Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The apple phenomena

Hello, I am a new member(a reader for many years. I specifically joined to respond to this post.

You might have something here. In the last 5 years our school district has given each student an Ipad. Apple promotes their products and apps to schools, and it seems the school districts can't wait to buy anything from them. The students love the ipads, they are constantly playing games. They are never without them and if you try to take them away they freak out. The administration thinks the educational apps are the greatest thing, but our test scores are dropping every year. The students are becoming very lazy, belligerent, and unable to logically think. It is strange and frightening. The students can't spell or remember basic math, and they are not taught cursive handwriting. Most of the parents just love the ipads. It keeps their kids busy day and night. They are sold on the idea their kids are learning technology, forget the fact that the students still use their fingers to do basic addition in fourth grade. Many of the kids come to school sleep deprived because they are up until all hours playing video games on these school supplied ipads. Several years ago the district pulled a big dumpster up to the schools and tossed out thousands of library books, nearly all of them. They got rid of the librarians, and the libraries became technology centers. So, whatever is on the internet is now fact...there are no books to research information. The students have a cafe in the library, a music studio and also a video studio. They make lots of lip-dub videos etc. At the last teacher in-service our teachers became Apple certified teachers! Everyone was so proud, they posted it to all the social media sites.
    Is it just me or does this seem creepy to anyone else?
    Last edited by Tall Timbers; April 20th, 2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: repaired smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Maura View Post
    Hello, I am a new member(a reader for many years. I specifically joined to respond to this post.

You might have something here. In the last 5 years our school district has given each student an Ipad. Apple promotes their products and apps to schools, and it seems the school districts can't wait to buy anything from them. The students love the ipads, they are constantly playing games. They are never without them and if you try to take them away they freak out. The administration thinks the educational apps are the greatest thing, but our test scores are dropping every year. The students are becoming very lazy, belligerent, and unable to logically think. It is strange and frightening. The students can't spell or remember basic math, and they are not taught cursive handwriting. Most of the parents just love the ipads. It keeps their kids busy day and night. They are sold on the idea their kids are learning technology, forget the fact that the students still use their fingers to do basic addition in fourth grade. Many of the kids come to school sleep deprived because they are up until all hours playing video games on these school supplied ipads. Several years ago the district pulled a big dumpster up to the schools and tossed out thousands of library books, nearly all of them. They got rid of the librarians, and the libraries became technology centers. So, whatever is on the internet is now fact...there are no books to research information. The students have a cafe in the library, a music studio and also a video studio. They make lots of lip-dub videos etc. At the last teacher in-service our teachers became Apple certified teachers! Everyone was so proud, they posted it to all the social media sites.
    Incredibly creepy! And yet, sounds exactly like what leftists want.

I often wondered about the "apple" thing and they always seem to be the leading competitor in technology and everyone loves the iphones. My parents have an iphone, i prefer android, but have thought about iphones with my daughter so i can keep up with her and where she is since it does have a locator on it. But, the last few weeks we have had problems with her and so we have taken away her tablet and ipad and any social media. In just the last week we have noticed a major improvement with her attitude. My parents and i have decided no more internet for her unless she has to have it for school. Which of course anymore seems to be the norm.

I remember when i was her age (12) when i had a report my parents would take me to the library or I would walk and i would do research there site my references and it was done. Now it seems that they don't want these kids to learn that way.

Your whole apple theory definitley makes sense to me. I figure either Apple or Google will the the ones to come up with the technology of whatever that is for the MOB and the technology leading up to it. I'm thinking Apple tho, there seems to be such an evil about it. I don't know, i've always thought that tho and so i guess that's why i've never owned an apple anything.

Welcome to RR, Maura. I rarely post myself, but have to agree that YES this seems creepy. We have a couple of sets of encyclopedias (the real thing!) that I've been trying to decide what to do with... maybe we should hang on to them.

I'm going to have to ask my teacher friends what the libraries are like in their schools. I know that in my son's high school (which is only four years old), they do have a library with actual books, and a librarian. One friend who is a choral teacher doesn't like that she is required to use technology in her class; it distracts from singing!

People are in a mind control trance. Fakebook, X-Box iPhone texting etc. etc. Dehumanization in overdrive.........
    http://rr-bb.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2301&dateline=1357777  734
    I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
    Psalm 16:8 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by logosone View Post
    People are in a mind control trance. Fakebook, X-Box iPhone texting etc. etc. Dehumanization in overdrive.........
    My thoughts exactly...

I do homeschooling (online classes) with my 8 th grade son. He recently had an assignment in which he had to research ways that technology has been used for teaching in schools as well as how productive it has been. It was supposed to be in the form of why technology funds should be kept in mainstream schools and not included in cutbacks
    In researching more than one site the same argument came up repeatedly~~that children need to be schooled in technology in order to keep up with the rest of the world. It made it sound as if it were a type of "bonding" with everyone on the planet....which,Im sure, is what it was meant to convey. Many sites also sang the praises of being able to look up info with ease as opposed to having to drag out a book... :/

I had never even considered the apple brand to be related to Adam and Eve....and hadn't thought about the bite out of the apple. This is fascinating to me! Everyone had such good points, too. Great post!!!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Bible

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    I had never even considered the apple brand to be related to Adam and Eve....and hadn't thought about the bite out of the apple. This is fascinating to me! Everyone had such good points, too. Great post!!!
    In an effort to be biblically sound, folks..

The Bible never said it was an apple. Now, we assume it was, but show me the verse it says "apple."

Now, I do think that what Apple the company ties to - is rooted in the same beliefs. Knowledge/power, etc - so I do agree with the idea you have (and they ultimately had same thought too). However, because I'm into facts, please note, that the type of fruit from the tree of knowledge isn't named. We can assume or guess (we even give teachers apples because they teach knowledge), but we do not truly know.

Just wanted to put that out there. I dig the connection and theory, just wanted to clarify one detail!

Carry on.

Apple's original logo back in the 70s was a drawing of Newton under the apple tree... just sayin'... it's evolved into what it is today. :dunno But if they didn't mean it to reference Eden, then it sure is a striking coincidence.

Google Wallet/Android Pay and Apple Wallet/Apple Pay seems ripe (bad pun!) for MOB. Given that school flyers and info, newsletters are sent via Peachtree (what's with the fruit thing?!) and Google docs, Signup Genius for volunteer activities, etc I feel like it's a moot point to fight the technology unless you homeschool and are self-employed or independently wealthy. My strategy is teaching my kids to be smart with it instead. It's supposed to be a "smart phone" right?! So, I let them use their gadgets but they are put away at night. I talk to them about learning to interact face to face (my son's gf broke up with him via text so I told him that shows how immature she was and she sure was!) We talk about "tech manners" like don't type what you wouldn't say to your grandparents' face, online safety, know your audience so you're not using slang to talk to your great aunt, don't bully, know what conversations are better over a phone etc. I use Facebook because my older daughters Girl Scout troop posts all their info and events on a closed Facebook page but it shocks me how many adults use it to trash on their spouse, complain about their jobs, brag about their lifestyle, etc. Bottom line, these things may be a necessary evil as most companies have some aspect of social media, ACT/SATs are done electronically etc. I feel like the best odds are teaching kids they are only one of many tools and if you don't use correct search parameters, evaluate credibility of source info, use the tools correctly then it's like using an axe to peel an apple
    Toots

they threw all the library books into a dumpster!!? As a book lover, that is horrible to me.
    Why couldn't they donate them to a literacy program? Give them away to interested
    people, anything but destruction. terrible waste. And yes, people get addicted to
    their devices, very troubling.
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I often wondered about the "apple" thing and they always seem to be the leading competitor in technology and everyone loves the iphones. My parents have an iphone, i prefer android, but have thought about iphones with my daughter so i can keep up with her and where she is since it does have a locator on it
    Stacey, you can get an app called Life 360 for both your phone and anyone else's phone, but they have to be put in 'your' network. I have android cell phone, and it works fine. My dh also has Life 360. Do a Google search on it to see how it works.

-Lynn

Default From the bible we know the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not an apple tree

From the bible we know the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Gen 2:17) was not an apple tree because God had already given mankind permission to eat from the Apple Tree and others in Gen 1:29.

Genesis 1:29 29 Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;

Since and Apple tree's fruit yields seeds, it could not have been the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
    Rev 5:12 "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing."

I think it is just the fact that there is a bite taken out of the apple, and basically the apple sort of represents the fruit that Eve (and eventually Adam) partook of.

That's what I meant when I posted. Even though WE know it wasn't an apple, it has always been described as an apple kinda. People who don't read the bible probably think it was an apple. That's why I think the world would use an apple as a depiction maybe.............

Here's an interview with the man who actually created the Apple logo: http://creativebits.org/interview/in...ner_apple_logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    Here's an interview with the man who actually created the Apple logo: http://creativebits.org/interview/in...ner_apple_logo
    Well, there it is, straight from the designer (from the article Shonsu linked):

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Janoff
    Anyway, when I explain the real reason why I did the bite it's kind of a let down. But I'll tell you. I designed it with a bite for scale, so people get that it was an apple not a cherry. Also it was kind of iconic about taking a bite out of an apple. Something that everyone can experience. It goes across cultures. If anybody ever had an apple he has probably bitten into it and that's what you get. It was after I designed it that my creative director told me: "Well you know, there is a computer term called byte". And I was like: "You're kidding!" So, it was like perfect, but it was coincidental that it was also a computer term. At the time I had to be told everything about basic computer terms.
    As a designer, I can say that makes sense to me.

But what a coinkidink...

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    But what a coinkidink...