Thread: Jesus Christ's tomb opened for first time in 500 years - huh?

Default Jesus Christ's tomb opened for first time in 500 years - huh?

For decades debate has raged over whether the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem really is the site of the most famous miracle of all.
    The shrine is supposed to contain the tomb where Jesus Christ s body lay for three days after his crucifixion.
    The tomb has been sealed in marble since at least 1555 and possibly centuries longer to protect it from pilgrims who kept stealing pieces as holy relics.
    But over the preceding centuries the church had been destroyed and rebuilt so many times there were doubts about what it contained.
    Now the tombs marble lid has been removed for the first time in five centuries revealing a miraculous discovery.
    There, unseen for half a millennium, was the limestone shelf where Christs body is thought to have been placed.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...ice=responsive

This is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, identified as the burial spot by Constantine's mother in the 4th Century.

As in Constantine of the Roman Catholic Church?

I don't understand the importance of this discovery. First, of it's something Constantine declared/approved then I'm already hesitant on just going with it. This is the man who took Christianity and slammed it with pagan rituals.

Second, while His body may have laid to rest there, the first miracle was His blood atonement for my sins. The second is in His resurrection.

I have seen pictures of people visiting a garden tomb that has a sign "He has Risen". So, who is right?

I don't always trust the Catholic church.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

The tomb with the sign "He is Risen" is called, Gordon's Tomb; not because General Gordon was buried there, but because he is credited with its discovery. The site is located adjacent to Golgatha (Skull Hill) and makes sense given the testimony of Matthew 27:33. While we don't know for sure, I am persuaded the Garden Tomb is most likely the correct site.

In the early fourth century, Constantine's mother, Helena is said to have discovered the site now called, the Holy Sepulcher upon which the Church in question was built. Helena is said to also found other sites and important relics (including the true cross). So fantastic and filled with superstition is the story of her adventure at Jerusalem, it presses credibility. If it had been anyone other than Constantine's mother, I think few would believe her account today. The evidence is very shaky. Real archaeologists are quite fortunate to discover only one ancient site.

Marvin

I've read one or two articles about this tomb being opened. Most of them quote one of the archeologists as saying without any remains inside, it's hard to confirm exactly who the tomb belonged to.
    Erm, which part of the resurrection don't they understand
    For Thou art my hope, Oh Lord God Psalm 71:5
    Being confident of this very thing, that He who hath begun a good work in you, will perform it to the day of the Lord Philippians 1:6

MY TABLET CANNOT TYPE OR SPELL

I read recently that Gordon's Tomb is dated to the First Temple period,
    but that it was used in more recent times (but not during Herod's Temple).
    So, where is the true site?

All we need to be concerned about is that it was opened once 2,000 years ago by a miracle of God.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedeemed View Post
    All we need to be concerned about is that it was opened once 2,000 years ago by a miracle of God.
    Thank you! That is about what I was gonna say.