Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obamas Executive order for Invasive Species

Default Obamas Executive order for Invasive Species

I guess "Independence Day" is really coming here folks.

From White House site.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...vasive-species

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to prevent the introduction, establishment, and spread of invasive species, as well as to eradicate and control populations of invasive species that are established. Invasive species pose threats to prosperity, security, and quality of life. They have negative impacts on the environment and natural resources, agriculture and food production systems, water resources, human, animal, and plant health, infrastructure, the economy, energy, cultural resources, and military readiness. Every year, invasive species cost the United States billions of dollars in economic losses and other damages.
    (b) 'Eradication' means the removal or destruction of an entire population of invasive species.

Like seriously. I've looked this over. It really doesn't mean illegal aliens like we know the term.

I hope it doesn't mean Christians..............we can be kind of invasive, you know. When we state biblical truth and no one wants to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathymendel View Post
    I hope it doesn't mean Christians..............we can be kind of invasive, you know. When we state biblical truth and no one wants to hear it.
    (e) 'Invasive species' means, with regard to a particular ecosystem, a non-native organism whose introduction causes or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm, or harm to human, animal, or plant health.

(f) 'Non-native species' or 'alien species' means, with respect to a particular ecosystem, an organism, including its seeds, eggs, spores, or other biological material capable of propagating that species, that occurs outside of its natural range.
    Seriously I could see that interpretation.

I'm not really seeing "aliens" in this.

It seems to just be referring to 'Non-native species' which are a real problem in a lot of areas. Take for example Cane Toads running rampant and destroying other species in Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

That said, it seems like there are already a lot of laws to prevent non-native species from being introduced. Not sure why a new one was needed.

We have an invasive plant species that is drastically changing the ground cover here in interior Alaska: Bird Vetch. It is A plant that has little purple flowers that lead some folks to plant them. The plant quickly spreads and chokes out the native ground cover. I've been battling it with expensive plant killer as pulling it out of the ground doesn't seem to slow it down. It seems to develop a root system that makes it virtually indestructible unless you can kill that root system.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Jannette View Post
    I'm not really seeing "aliens" in this.

It seems to just be referring to 'Non-native species' which are a real problem in a lot of areas. Take for example Cane Toads running rampant and destroying other species in Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

That said, it seems like there are already a lot of laws to prevent non-native species from being introduced. Not sure why a new one was needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    We have an invasive plant species that is drastically changing the ground cover here in interior Alaska: Bird Vetch. It is A plant that has little purple flowers that lead some folks to plant them. The plant quickly spreads and chokes out the native ground cover. I've been battling it with expensive plant killer as pulling it out of the ground doesn't seem to slow it down. It seems to develop a root system that makes it virtually indestructible unless you can kill that root system.
    Thanks guys! The wording is just so odd ball it puzzled me.

So...I'm a little slow. Does this have to do with plants/animals? Why would it be about Christians? (don't laugh. I'm old!)
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    So...I'm a little slow. Does this have to do with plants/animals? Why would it be about Christians? (don't laugh. I'm old!)
    The thread title doesn't really apply to the information in the OP... I'll change the title.

Because the original title to the OP was something about UFO or aliens or something.
    I was making a half-joking comment about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathymendel View Post
    Because the original title to the OP was something about UFO or aliens or something.
    I was making a half-joking comment about it.
    Aliens.

And that was cause I had no idea what an invasive species could have meant.

Wow that's interesting, I would love to visit Alaska someday (not to see this plant), but to see the beautiful country. That plant is similar to the Kudzu that is taking over many parts of the south.
    2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God, and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness.

Our area had Canadian gray wolves brought in and they've multiplied like crazy. (Imagine that.) The herds of elk are suffering along with moose. Lots of ranchers have lost cattle and other livestock to wolves as well. My grandpa has lost 4 cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalie View Post
    Our area had Canadian gray wolves brought in and they've multiplied like crazy. (Imagine that.) The herds of elk are suffering along with moose. Lots of ranchers have lost cattle and other livestock to wolves as well. My grandpa has lost 4 cows.
    In Alaska we're doing the opposite. We're allowing more wolf culling/trapping/shooting to help the hunted species thrive more so there will be more for hunters.

In Alaska we're doing the opposite. We're allowing more wolf culling/trapping/shooting to help the hunted species thrive more so there will be more for hunters.
    You can get a wolf hunting tag in Idaho as well. I don't blame the wolf as they're only doing what they were created to do: kill, but it makes me sad when I see pictures of the damage they do to elk and moose.

We were camping opening weekend of archery season this year and each morning we'd be sitting around the campfire cooking breakfast and thawing out from a cold night, and we had wolves howling all around us. I took a couple walks alone while Eric was hunting but quickly turned around when I saw 100s of wolf prints on the trail that were bigger than my hand.

Default Coyotes

Anybody want some "alien" TN. coyotes? I have a white deer (with a huge white rack), living in the fields behind my house, and I am afraid he will be attacked.

Seriously, I am leery of ALL executive orders. Just like they like to cherry-pick the constitution, "interpretation" is subject to whatever result that is desired by the "gub-meant".

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    Aliens.
    And that was cause I had no idea what an invasive species could have meant.
    Many of us, in many parts of the country, have to deal with invasive species.
    Even people in the lawn care business around my area have to deal with them.

Many are introduced by people who have no idea what they are doing.

You can get a wolf hunting tag in Idaho as well. I don't blame the wolf as they're only doing what they were created to do: kill, but it makes me sad when I see pictures of the damage they do to elk and moose.
    See my remark in the previous paragraph about the people
    who introduced this creature to our Northwest.

There was a good reason men removed them (and their cousins) years ago.

We were camping opening weekend of archery season this year and each morning we'd be sitting around the campfire cooking breakfast and thawing out from a cold night, and we had wolves howling all around us. I took a couple walks alone while Eric was hunting but quickly turned around when I saw 100s of wolf prints on the trail that were bigger than my hand.
    You need to be packing some serious heat when you are around their territory.

Too bad we can't label liberals from the EPA as an invasive species.

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
    Anybody want some "alien" TN. coyotes? I have a white deer (with a huge white rack), living in the fields behind my house, and I am afraid he will be attacked.

Seriously, I am leery of ALL executive orders. Just like they like to cherry-pick the constitution, "interpretation" is subject to whatever result that is desired by the "gub-meant".

I do remember in Nevada when coyotes fit this description. You were allowed to hunt them and turn in the pair of ears for a slight profit.

But it sounds like orders where already in place before obamas new one. And I agree with it depends on WHO interprets it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    Many are introduced by people who have no idea what they are doing.

There was a good reason men removed them (and their cousins) years ago.

Too bad we can't label liberals from the EPA as an invasive species.
    Yes, I agree that the ones who make these decisions often times only 'think' they know what they're doing. The decisions are often made by people living in cities and nowhere near the area.

You need to be packing some serious heat when you are around their territory.
    Always do! I don't leave home without it! I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling. My husband has always taught me to be more leery of the two-legged predators than the ones with 4 legs.
    Several times while I'm out I've had guys stop me to talk. They don't seem as interested when they see my pink camo gun on my hip.
    I'm not about to let myself become another abduction statistic.

Always do! I don't leave home without it! I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling. My husband has always taught me to be more leery of the two-legged predators than the ones with 4 legs.
    Several times while I'm out I've had guys stop me to talk. They don't seem as interested when they see my pink camo gun on my hip.
    I'm not about to let myself become another abduction statistic.
    If you live in the North Half of the State, some of the guys might think you are better looking with the gun on your hip. I always thought it makes a woman look better But that kind of guy isn't a threat.

My personal favorite round is the PDX1, followed closely by the XTP round, but I'll have to look up the physiology of wolves. You might need a different kind of bullet for them. (But I won't be looking at silver bullets )

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    If you live in the North Half of the State, some of the guys might think you are better looking with the gun on your hip. I always thought it makes a woman look better But that kind of guy isn't a threat.

My personal favorite round is the PDX1, followed closely by the XTP round, but I'll have to look up the physiology of wolves. You might need a different kind of bullet for them. (But I won't be looking at silver bullets )
    Ha! My husband always says he loves me in camo! And I do believe he looks at me a little more fondly when we go out shooting and my groupings are within an inch of each other.

I honestly don't know much about bullets...ya lost me there. I just grab a box of ammo for whatever gun I'm using. My husband on the other hand would know what you're talking about.
    My playground is the Selway-bitterroot and Nez Perce national forests. We're within 20 min of both. Google Image those areas...they're beautiful! If I go out with Eric I just pack my .380 on hip and 9mm in camelbak. But if I'm going out alone I'll take a 40 too.