Thread: Books By Mark Goodwin

Default Books By Mark Goodwin

I doubt they are theologically accurate, but maybe food for thought?
    (Junk food for thought? )

I just got "Behold Darkness and Sorrow" from the Seven Cows series.

There was an abbreviated discussion of "The Days of Noah"
    by the same author, on the "prep for WW3" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Behold-Darkne.../dp/1523735317

The theology, so far, is Charismatic, which I am not, but provides the motivational engine for the story line. The plot is apparently pushed along by a series of prophetic dreams that are interpreted by a pastor who believes in prophetic dreams, and knows the world situation. (But the book does say that the churches that go off the deep end with a lot of chaos in their congregations are not what the Holy Spirit is about, so it seems to be balanced.)

So far, the advice in the book is good advice for any and all of us, no matter what disasters we are, or will be, facing. At this point, the main characters have become aware that there is some sort of impending disaster looming, but don't yet know what that disaster will be. They are currently stocking up on every staple good they can lay their hands on, and the book goes into a bit of detail about how to do that rationally.

The book seems to be a fairly easy read and I know, from looking ahead, that the EMP that is in their future is somewhere in the middle to late area of this volume. I doubt that I will read any further in the series, mainly because I don't usually value what people think the second year of a collapse will look like. Most people won't make it through six months, so that is what I specialize in.

Default Bood Advice

To be honest, it's hard to know how or what to ask....bookwise.
    I have a cousin, with whom I write weekly, and we talk on the phone almost every week. She is several hundred miles from me, so we don't visit in person. She occasionally mentions doing some yoga in her day. I tried to tell her this isn't good, as it leads to any spirit. She then changes the topic or quits the phone call. Age is late 60's, college graduate, musically trained in voice. MY question is this. Does anyone have a great book that could help, isn't to deep, or to long? She is a frequent book reader, but if she doesn't like the book, she won't finish it. I would like to send her a book, I have in the past. If she discusses the book with me, I know she read it...if she doesn't, I pretty much know she passed on even finishing the book. So short, and to the point is best. I pray for her daily. Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    To be honest, it's hard to know how or what to ask....bookwise.
    I have a cousin, with whom I write weekly, and we talk on the phone almost every week. She is several hundred miles from me, so we don't visit in person. She occasionally mentions doing some yoga in her day. I tried to tell her this isn't good, as it leads to any spirit. She then changes the topic or quits the phone call. Age is late 60's, college graduate, musically trained in voice. MY question is this. Does anyone have a great book that could help, isn't to deep, or to long? She is a frequent book reader, but if she doesn't like the book, she won't finish it. I would like to send her a book, I have in the past. If she discusses the book with me, I know she read it...if she doesn't, I pretty much know she passed on even finishing the book. So short, and to the point is best. I pray for her daily. Thanks for listening.

Juniper, here's a link to check out: YOGA - Exercise or Religion and Does it Matter?
    http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=18200

At the bottom of the page there's another link to click on if you want to order the mini books for $1.95

https://www.amazon.com/Behold-Darkne.../dp/1523735317

The theology, so far, is Charismatic, which I am not, but provides the motivational engine for the story line. The plot is apparently pushed along by a series of prophetic dreams that are interpreted by a pastor who believes in prophetic dreams, and knows the world situation. (But the book does say that the churches that go off the deep end with a lot of chaos in their congregations are not what the Holy Spirit is about, so it seems to be balanced.) ....
    Well, I am probably one of the slowest readers anyone here has ever met, but I am just past halfway through the book.

Other than the Charismatic angle on theology (which I find pretty annoying), everything else in the book seems fairly straightforward. It is based on a young couple, a friend of theirs and their families, so the gushy love story part is also a bit tiring, but entirely realistic, since that is how college aged people in love act. The main characters are trying to live holy lives, although they are tempted at every turn to take short cuts, and a couple of times they seem to (but I don't know the outcome).

I find the economics of their situation just a bit unrealistic (they are part time waiters at a nice diner, but have money left over at the end of the month) , but no more unrealistic than the book "The Patriots."

So far, the main character has had two dreams, one interpreted by a pastor (who runs a "store front" Church), and one partially by his fiance and partially by that same pastor.

Well, I am probably one of the slowest readers anyone here has ever met, but I am just past halfway through the book.

Still chewing away at this book. Almost done.
    One of the things I like about this story is that it hits home that,
    no matter what the circumstances, we need to praise and thank God.

( 1 Thessalonians 5:18 )

Still chewing away at this book. Almost done.
    One of the things I like about this story is that it hits home that,
    no matter what the circumstances, we need to praise and thank God.

( 1 Thessalonians 5:18 )
    More notes on "Seven Cows Ugly and Gaunt, Book 1, Behold Darkness and Sorrow"

I should note, right up front, I have some (mostly temporary) physical limitations that caused me to take a lot longer to read this book than most anyone else. I found the book extremely readable, and quite enjoyable.

Finished the book. Highly recommend this book, despite what I said about Charismatic theology. (Each of us has to decided how to deal with that issue, for themselves.)

To me, this makes a great companion to "One Second After."
    Both are dealing with how things will break down after an EMP.

I do have to warn about "One Second After" it was not written by someone who relies daily on God, and it has a couple of instances of language that you shouldn't hear in your home. Also, it doesn't pull any punches about how bad things will get, post EMP.

I don't plan to read the sequels to either book. I see minor errors in both books about how things will happen, even in the first months after, so there isn't much point in trying to look further than that. That said, they both get the majority of things right (like 95%) about how it would go down, and even though I am somewhat of an expert, I learned a few things. It also raised a few issues I have trouble dealing with, and showed one possible way to deal with those.

I'm reading 2 of Goodwin's books right now.

I like them!

I will have to look into these as I'm always looking for good ones to read...
    This world is not my home. I'm just passing through. If heaven's not my home, O Lord, what would I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."
    Complete justice for us will come only "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels" (v. 7).

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanybw View Post
    I'm reading 2 of Goodwin's books right now.
    I like them!
    I know you read one of his recently recently, (1st in a series of three, if I recall correctly) that I haven't read and I am wondering what you thought of it. I heard advertisements for it a couple years ago, on Radio Free Redoubt, and it seemed a bit to "tinfoil hat" (revolved around conspiracy theories) for me.