Thread: The Gospel Project

Default The Gospel Project

Has anyone here done any studies on The Gospel Project? I will be starting next Sunday co teaching a women's class at church that is using this material. I have just started reading over the leaders guide & to be honest not sure how I really feel about some of the things I have read. One of the things that I just read goes against some things that I have been taught & believe. This is the one major item that I have an issue with, it tells us to close by saying. " That we should remember that God does not need us and yet we should desire to give back to Him. Only by resting in God, however, can we avoid paralysis and find freedom in serving God." Please tell me if I am making too much of this, or am I missing something. Given that we are told to go out and preach the gospel in the New Testament how can God not need us to spread His message? Thank You.
    Neither will their silver nor their gold will be able to save them on the day of the Lord's wrath. In the fire of His jealousy the whole world will be consumed, for He will make a sudden end of all who live in the earth. Zephaniah 1:18

Would need to know more about the project before deciding.

Personally yes I do agree with the thought process of God doesn't need us. We are commanded to go and make disciples of the world but God will always be God. Creator of everything. If He were to take this universe out He would still exist regardless of our non existence

Obeying out of love and discipline doesn't mean He needs us.
    Romans 5:8-9 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from Godís wrath through him!

Could it also have to do with the fact that God doesn't need anything? He is self-sufficient. He did not have to create the earth and everything on it. He doesn't need any of it. Sure, He delights in His creation, but He doesn't need it to be complete.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing4 View Post
    Could it also have to do with the fact that God doesn't need anything? He is self-sufficient. He did not have to create the earth and everything on it. He doesn't need any of it. Sure, He delights in His creation, but He doesn't need it to be complete.
    As Jesus said "It is finished".

He completed everything He did it out of love. We spread the Gospel out of love.
    Romans 5:8-9 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from Godís wrath through him!

Don't remember where I read it but if memory serves me right, the Gospel Project pushes Calvinism. Is it published by LifeWay? Check for references to Piper, Chandler, MacDonald, etc.

Bible

Quote Originally Posted by watching4Him View Post
    Has anyone here done any studies on The Gospel Project? I will be starting next Sunday co teaching a women's class at church that is using this material. I have just started reading over the leaders guide & to be honest not sure how I really feel about some of the things I have read. One of the things that I just read goes against some things that I have been taught & believe. This is the one major item that I have an issue with, it tells us to close by saying. " That we should remember that God does not need us and yet we should desire to give back to Him. Only by resting in God, however, can we avoid paralysis and find freedom in serving God." Please tell me if I am making too much of this, or am I missing something. Given that we are told to go out and preach the gospel in the New Testament how can God not need us to spread His message? Thank You.
    The check in your Spirit is not for nothing.

Please let us know if any more doubts enter your Spirit,

Remember 1Ti 4:1

In a very quick research on this subject, the surface seems legitimate. But the Spirit expressly says even the elect may be deceived . . . looking forward to your update and first hand knowledge of this doctrinal framework.