Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gorsuch Hearings Now

Default Senate goes 'nuclear,' ends Democrats' blockade of Trump court pick

Senate Republicans on Thursday crushed a Democratic blockade of President Donald Trump's U.S. Supreme Court nominee in a fierce partisan brawl, approving a rule change dubbed the "nuclear option" to allow for conservative judge Neil Gorsuch's confirmation by Friday.

With ideological control of the country's highest court at stake, the Republican-led Senate voted 52-48 along party lines to change its long-standing rules in order to prohibit a procedural tactic called a filibuster against Supreme Court nominees. That came after Republicans failed by a 55-45 tally to muster the 60-vote super-majority needed to end the Democratic filibuster that had sought to deny Gorsuch confirmation to the lifetime post.

The Senate's action cleared the way to confirm Gorsuch by simple majority on Friday, with a final vote expected by late morning. Republicans control the Senate 52-48. The rule change was called the "nuclear option" because it was considered an extreme break with Senate tradition.

Source article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...2F+Top+News%29

I believe the vote is supposed to take place at 11:30 a.m. Eastern time... Given the history of the Republican party when they're holding the power... I'll believe it when it's done. Doing the nuculear option thing was a big step in the right direction...
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Doing a little reading on supermajorities in the senate I found this piece. Pretty illuminating based on the Federalist Papers:
    The Framers were very deliberate in expressing their intentions of how Congress should operate. They debated, but abandoned, the idea of a requiring a supermajority of 67 or 60 votes to pass legislation or confirm presidential appointments. It had been tried with the Articles of Confederation and produced nothing but chronic dysfunction.

So the Founders rejected the same concept for the new Constitution. They regarded it as a pernicious restraint on representative government grounded in majority rule. It would be, quite simply, undemocratic. And lead to a tyranny of the minority.

They therefore limited the supermajority imperative to just five specific circumstances: ratifying treaties, overriding presidential vetoes, expelling senators, amending the Constitution, and impeaching presidents. All other acts, by exclusion, were meant to be made by a majority vote which was regarded universally as the natural law of democracy.

These desires were spelled out in detail in The Federalist Papers, the 85 articles composed by Hamilton, Madison and Jay which serve as their defense of, and rationale for, the principles and text expressed in the Constitution itself. In Federalist 22, Alexander Hamilton derided the supermajority method by warning that “smaller numbers will overrule the greater…and destroy the energy of government.”

These writings make clear the Framers did not want a minority of Senators to have the equivalent of veto power over congressional acts, which is precisely what the filibuster rule accomplishes by giving 41 Senators the power to block legislation.

The principle of majority rule was the fundamental feature of democracy at the founding of our republic. Its practice was reflected in the many Articles within the Constitution. Any exceptions were expressly provided.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...verything.html
    Last edited by Steve53; April 7th, 2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Please give proper attribution when quoting or risk having posts deleted.
    "Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..."

Default Senate confirms Trump pick Neil Gorsuch to Supreme Court

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate confirmed Neil Gorsuch to become the newest associate justice on the Supreme Court Friday, elevating Donald Trump's nominee following a corrosive partisan confrontation that could have lasting impacts for the Senate and the court.

Vice President Mike Pence was presiding as the Senate voted 54-45 in favor of Gorsuch, a 49-year-old veteran of the 10th U.S. Circuit of Appeals in Denver whose rulings make him an intellectual heir to the late Justice Antonin Scalia, whose seat he will fill.

Gorsuch won support from 51 of the chambers' Republicans as well as three moderate Democrats up for re-election in states Trump won last fall: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Donnelly of Indiana. GOP Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia did not vote.

Source Article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Yeaah!!! I wasn't trusting the Republicans to do this in advance... now I'm pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
    Last edited by Steve53; April 7th, 2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Please give proper attribution when quoting or risk having posts deleted.
    Sure, glad to kindly supply the requested citation: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...verything.html
    "Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate confirmed Neil Gorsuch to become the newest associate justice on the Supreme Court Friday, elevating Donald Trump's nominee following a corrosive partisan confrontation that could have lasting impacts for the Senate and the court.

Vice President Mike Pence was presiding as the Senate voted 54-45 in favor of Gorsuch, a 49-year-old veteran of the 10th U.S. Circuit of Appeals in Denver whose rulings make him an intellectual heir to the late Justice Antonin Scalia, whose seat he will fill.

Gorsuch won support from 51 of the chambers' Republicans as well as three moderate Democrats up for re-election in states Trump won last fall: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Donnelly of Indiana. GOP Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia did not vote.

Source Article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Yeaah!!! I wasn't trusting the Republicans to do this in advance... now I'm pleased.

YYYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!! Finally. Now if the Trump Administration would just nominate some more judges!!! Hugh Hewitt goes on and on about how there are so many vacancies and that Trump should have been nominating folks way before now....

Now President Trump can appeal some of these insane rulings against his Executive Orders relating to immigration all the way to the Supreme Court, and have a chance of winning.

Sure, glad to kindly supply the requested citation: ...
    Don't feel bad. Took me a while to get in line with the linking requirements of this forum.
    They have some peculiarities, but have reasons for them.

Well, it is nice that we have a moderately conservative Justice to replace the moderately conservative Antonin Scalia.

Will slow and limit the damage the "Liberals" and "Progressives" can do.

Default Gorsuch Takes First Oath to Become SCOTUS Justice

Neil Gorsuch has taken the first oath to become the 113th justice of the Supreme Court. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. administered the oath in a private ceremony at the Supreme Court building.

Gorsuch will participate in a second ceremony at the White House Rose Garden with President Trump, in which Justice Anthony M. Kennedy will administer the oath.

Source article: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...stice-n2311423

I think it is telling that Justice Kennedy will be administering the 2nd oath. I suspect Justice Kennedy will announce his retirement soon.

I think it is telling that Justice Kennedy will be administering the 2nd oath. I suspect Justice Kennedy will announce his retirement soon.
    Then there's Ginsberg. I think part of her has already "retired"--------- just saying. I'm hoping she's on her way out soon, very soon.
    That would be a win, win!

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
    Then there's Ginsberg. I think part of her has already "retired"--------- just saying. I'm hoping she's on her way out soon, very soon.
    That would be a win, win!

Hahaha! I think so, too!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Sure, glad to kindly supply the requested citation: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...verything.html
    Thx. I had already put it in for you.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.