustrative novel I have read is "One Second After."
    I "second" your recommendation of this book. It's an informative book in novel form, and it really opens you eyes on how fragile our society is. Newt Gingrich testified before Congress on the dangers of an EMP attack, and he called it the next electronic Perl Harbor. That was almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't hardened our power grids or critical systems. If I was an enemy of the US and wanted to destroy her, this is the weapon of choice. Knowing "there's a gun behind every blade of grass" in this nation, why put your own troops at risk. Instead, let the dark, lawless nature of its citizens do the work for you. We truly do live in perilous times.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    I have what I call "Rule 5" when I get too obsessed: You can do everything "right" and still loose. Do what you can, but leave the results to God.
    Wow! TRex2, I couldn't have said it better.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Ever seen a Walking Dead poster?

Imagine millions walking around aimlessly staring at a black sceen on their I/cell phone, or hopelessly trapped in a moving vehicle with no GPS,
    or trying to swipe their chip card for the 300th time....

or turning on the TV to 'snow' thinking its a new series on Netflix......

Imagine all the people, having no idea what is going on, and then turning to neighbors who could help them and finding them .......... gone......

another plot line for Gravity?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

For anyone wanting to know more about EMP, this is the thread
    to look at. A lot of it is already covered. I have been doing more
    study, simply because I keep getting asked (not always fun to be
    the "go to guy" ... oh, wait, yeah, I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Ever seen a Walking Dead poster?

Imagine millions walking around aimlessly staring at a black sceen on their I/cell phone, ...
    An interesting take on the first few minutes after.
    If you ever get the chance to see the first 8 or so episodes
    of season 1 of "Jerico" there are a few good lessons there.
    And about 5 - 10 minutes into the first episode, you see
    exactly that: a lot of people looking at their cell phones.