Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorsuch Hearings Now

Default Gorsuch Hearings Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uNjra1kbI

Beginning of Justice hearings for the supreme court beinning this week ...live you tube.

Default Feinstein: I'm Concerned that Gorsuch Is an 'Originalist'

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) offered her interpretation of the Constitution at Monday’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing for Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch. In her opening remarks, the Democratic senator said she was deeply troubled by the nominee’s identifying himself as a constitutional “originalist.”

Feinstein began by noting she was “deeply disappointed” that Obama’s choice for the Supreme Court, Merrick Garland, did not get the luxury of a hearing. Nevertheless, she said it is now the committee’s job to determine whether Gorsuch is a “reasonable mainstream conservative” fit for the highest court in the land.

Full article here: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...tacks-n2301551

Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Default Democrats raise doubts about Trump's high court nominee Gorsuch

Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's U.S. Supreme Court nominee, on Monday emphasized the need for judicial independence even as Trump castigates jurists who have ruled against him, while Democrats questioned whether he would rule against abortion rights and gun control while favoring corporations.

As Senate Judiciary Committee opened its confirmation hearing for Gorsuch, Republicans praised the conservative federal appeals court judge from Colorado as highly qualified for a lifetime appointment as a justice, with the ideological balance of the Supreme Court at stake.

Speaking publicly for the first time since Trump nominated him on Jan. 31, Gorsuch defended his record as judge in the face of criticism of his rulings by committee Democrats. Despite slim chances of blocking his nomination in the Republican-led Senate, Democrats raised questions about Gorsuch's suitability for the court.

Full article here: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...2F+Top+News%29

Of course the Democrats raise doubts... they'll make his appointment process as painful as possible.

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Default There you have it.

Gorsuch: 'I would have walked out the door' if asked to overturn Roe v. Wade - CNN
    https://apple.news/AFmZ_boQtToeNtlANYK7Zzg

Still supporting him now?

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverYours View Post
    Gorsuch: 'I would have walked out the door' if asked to overturn Roe v. Wade - CNN

Yep, I am starting to have reservations with him... is he a closet lib? He sure is not supporting his nominator the way I would have hoped. The other side puts on raving left wingers.... we can't seem to get more than 50% of the conservatives to be conservative once confirmed.

I am starting to wonder if we would be better off if he was voted down, and we go with plan B.
    "Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..."

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

The process for the Dems is about creating a "gotcha!" moment. The Roe v. Wade bit was another attempt at just such a moment. And although his answer may not bring comfort for some hoping for an activist judge, I think Gorsuch is handling himself very well by stressing his adherence to the law.

My hope is that he will be the kind of justice he's rumored to be and claims to be - a literalist who ignores the political in favor of the law.

And Roe v. Wade isn't something he can singlehandedly overturn anyway.

A better approach IMHO is to keep pressuring our legislators to revisit the laws that permit abortions in the first place.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

His answer had to do with separation of powers, not abortion. The question could have been "what if President Trump told you to how to rule on issue x, y, or z?" He gave the absolute correct answer. The president cannot order a Supreme Court justice how to rule. Rather, they should rule independently according to the law. As Steve said, this was the demonrats trying to create a "gotcha" moment. His answer had absolutely nothing to do with abortion.

Don't fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
    Yep, I am starting to have reservations with him... is he a closet lib? He sure is not supporting his nominator the way I would have hoped. The other side puts on raving left wingers.... we can't seem to get more than 50% of the conservatives to be conservative once confirmed.

I am starting to wonder if we would be better off if he was voted down, and we go with plan B.
    You do not know what plan B is, do you?
    My own plan B is something I don't want to happen, or even contemplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    The process for the Dems is about creating a "gotcha!" moment. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mel018 View Post
    His answer had to do with separation of powers, not abortion. The question could have been "what if President Trump told you to how to rule on issue x, y, or z?" He gave the absolute correct answer. The president cannot order a Supreme Court justice how to rule. Rather, they should rule independently according to the law. As Steve said, this was the demonrats trying to create a "gotcha" moment. His answer had absolutely nothing to do with abortion.

Don't fall for it.
    Thank you to Steve and Mel for exposing the demonic plans of the enemy.

That said, I never wavered in my support of him, even though he isn't the conservative I would like to see on the bench, but that is only because I know the hour in which we live and know the best we can hope for is to slow the enemy's advance and slow our demise as a nation. He will help slow that destruction.

Though I dont understand alot of what they are talking about, I like what I hear from Judge Gorsuch. Regardless of whether I agree with everything he will do, he seems like an honorable man that wont be a puppet for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by mel018 View Post

Don't fall for it.
    I'm not so sure anymore after hearing his latest statement. I was really stoked about Gorsuch until this recent comment.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...w-of-the-land/

If I'm pro-life, I'm not declaring Roe v Wade as the law of the land and saying I'm walking out of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthteller7 View Post
    I'm not so sure anymore after hearing his latest statement. I was really stoked about Gorsuch until this recent comment.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...w-of-the-land/

If I'm pro-life, I'm not declaring Roe v Wade as the law of the land and saying I'm walking out of the room.
    Any conservative judge undergoing venting for the Supreme Court must realize and behave with the caution and concern of a sheep surrounded by hungry wolves.

By saying he accepts something as the law of the land doesn't imply he won't do a righteous job if called to consider the question of whether or not said law is constitutional or not. Whether it is or isn't, it most certainly is currently the law of the land. Gorsuch seems like he's doing a very good job during these proceedings, at least to me.

Thanks for your comments and assessments. Am pondering them... I highly regard the spiritual wisdom of folks on this board. I sure hope I assessed this one wrong originally. (Gorsuch that is.)
    "Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..."

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
    Thanks for your comments and assessments. Am pondering them... I highly regard the spiritual wisdom of folks on this board. I sure hope I assessed this one wrong originally. (Gorsuch that is.)
    Considering the lateness of the hour, we can expect to be witnesses to many things we'd rather not see.

Hopefully watching Gorsuch go liberal won't be one of those things.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Any conservative judge undergoing venting for the Supreme Court must realize and behave with the caution and concern of a sheep surrounded by hungry wolves.

By saying he accepts something as the law of the land doesn't imply he won't do a righteous job if called to consider the question of whether or not said law is constitutional or not. Whether it is or isn't, it most certainly is currently the law of the land. Gorsuch seems like he's doing a very good job during these proceedings, at least to me.
    I'm really torn about Gorsuch now. I understand the legal argument and the possible explanation of why he made those comments and the constitutional argument. He seems pretty conservative and I realize that progressives would love nothing more than to try to scare everyone away from an actual conservative judge, but I'm aware that we have a history of winding up with turn coat justices or end up settling for moderate conservatives.

I just hope we don't get a Roberts 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthteller7 View Post
    I just hope we don't get a Roberts 2.0.
    Almost seems like Roberts was groomed and planted there to pretend to be conservative but rule for globalism on the most important issues relating to that agenda...

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Almost seems like Roberts was groomed and planted there to pretend to be conservative but rule for globalism on the most important issues relating to that agenda...
    Exactly, the leftists/globalists/progressives always get who they want. You never see their justices turn out to be really conservative; however, we often wind up with Roberts types compromise and pick people like Kennedy.

The good news is that Ted Cruz seems to really like Gorsuch and I trust his judgment on conservative issues and finding constitutionalists.

Wow

I do not think we will ever get a better candidate than Gorsuch. Praying that he gets confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I do not think we will ever get a better candidate than Gorsuch. Praying that he gets confirmed.
    I am in agreement with you..in that Gorsuch is our best candidate. My greatest fear is this rebellious legislature is comprised of men who are under complete control of the adversary of our Father.