Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Ouija Boards at Toys R Us?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24

    Tsk tsk Ouija Boards at Toys R Us?!

    I was just goofing around on youtube and I heard that they sell Ouija Boards at Toys R Us now? What?
    I'm 22 and even I know not to mess around with that stuff.

    I know we're in the end times and all, but come on Toys R Us....

    Does another company have to be added to the black list?

    Here is a google link if ya'll want to see for yourselves:
    http://https://www.google.com/search...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Romans 3:23-24 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The beautiful state of Idaho
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Our local pharmacy sells ouji boards...they're on the same shelf as Candyland and Monopoly. It's just so evil and it makes me sad that kids can buy those things.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koalie View Post
    Our local pharmacy sells ouji boards...they're on the same shelf as Candyland and Monopoly. It's just so evil and it makes me sad that kids can buy those things.
    Jeez. People need to wake up.


    Fun Fact: Monopoly was made by a socialist to show the "evils of capitalism". The guy may have been a commie, but Monopoly sure is a fun game
    Romans 3:23-24 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    St Louis metro
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM Dodd View Post
    Jeez. People need to wake up.


    Fun Fact: Monopoly was made by a socialist to show the "evils of capitalism". The guy may have been a commie, but Monopoly sure is a fun game
    After selling the Monopoly game concept and getting paid for the idea or royalties or whatever, I wonder if the inventor suddenly thought capitalism isn't so bad if they didn't have to hand over profits for wealth redistribution! Kind of like the irony in Mormans against caffeine until they bought Pepsi then caffeine isn't so bad for us after all!
    Toots

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM Dodd
    Fun Fact: Monopoly was made by a socialist to show the "evils of capitalism".
    That is actually false. The game was first created around 1900 to demonstrate the trouble with, "Richardo's Law of Economic Rents" which was a Capitalist operational theory, not Marxist propaganda. Charles Darrow is credited with designing the Monopoly game circa 1933. But Darrow's version was in fact an adaptation of, "The Landlord's Game" patented by Elisabeth Magie in 1902. Magie was a follower of the American economist Henry George who published economic theories in the late 19th century. George was more liberally minded than most of his contemporaries, but he was no socialist.

    When Parker Brothers bought Charles Darrow's Monopoly game in 1934, they also bought Mrs. Magie's earlier patent to protect themselves. The first issue of Monopoly under Parker Brothers publication still had Charles Darrow's name along the edge of one corner.

    Marvin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg,Virginia
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    When I was a kid we bought one (or maybe 3 or 4) at Kay Bee Toys so I guess it's always been considered a toy to some.
    And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:8

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G Moorish View Post
    That is actually false. The game was first created around 1900 to demonstrate the trouble with, "Richardo's Law of Economic Rents" which was a Capitalist operational theory, not Marxist propaganda. Charles Darrow is credited with designing the Monopoly game circa 1933. But Darrow's version was in fact an adaptation of, "The Landlord's Game" patented by Elisabeth Magie in 1902. Magie was a follower of the American economist Henry George who published economic theories in the late 19th century. George was more liberally minded than most of his contemporaries, but he was no socialist.

    When Parker Brothers bought Charles Darrow's Monopoly game in 1934, they also bought Mrs. Magie's earlier patent to protect themselves. The first issue of Monopoly under Parker Brothers publication still had Charles Darrow's name along the edge of one corner.

    Marvin
    I looked and some sources support what you say and some do not. A quick google search can support any claim, but I keep seeing descrptions of the Land Lord's Game as a game teaching “the evils of accruing vast sums of wealth at the expense of others” . Sounds pretty fishy to me, but perhaps you've studied this more

    Yet I think it's safe to say it was not celebrating capitalism.


    PS: I love how this thread is about Monopoly now. Sorry mods
    Romans 3:23-24 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvan View Post
    When I was a kid we bought one (or maybe 3 or 4) at Kay Bee Toys so I guess it's always been considered a toy to some.
    Any bad experiences? How long ago was this?
    Romans 3:23-24 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg,Virginia
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM Dodd View Post
    Any bad experiences? How long ago was this?
    This was the 80's. I don't recall any bad experiences from it but I wish I'd never been allowed near the things. They were pretty popular at the time and even had a movie at the theater at the time called Witchboard.
    And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:8

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Can't have prayer in school cause freedom of religion.

    Feel free to sell oujia boards everywhere and have after school Satan programs.

    So ridiculous.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM Dodd
    I looked and some sources support what you say and some do not. A quick google search can support any claim, but I keep seeing descrptions of the Land Lord's Game as a game teaching “the evils of accruing vast sums of wealth at the expense of others” . Sounds pretty fishy to me, but perhaps you've studied this more

    Yet I think it's safe to say it was not celebrating capitalism.
    The internet is a wonderful place to find support for almost every position a person may be inclined to assume. People often spin facts to support their own agendas. My information came from older publications including some by the publisher who themselves were Capitalists. Although I haven't played Monopoly for years, in my early adult life I became an avid collector of pre-1942 boxed editions of the game. It was much less expensive than collecting other things. True collectors tend to learn as much as they can about their proclivity.

    Ricardo's Law of Economic Rents was published around 1810. It was the first theory of Classic Economics published in the US and became the foundation of Classic Economics as it is taught today. Keynesian Economics is a much newer development. In the late nineteenth century Henry George published theories in conflict with Classic Economics. Elizabeth Magie's "The Landlord's Game" was intended to show deficiencies in Ricardo's theory. That may have appealed to later Socialists, but advancing socialism wasn't the driving purpose of George, or Magie.

    Monopoly, as we know the game somewhat imperfectly demonstrates the soundness of Recardo's principles. I've used the game as an object lesson to teach some principles of Classic Economics to young adults. For instance, Classic Economics explains why building hotels on Mediterranean and Baltic Avenues almost always runs counter to a game winning strategy. In the same vein, for young adults bad decisions made early in life can impose difficulties later. Understanding these principles one can leverage them for success. Financial mismanagement often contributes to painful failures including the high divorce rate seen in our society today.

    Marvin

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate
    Posts
    19,746

    Default

    Ouija boards come and go as popularity cycles.

    Although there have been stories of occult use, perhaps more often it is the focus of ridicule.

    RE Calvin and Hobbes, when they ask the board if Calvin will ever be President, it responds: G-O-D-F-O-R-B-I-D......


    But then while we laugh, satan often slips more influence into his beachhead.

    Maybe its the lack of serious growing occult activity [as opposed to Stylish occult activity] that should be alarming us.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

    John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

    “Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern Pennslyvania
    Posts
    1,625

    Default seducing spirits

    Last days and many are calling on demons. Time is short .. Rapture Ready Here!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the world, but not of the world
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Satan is indeed crafty and selling a dangerous occultic tool as a toy
    My Rapture/Left Behind Message

    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    683

    Default Are Ouija Boards Toys?

    My first use of a Ouija board was when my parents purchased it for us when we were kids. It took a while before we could get it to work, but after using it for some time we became very good at it. We could get it to move right after we started using it. Over time, we became interested in how it worked and how accurate it was. We noticed that it was not very accurate predicting the future, but was spot on with current and past events.

    We decided to start conducting some tests to see what it did and didn’t know. We soon discovered that it ONLY knew what one of the players knew. So then we started purposely thinking of an incorrect answer. Yep you guessed it; the Ouija board was then incorrect with its answers. Another weird thing is that the Ouija board would get tired or bored after a while. It would stop answering questions and simply scoot off the board anytime you asked a question.

    Later in college I also used a Ouija board. A friend that was watching said that we were moving the pointer. He said there was no way that the pointer was moving by itself. So we then asked him to play and to ask a question that no one else knew the answer to. He asked the Ouija board what his mother’s maiden name was. After the pointer stopped on the last correct letter of her name, the guy ran out of the room and refused to come back!

    Does my story prove anything? No, except that a Ouija board is somehow able to answer questions. Is it possible that our subconscious was moving the pointer? Sure, but that explanation does not fit quite as well. When we were using the Ouija board as a test we could turn our heads where we could not see the board and it would still stop on the correct letters. Also, as two people are required to use it, how would our subconscious work so well together?

    Who knows for sure, but I do believe that demons were reading our minds and moving the Ouija board pointer. Do I still use Ouija boards? HECK NO !!!!!!!

    Goodboy

  16. #16

    Default

    Does Toys R Us sell Ouija boards? Yup.

    Does the gas station sell beer and cigarettes? Yup.

    Doesn't mean I'll protest either one. I get that Christians like to make a statement and we sure love us some boycotts, but I never stop being amazed at Christians who live in shock at the world simply being the world.

    This is not our home and it's a broken, deceitful place full of sin and temptation... and a bunch of people whom Jesua died for and are currently victims of our eternal enemy.

    Go be the light of this world. But don't expect the world to look anything like the kingdom of God.

  17. #17

    Default

    We had better ban any store that sells magic eight balls, playing cards, poker chips, ...well, just about anything that could be turned into something evil. Maybe ban books?

    Seriously....I had a Ouija board when I was kid 50 years ago. No biggie. We weren't trying to conjure up evil spirits. It was fun to see if we could predict who we were going to marry or if Joey was going to ask Mary to the prom. I wouldn't buy one today, but just because I had one, it didn't mean I was into the occult. I still love rock n' roll music, but I'm not going to hell because I listen to it.

    Just about everything can be used for good or evil. Parents MUST make good choices for their kids. Boycotting Toys R Us because they sell Ouija boards is as silly an idea as boycotting 7-11 because they sell cigarettes and lottery tickets. Pick your battles. Supervise your kids. Choose the toys and tv shows they interact with. Know their friends. Don't give them free reign on the internet.

    We had my daughter in Christian schools until high school and trust me, it was no guarantee that she wouldn't be exposed to things we didn't like. You have to do the best you can do and leave the rest up to God.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novelist View Post
    We had better ban any store that sells magic eight balls, playing cards, poker chips, ...well, just about anything that could be turned into something evil. Maybe ban books?
    Umm, ok.

    Seriously....I had a Ouija board when I was kid 50 years ago. No biggie. We weren't trying to conjure up evil spirits. It was fun to see if we could predict who we were going to marry or if Joey was going to ask Mary to the prom. I wouldn't buy one today, but just because I had one, it didn't mean I was into the occult. I still love rock n' roll music, but I'm not going to hell because I listen to it.
    You must be highly confused what the Bible has to say about talking to demons/spirits/fortune telling and the lot.

    Just about everything can be used for good or evil. Parents MUST make good choices for their kids.
    Parents can't make choices for their children anymore than God can force someone to accept Christ as savior.

    Boycotting Toys R Us because they sell Ouija boards is as silly an idea as boycotting 7-11 because they sell cigarettes and lottery tickets.
    Ban air as well because unsaved people breath it as well.

    I hate the extremist arguments. People can choose not to shop wherever they want to for whatever reason. Welcome to the free market.

    If others don't wanna spend their money there for this reason they are allowed to and they are allowed to drum up support.

    Pick your battles.
    I'm curious as to where your battle lines are. There are points where we the church must talk about issues. Being the salt and light isn't always rainbows and sunshine. It's like telling pastors they shouldn't preach about hell cause of feelings.

    Supervise your kids. Choose the toys and tv shows they interact with. Know their friends. Don't give them free reign on the internet.
    Agreed but I would ban ouija boards and magic 8 balls and all future telling stuff and leave that to God.

    We had my daughter in Christian schools until high school and trust me, it was no guarantee that she wouldn't be exposed to things we didn't like. You have to do the best you can do and leave the rest up to God.
    And giving them the full armor of God is a great way to start.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    Umm, ok.



    You must be highly confused what the Bible has to say about talking to demons/spirits/fortune telling and the lot.



    Parents can't make choices for their children anymore than God can force someone to accept Christ as savior.



    Ban air as well because unsaved people breath it as well.

    I hate the extremist arguments. People can choose not to shop wherever they want to for whatever reason. Welcome to the free market.

    If others don't wanna spend their money there for this reason they are allowed to and they are allowed to drum up support.



    I'm curious as to where your battle lines are. There are points where we the church must talk about issues. Being the salt and light isn't always rainbows and sunshine. It's like telling pastors they shouldn't preach about hell cause of feelings.



    Agreed but I would ban ouija boards and magic 8 balls and all future telling stuff and leave that to God.



    And giving them the full armor of God is a great way to start.
    I get where you're coming from, but have you ever played Monopoly? Dice can be linked to fortune telling. And if you have a Christmas tree, you're engaging in pagan worship as trees are not part of the Biblical narrative.

    God judges the heart. I don't agree with Ouija boards, but it's easy to let legalism outlaw everything. And also easy to let liberalism allow all things.

    The only way I've ever found to walk that tightrope is to balance the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. His Word provides the framework and the Spirit gives inspiration to that framework. Err too heavily to one side or the other and you become too stiff necked or too permissive.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoknight View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but have you ever played Monopoly? Dice can be linked to fortune telling. And if you have a Christmas tree, you're engaging in pagan worship as trees are not part of the Biblical narrative.

    God judges the heart. I don't agree with Ouija boards, but it's easy to let legalism outlaw everything. And also easy to let liberalism allow all things.

    The only way I've ever found to walk that tightrope is to balance the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. His Word provides the framework and the Spirit gives inspiration to that framework. Err too heavily to one side or the other and you become too stiff necked or too permissive.
    I get what you are saying. There's some merit to it.

    However as an example when we have the Bible showing us God has a huge distaste for the "Queen of Heaven" then the RCC should take pause to what they do.

    Monopoly has some looseness to it.

    Fortune telling/Spirit talking is flat out condemned.

    I would leave monopoly to the individual and prayer.
    Ra
    And I would never support ouija.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •