Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Completed What You Wish to Accomplish?

Diane, I've been watching and waiting since 1970!!! Hal Lindsey's "Late Great Planet Earth" got me started. So, forty-seven years!!! Talk about being tired........
    But, I agree, things seem to be ramping up and falling into place so fast now. I don't think it will be too much longer either. Hallelujah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan51 View Post
    Yes, I too have seen many experiencing greater testing as of late. It makes me wonder if we are taking our "finals" in preparation for graduation.
    Yes indeed. And I pray Lord please have mercy on us as we wait eagerly for you to come. Thank you Jesus for what you accomplished for us and our gift of eternal life. Give us strength in these last days and bring home all who are called by Your name. Amen.

Diane, I've been watching and waiting since 1970!!! Hal Lindsey's "Late Great Planet Earth" got me started. So, forty-seven years!!! Talk about being tired........
    Ohhhh wow, that's a long time!

Why is it when you're waiting for something, time seems to go slower?

Knowing our days are numbered (I believe we won't be here past 2035) my motto is: do it now. There are seven days a week, and "someday" isn't one of them.

I'm so excited to be part of Jesus' Kingdom!

Diane
    Diane
    Psalm 108:1 - my heart is determined.

#T h e C o m i n g C h r i s t M o v i e

#S c r i p t u r e S e e d s

Quote Originally Posted by kathymendel View Post
    But, I agree, things seem to be ramping up and falling into place so fast now. I don't think it will be too much longer either. Hallelujah!!!
    I am a little behind you, as I first began to understand that Jesus is coming back
    in the mid 70's, after reading the book: A Thief in the Night.
    I don't know how old that book is, but I read it around 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by poc4dw View Post
    Ohhhh wow, that's a long time!
    Why is it when you're waiting for something, time seems to go slower?
    Depends on how you go about waiting. My dad always say that you should wait
    like a duck. Calm on the surface and paddling like mad underneath.
    Took me a long time working on that skill, and still don't always
    get it right.

Knowing our days are numbered (I believe we won't be here past 2035) my motto is: do it now. There are seven days a week, and "someday" isn't one of them.
    I'm so excited to be part of Jesus' Kingdom!
    Diane
    I was never good at not procrastinating, but between certain handicaps
    I have and the missions God has set before me, I don't really have time
    to be bored. God has given me a challenging path, if I am up to it.

I too am old, but one thing my studies in scripture reinforce to me is my will should be to do God's will. Thus my plans aren't what matter. My plans too often turn out to be about me. John the Baptizer said, "He must increase, I must decrease." That seems a good motto. Usually exercising my will turns out to involve sin anyway. Sin is not the Father's will for His children. My favorite definition of sin comes from John Nelson Darby who wrote, "sin is a man having his own way." It's enough for me to be used of God, which it seems isn't something I can plan.

Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by G Moorish View Post
    I too am old, but one thing my studies in scripture reinforce to me is my will should be to do God's will. Thus my plans aren't what matter. My plans too often turn out to be about me. John the Baptizer said, "He must increase, I must decrease." That seems a good motto. Usually exercising my will turns out to involve sin anyway. Sin is not the Father's will for His children. My favorite definition of sin comes from John Nelson Darby who wrote, "sin is a man having his own way." It's enough for me to be used of God, which it seems isn't something I can plan.

Marvin
    I am certain that is so. But I suspect that before Abraham departed
    his father's land and journeyed to Canaan, he packed his clothes
    and provisions for travel. In addition, Jesus said something to his
    disciples about this, in Luke 22:35-36.

Did Paul go on his journeys without a destination in mind?
    Not according to what Luke wrote in Acts.

None of that means I will do exactly what I have planned today,
    and already, I have had to amend my plans about 4 or 5 times.

But my path ahead is fairly well marked and I can see where the
    next steps seem to be headed, and the brain that God gave me
    has extrapolated where it seems to lead, and so I gather provisions
    and prepare for the journey.

(Hmmm, maybe some rugged shoes...)

Take care my friend, until we meet in the sky.

Rom 12:1-2 I implore you therefore, brethren, by the compassions of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, [by] your intelligent service. And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of mind, that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (translation mine)

Php.2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

1Jn.2:17 And the world is passing, and its lust, but he that does the will of God abides for eternity.

Indeed those in scripture who journeyed forth under the leading of the Lord also prepared themselves - unless our Lord instructed them specifically. (Isaiah 20 comes to mind.) What missionary goes afield without first learning the target language? Even those who would preach should prepare their ministry before hand. That last point is clear to anyone who has listened to an unprepared preacher. A capable preacher/teacher is the result of considerable preparation. One who would serve the Lord needs to prepare to serve the Lord even for small works.

My point was that despite perceived urgency, too often those professing to do the will of God are really false, doing their own will instead. In that sad condition I have at times found myself. But sometimes I find our Lord has used me to achieve a small result for His glory. Then I see it wasn't about me, my intentions nor my best plans. Faithfulness requires submissive obedience. Whatever our personal preparation, faith and obedience define our personal limits. Beyond that, the Holy Spirit must work - else, it comes to naught, wood, hay and stubble.

Marvin

OK, we are in agreement. I misunderstood your previous posting, and thought for a moment you were applying Luke 10:1-12 to today, as I have had others try to apply it to today.

... Even those who would preach should prepare their ministry before hand. That last point is clear to anyone who has listened to an unprepared preacher. A capable preacher/teacher is the result of considerable preparation. One who would serve the Lord needs to prepare to serve the Lord even for small works.
    Wow, you are correct here. You could substitute teacher for preacher and get me. I thought I was almost ready to teach, and so I asked God to show my what I still lack. Eye opener. He sent me a couple of students who were as argumentative as I am, but have been taught erroneous theology. OK, another year of study is in order.

My point was that despite perceived urgency, too often those professing to do the will of God are really false, doing their own will instead. In that sad condition I have at times found myself. But sometimes I find our Lord has used me to achieve a small result for His glory. Then I see it wasn't about me, my intentions nor my best plans. Faithfulness requires submissive obedience. Whatever our personal preparation, faith and obedience define our personal limits. Beyond that, the Holy Spirit must work - else, it comes to naught, wood, hay and stubble.

Marvin
    I have been blessed, in that in my past three jobs, God has shown me exactly why He put me there. The first of the three, He showed me a year after I left, but these last two, He showed my why I am here while I was engaged in the work (the work laid before me, as in Ephesians 2:10).

But each time He wants me to leave what I am doing, He makes it impossible to stay. Twice He has injured me in such a way I could no longer do the work at my employment, while simultaneously opening an opportunity somewhere else. That is what I mean by "my path ahead is fairly well marked and I can see where the next steps seem to be headed."

I could go on for pages about my next mission, but that is for another thread.

John Nelson Darby who wrote, "sin is a man having his own way."
    Hello Marvin/All,

I assume that I must be missing something here? Am I understanding Darby correctly that any exercise of Free Will is sin??

Aren't there clearly indicated sins, obvious good works and then a lot of 'secular life' wedged in between? Things that are morally neutral. Preferences. That is, "having my own way" with mundane things.

Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by HopeHopeHope View Post
    Hello Marvin/All,

I assume that I must be missing something here? Am I understanding Darby correctly that any exercise of Free Will is sin??

Aren't there clearly indicated sins, obvious good works and then a lot of 'secular life' wedged in between? Things that are morally neutral. Preferences. That is, "having my own way" with mundane things.

Blessings
    Let me first speak for myself saying, I know I draw nary one breath without sin, no matter what the circumstance. My sinfulness will end only when I quit this earth. So badly do I need our Lord's salvation! But I sincerely believe the same is true for every Christian. I do not judge another man's motivations, but I well know the thin line between godly works and self. Knowing that, I always have to check myself, my own motivations. This is consistent with Mr. Darby's writings of which I have read all.

Mr. Darby modeled his life on separation unto Christ from sin, evil and the world. He was not always consistent, but he did not knowingly countenance evil. When he wrote, "sin is a man having his own way"; it was in the context of the will of man being opposed to the will of God. But since you asked, in connection with 1Jn.2:15-17, Mr. Darby wrote: "A Christian has no right to have a will of his own, nor should he desire it, but rather to know what is that good and perfect will of God. (Nine Lectures on the First Epistle of John, page 41). I think that clearly puts his position on Christian free will.

The question might be, Did Christ set us free merely so we can exercise our own will? Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place? All I would say in reply is, while the Apostles saw themselves as bond servants to Christ, it seems today very few believers truly behave themselves as such.

Marvin

Let me first speak for myself saying, I know I draw nary one breath without sin, no matter what the circumstance. My sinfulness will end only when I quit this earth. So badly do I need our Lord's salvation! But I sincerely believe the same is true for every Christian. I do not judge another man's motivations, but I well know the thin line between godly works and self. Knowing that, I always have to check myself, my own motivations. This is consistent with Mr. Darby's writings of which I have read all.

Mr. Darby modeled his life on separation unto Christ from sin, evil and the world. He was not always consistent, but he did not knowingly countenance evil. When he wrote, "sin is a man having his own way"; it was in the context of the will of man being opposed to the will of God. But since you asked, in connection with 1Jn.2:15-17, Mr. Darby wrote: "A Christian has no right to have a will of his own, nor should he desire it, but rather to know what is that good and perfect will of God. (Nine Lectures on the First Epistle of John, page 41). I think that clearly puts his position on Christian free will.

The question might be, Did Christ set us free merely so we can exercise our own will? Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place? All I would say in reply is, while the Apostles saw themselves as bond servants to Christ, it seems today very few believers truly behave themselves as such.

Marvin
    Hey Marvin! God bless you. I appreciate the care (and time) with which you replied. Have absolutely no doubt that you've read all of Darby's writings. I've received many of those same things directly from the Bible illuminated by the Holy Spirit. As I assume Darby did.

Have benefitted from other Believer's lives and writings as well. It is a legitimate path to profitable knowledge. I don't judge another man's motives, but I do try to discern them.

Always thank God for my food. But does He care what exactly I eat? While I know He is present in the whole matter, within body (temple) honoring guidelines, a quality choice could be a number of things that are merely a preference of the uniquely created person that I am. Is that really sin? (Of course if I have an unction from the Spirit to not eat something and I disregard such then fooey on me!)

I ask this question because it has been a considerable problem in my life. 'Knowing the will of God' for me. Literally, right now, I am unable to decide in regards to new transportation. Should I buy new, certified used or buy a really old vehicle and fix it up? Or repair one of my aging vehicles? I ask other Believers and they say "He doesn't care. Do whatever you want. Its not a spiritual matter." But I lean toward what you are saying in that I believe God has interests in even the little matters of life. (And these days vehicles aren't a small matter!) So without sensing a clear direction, here I sit paralyzed with uncertainty for months now and not wanting to mess up (yet again!). I will freely admit to a limited ability to hear God on every little matter.

And I literally am trying to find a vehicle that I like, but not like very much (love), to avoid exactly what you are saying. But then I get responses like "whats wrong with you!?" I don't know whats wrong with me? But something is. The Old Man? Pride of Ownership? Whats others may think of my choice? (Ordinary pride.) Will they respect it, and by extension, me? Maybe a Double Minded man? Maybe a false humility in that instead of a new pickup, I instead love the money even more?? All are possible in my case. "Thin line" indeed!

I'm definitely no apostle. The Holy Spirit has recently been showing me that root of bitterness has taken hold in my life and it is wrecking havoc. The above is likely, at the very least, negatively influenced by it.

As to the original topic, I sure wish I could get this figured out better. But I only want to do whatever He wants so I can get a "Well done somewhat faithful servant" and He can take me home NOW. If not sooner. Use to want to experience the rapture (weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!), but now I leave it up to Him.

I hate this world, but honestly this is partly true because I am largely a failure in it. I'd love to claim more piety, but I am such minded that I believe the Lord may be withholding a healing so that I do not run out into the world further than I do now in my defective condition. As per my prayer request! "Lord, don't give me so much that I become ensnared." He is faithful. That would be, IMO, contrary to some modern ear tickling. God actually being... good... all the time!

Craig

The question might be, Did Christ set us free merely so we can exercise our own will? Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place?
    No one said God set us free merely to exercise our own will. This is a classic strawman argument. One has to strain to bring this into the discussion. I'm disappointed.

Also disappointed with my own convoluted response. Lets try something more straight forward...

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Was man created with Free Will or not??

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

All I am saying is to stop calling bad, what God calls very good.

I must ask you something else. How can you cease to exercise free will without practicing it??

I am going to go ahead and mosey off now. Obviously have a lot of personal work to do. Blessings All.

Quote Originally Posted by HopeHopeHope View Post
    No one said God set us free merely to exercise our own will. This is a classic strawman argument. One has to strain to bring this into the discussion.

All I am saying is to stop calling bad, what God calls very good.

I must ask you something else. How can you cease to exercise free will without practicing it??

Rom.8:18-22 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy [to be compared] with the coming glory to be revealed to us. For the anxious looking out of the creature expects the revelation of the sons of God: for the creature has been made subject to vanity, not of its will, but by reason of him who has subjected [the same], in hope that the creature itself also shall be set free from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now.

Rom.8:29 Because whom he has foreknown, he has also predestinated [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, so that he should be [the] firstborn among many brethren.

I don't think it was a straw man argument at all. It is the central question I would ask of every Christian who replaces Christ as their center with the materialism of possessions. Free will exercise is at the very heart of it. Surely they have the right to exercise free will, but how would they justify it to our Lord Jesus Christ Who did only the will of the Father? They go and do everything unbelievers do, rationalizing gratifying their own lusts, just as unbelievers do - then they wonder why their Christian testimony is ineffective.

Incidentally, I am informed by missionaries who serve our Lord in Africa that Christians there look with disappointment at Christians in the United States because of our worldly walk and material display. That bears contemplation.

Surely God pronounced His creation to be very good at the time He made it. How could it be otherwise? But as the planet now groans under the effect of sin, does God still call it very good? Will He not purge and renovate it by fire? And while Adam was indeed created in the image of God, how is it we must now be restored to the image of Christ? Does it not indicate the image suffered loss in Adam's exercise of free will in the garden? Indeed Adam was created with free will and he exercised it to disobey the stated will of God.

At the restaurant I may freely pick whatever entree I wish and might afford. But I must question myself, is it God's will for me to be in the restaurant in the first place? Having a choice I set up for myself, doesn't mean God's will intended me to have that choice to make. Who among us has not turned the liberty unto which Christ has called us into opportunities for the flesh (Gal.5:13)? Man's vaunted "free will" inevitably leads to sin. What is there to celebrate about it?

Instead, the Apostle Paul enjoined us to follow the Apostles's example (2Th.3:7). Their confession was as bond-servants of Christ and indeed that is very hard way to go. Paul had rights he specifically didn't exercise. Self denial is a Christian doctrine that seems to get only limited preaching these days. But therein is the answer to your question - self denial to the point that the only will being freely exercised is God's will. I'm not saying I consistently meet that test. I have the same problem Paul confessed in Rom.7:14-25. So I know how unreliable is my flesh and that exercising my rights only amplifies my flesh, not my Christian testimony.

Marvin

So free will will be removed once we are completely restored back to our Garden of Eden days since Adam screwed it up the first time?
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    So free will will be removed once we are completely restored back to our Garden of Eden days since Adam screwed it up the first time?
    2 Cor 3:15:17
    But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
    Liberty. Hmmm. What a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

I understand. I don't think what we eat or car we drive. Unless there is some form of idolatry getting involved it seems really weird to get wrapped in that.

In the Garden of Eden they had free roam minus one tree. In Genesis 2:16-17 it appears there are many options just one bad one. Didn't seem God had a strict plan on when and what tree to eat from.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

2Co.3:12-14 Having therefore such hope, we use much boldness: and not according as Moses put a veil on his own face, so that the children of Israel should not fix their eyes on the end of that annulled. But their thoughts have been darkened, for unto this day the same veil remains in reading the old covenant, unremoved, which in Christ is annulled. But unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil lies upon their heart. But when it shall turn to [the] Lord, the veil is taken away.) Now the Lord is the Spirit, but where the Spirit of [the] Lord [is, there is] liberty. But we all, looking on the glory of the Lord, with unveiled face, are transformed according to the same image from glory to glory, even as by [the] Lord [the] Spirit.

Taken in full context, the liberty indicated is specifically freedom from the Law of Moses which our Lord Jesus Christ is plainly said to have annulled. It has nothing to do with free will. The passage actually compares our liberty from the Law's prescription over which the Rabbinical system stumbles. That is Christian Liberty enabling the believer to do the will of God without law. John 8:31-36 seems to carry the same aspect: those who continue in His word will know truth and truth will set them free. Romans 3:20-28 seem to reinforce the same teaching.

Romans 14 might be taken as the same "free will" indicated by some here. There, the Apostle Paul warns against exercising one's liberty to the point of stumbling a weaker brother. It's really about exercising personal liberty toward the edification and unity of the body of Christ which is underlined by Rom.14:19 and elsewhere is endorsed. Yet in Rom.10 Paul clearly warns that those n fellowship with pagan rituals cannot also have fellowship at the Lord's table even though the pagan idol is really nothing at all (1Co.8:4). So we find applicable prescription limiting perceived exercise of Christian Liberty. It is one thing to eat meat sold in the market that may once have been sacrificed on pagan altars, but it's quite another thing to partake of pagan ritual itself. That has extension to many aspects of modern life.

How often today are believers sucked into the world's systematic values thinking their free will permits and God has no stake in it? The New Testament never authorizes believers to go and to do as we please. James 4:15 make it clear whatever plan we hatch is subject ultimately to the Sovereign will of God. We go and do as the Lord wills - else, we go and do being outside the will of God. Demas was with Paul in Gal.4:10 but had departed for the present age by 2Tim.4:10. That has been my point all along. I have been outside the will of God enough times in my nearly 70 years to know it is a very shaky place to stand. It's better to search the scriptures to understand the will of God, then act upon those principles.

Marvin

The New Testament never authorizes believers to go and to do as we please.
    Yup. That's what we are all saying. Thank you for pointing out the errors of our sins.

First you pick the wrong restraunt.
    Then the wrong meal.
    Then you purchase the wrong car.
    From there the lying, cheating and stealing and immoral sexual behavior comes in. It's a downward spiral.

God offers peace and security through Christ but don't step on the crack or you'll fall and break your back.

All I know is I look so forward to the day God sounds the trump and we go to be with Jesus forever, our blessed hope.

Quote Originally Posted by $teven View Post
    All I know is I look so forward to the day God sounds the trump and we go to be with Jesus forever, our blessed hope.
    I agree, 100 percent!!!
    Jesus, please come back TODAY!!!!