Thread: Power of words/proclaiming joshua 24: 15 ?

Default Power of words/proclaiming joshua 24: 15 ?

The other day I listened to the video with Amir and Pastor Jack Hibbs and have been going over this verse in Joshua 24: 15 "But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Bl2_wgiSw

I've looked up some commentaries on this verse and yet I'm not sure I've got a correct understanding of it and would like some help if possible.

Amire speaks of this verse around the 24 to 25 min. mark. He says that we should daily proclaim upon our family this verse in Joshua and that there is great power of the words that come out of our mouth and the proclamation. Joshua 24: 15

I believe that Joshua made this statement because he and his family we're serving the Lord! I don't believe that we can proclaim this if our entire family is not serving the Lord. Would I be correct in believing this and properly understanding this Scripture.

I am very careful of the name it and claim it that is in many Churches and the power of positive confession.

https://www.gotquestions.org/name-it-claim-it.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/positive-confession.html

Perhaps I am misunderstanding Amir in this video and would like some feedback about this as well on what others here, hear him saying and to get the correct meaning of this Scripture verse.

I thought I'd also share this also to see what you all think?

http://www.ranuibaptist.org.nz/wp-co...-Joshua-24.pdf

"Remember Joshua 1 as God three times told Joshua to be strong and courageous as he took
    over the leadership of the nation from Moses. At the end of that chapter the people say to
    Joshua we will follow you like we followed Moses only be strong and very courageous.
    Mums and dads, grandparents, we need to stop being a generation of wounded people
    trying to win our children’s approval and become a generation with some backbone that will
    do what is best for them and like Joshua declare: “As for me and my household, we will
    serve the Lord.
    Not only is this a declaration it’s also
    2. AN EXPECTATION
    You and I know that it is impossible to please God without faith.
    Joshua was saying “As for me and my household we WILL serve the Lord. He was expecting
    his children and his grandchildren and his great grandchildren to walk with the Lord by faith
    and in holiness.
    What are you expecting God to do in your family?
    Do you expect that the God who has begun a good work in your family will see it through to
    completion?
    Do you expect that if you train up a child in the way he or she should go when they are old
    they will not depart from it?
    In Acts 16 when Paul and Silas witness to the prison guard and he asks how he can be saved,
    they reply believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, you and your whole
    household. And it happened.
    One of the most inspiring stories of faith to me is Noah’s story at the beginning of the bible.
    He took 120 years to build the ark that would be a place of salvation for everyone and
    everything on it. Eventually not only would two of every kind of animal make it onto that
    giant boat but also his three sons and their wives. To me one of the most inspiring things
    about Noah is this that he started building three separate rooms for his three sons BEFORE
    they were born. He had an expectation that they would be born and saved with him. And
    God honoured his faith.
    What are you expecting God to do by faith in your family?
    Not only is this statement a declaration, this is how it’s going to be, and an expectation, this
    is what I believe God will do in my whole family it’s also a
    3. A REALIZATION
    “As for ME” it starts with me. If I want my kids to love the bible, then I need to love the
    Word. If I want my kids to be honest, then I need to be honest. If I want my kids to be holy,
    then I need to live a holy life not just in public but in the secret place as well."

and https://www.gotquestions.org/household-salvation.html "household salvation"

Taking into consideration the videos that I have seen from him lately, he talks about how close the rapture is and the need to make sure we are following Christ. If I am taking him correctly, it is more of the fact that we need to make a stand for Christ as the world gets more and more against God, for us to declare that we are following him. Our declaration keeps us focused, even if all in our family is not following, it will help us to state which side we are on and to speak the gospel to those in our family. He does not use it in the way the "name it claim it" group is using Scripture.

ETA: An example from my family -- My daughter's PE class does yoga, and my daughter sits out or does something else during that time. My husband doesn't care if she does yoga or not, but I declare that our house is following the Lord; therefore, she will not do yoga. I think that is more the way he uses it, just going by his other videos.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Hi Roger, I would agree with Wishing4 concerning this video.
    I don't think Amir or Jack have ever been part of the 'name it and claim it' crowd.
    I know as a parent it's important for me to be a Godly example to my children and anyone else who comes into our home. I want the music that we listen to, the movies that we watch, the decor in our home, and the words that come out of our mouth to say "As For Me and My Family, We Will Serve The Lord."