Thread: Authentic Intimacy Conference

Default Authentic Intimacy Conference

Just found out my church is going to host a conference called "Authentic Intimacy Conference". Dr. Juli Slattery is going to speak. It is an all day conference. They had a video promotion this past Sunday and they mentioned the phrase "Holy Sexuality" in the video. I was a little uncomfortable. But I am probably very old fashioned!!! Has anyone heard of or had experience with this conference? I am so wary of any women's conference as there are so many unsound ones out there.

Default Authentic Intimacy Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Just found out my church is going to host a conference called "Authentic Intimacy Conference". Dr. Juli Slattery is going to speak. It is an all day conference. They had a video promotion this past Sunday and they mentioned the phrase "Holy Sexuality" in the video. I was a little uncomfortable. But I am probably very old fashioned!!! Has anyone heard of or had experience with this conference? I am so wary of any women's conference as there are so many unsound ones out there.
    Sunshine: I came across your post and think you were wise in your concern. The date today is 4/6/17 and I am sure your Conference is over. I am curious if you found out if Dr. Juli Slattery was above board in her presentation. I am so like you and it is okay to be old fashion. If loving Jesus and wanting to keep our minds pure considered old fashion, then perhaps the critics should read more of the Word. I did a search on her after I read your concerns. As you know she did coauthor a book regarding the 50 Shades of Grey. She explained she read the book then shared why she felt it should not be read. She did try to explain what erotica is and how it is not good to allow oneself to fall prey to this subject matter. I remember a young TV preacher having a series of sermons on Sex in marriage. He had a bed on the platform. I was furious and never watched him again. I think we know in our spirit when we are uneasy about something, run.... run fast. I am aware there are people who honestly need clean and wholesome teaching on this subject. I hope it turned out to be helpful to someone. If a person is truly in the Word and truly loves Jesus, they really should not be in need of teaching. If they are having problems in their thought life or acting out fantasy, they need a counselor. I would not suggest a group therapy for this subject. I think it would be like striking a match under dry kindling. This is my opinion. GG-68
    It is a fearsome thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    Hebrews 10:31

GG-68---yes they had the conference. My husband works for the church and his boss went out to eat with this doctor and some other folks in the church and he said this doctor spent a lot of time talking about transgender issues---apparently there is now a case of a father and son who now are mother and daughter and she was talking about how awful this was. I did not go to the conference. I guess I am just too old fashioned about this issue and feel some things should be discussed in private and not in the setting of a conference. As a result of this conference three bible studies are going to take place at my church this summer on sexual issues and Christians. I will be looking for a bible study at another church for this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    GG-68---yes they had the conference. My husband works for the church and his boss went out to eat with this doctor and some other folks in the church and he said this doctor spent a lot of time talking about transgender issues---apparently there is now a case of a father and son who now are mother and daughter and she was talking about how awful this was. I did not go to the conference. I guess I am just too old fashioned about this issue and feel some things should be discussed in private and not in the setting of a conference. As a result of this conference three bible studies are going to take place at my church this summer on sexual issues and Christians. I will be looking for a bible study at another church for this summer.
    Oh goodness, Sunshine. I am not surprised the Bible Studies are going to spring up. If ALL people knew how many closet perverted people are sitting in Church, they would not add fuel to the fire. With things being what they are today, even same gender groups could be dangerous. If they were having a Bible Study and the topic came up that is one thing, but if it is all about sex, I think this is dangerous. The wolf comes in wearing sheep clothing. I realize it sounds like I am a 'goody two shoes.' I once was lost, now I am found. Since 1968 actually. But, I haven't had my head in the sand either. I do not watch TV programs, but I see the promos for shows coming on. Or simply reading my newspaper, tells me what is going on in the world. God bless you for taking a stand. And for allowing the Holy Spirit show you in advance this would have grieved your spirit. GG-68

My apologies if I carried this topic too far. The Lord bless and keep all safe from all harm. GG-68

Quote Originally Posted by GG-68 View Post
    My apologies if I carried this topic too far. The Lord bless and keep all safe from all harm. GG-68
    GG-68 you did not carry things too far. I have been real busy with my mom the last two days and just now saw your comment. I agree with most of your comments. I think one needs to be careful what one focuses on and focusing so much on sex stuff is not good. I can barely read/watch the news when they are talking about all this transgender issues/homosexual issues, etc. I never even talked about sexual issues with my girlfriends before I was saved. I was raised that you did not talk about these issues so being in a bible study about them....no...I do not think so!!!