Thread: Asking others about Jesus' work on the cross.

Default Asking others about Jesus' work on the cross.

Hello!

As I talk more openly with people about salvation the + works crowd always chimes in. I'll spare the details but it's the typical fruit inspector stuff where they demand a Holy life to show gratitude towards Jesus.

The only blatant question I keep asking once debates turn into me constantly correcting verses (you know where they take a verse but intentionally leave out the previous/next verses) is

"Was Jesus' Work on the cross sufficient?"

Is this a bit too blunt?
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    "Was Jesus' Work on the cross sufficient?"

Is this a bit too blunt?
    No.

Paul said, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead/died in vain."

It can be a good thing, and beneficial, to be straightforward [provided one is speaking the truth in love, with the motive being their benefit].

Quote Originally Posted by acceptedintheBeloved View Post
    No.

Paul said, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead/died in vain."

It can be a good thing, and beneficial, to be straightforward [provided one is speaking the truth in love, with the motive being their benefit].

1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

ldonjohn

I agree, not too blunt at all.

The Christian radio station I was listening to this week shared the 20/20 rule for when people try and take one verse out of context. To fully understand the verse in it's context, read it with the 20 verses before and the 20 verses after.
    I liked that.

I keep running into those who think Jeus work on the cross was sufficient,
    but can't quite grasp "free" and think that it only works for past sins.