Thread: 10,000 Steps

Default 10,000 Steps

I'm trying to walk more. I want to be healthier, use my car less, get out in nature, and feel better. Walking seems like a great way to do this.

But it's sooo hard to reach 10,000 steps/day! This seems to be the magical number doctors recommend (LOL) but when I go over say, 7K a day, I'm exhausted.

Anyone else?

Diane
    Diane
    Psalm 108:1 - my heart is determined.

#T h e C o m i n g C h r i s t M o v i e

#S c r i p t u r e S e e d s

I've never tracked my steps but maybe I should start.
    Walking is definitely one of my favorite things to do. But when I want to lose a little weight I hop on my bike. It seems like the pounds just melt off as I pedal.

That's cool that you like to bike! I got on my daughters bike the other day and almost fell off because it's been decades! I guess I'd need to relearn how to ride. 😀

I started tracking my steps recently. I walk an average of 7,000 steps/day. I think it's so interesting the average American walks 5,117 steps/day while the average Amish person walks 18,000 steps/day. I guess that old-fashioned lifestyle gets you moving.

I'm gonna keep trying!

Diane
    Diane

I'll reckon if 7000 makes you tired now, it'll be at least 7500 by next week.

Lol, I just bought me a bike couple of weeks ago, and fixing to go ride up to the top of the hill now, and see if I can see some stars! Love to stand out there in the field and gaze at the stars, wonder and maybe do a little praying.

I also kayak. Thousands of strokes per outing.* 18 years ago, it took me 45 minutes to reach my turnaround point at the bridge, now I scoot up there in a little over 10. Faster back with the current.

Keep walking... and wait upon the Lord, that way you won't faint.

* ETA: Actually, I need to back off that, quick calculations show it's probably more like 1200-1600 strokes for a typical out-n-back quick trip.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    Lol, I just bought me a bike couple of weeks ago, and fixing to go ride up to the top of the hill now, and see if I can see some stars! Love to stand out there in the field and gaze at the stars, wonder and maybe do a little praying.

I also kayak. Thousands of strokes per outing.* 18 years ago, it took me 45 minutes to reach my turnaround point at the bridge, now I scoot up there in a little over 10. Faster back with the current.

* ETA: Actually, I need to back off that, quick calculations show it's probably more like 1200-1600 strokes for a typical out-n-back quick trip.
    What kind of bike did you get? I like to mountain bike but I *love* to road bike. Plus it's a lot easier on my joints!

We're getting our kids kayaks for their birthdays (memorial weekend.) They tried it last summer and really enjoyed it!

I'll reckon if 7000 makes you tired now, it'll be at least 7500 by next week.

I love how outdoorsy you are Pixelpusher!

It seems like you get out a lot. Here in my neck of the woods if I want to experience nature I need to trespass. All the beautiful land is locked behind fences and private property signs. I wish we had an American version of Europe's "Every man's right." Their law allows them to travel by foot on private property so long as they treat it with respect and don't dwell on it.

Here in TX if you do that you're liable to get confronted or worse.

I also love your country accent! It's adorable.

We're getting our kids kayaks for their birthdays (memorial weekend.) They tried it last summer and really enjoyed it!
    I've never been kayaking! That sounds fun Koalie. I'm sure your kiddos will love it.

YSIC,
    Diane
    Diane

I wish I could walk 100 steps without any pain! I am 53, retired and I have two bulging and two herniated disks in my lower back. I have always been so active and enjoy working in the yard, doing home projects, and I used to run 1/2 marathons and 5 k runs up until about 5 years ago. I am trying to get set up with an MRI next week to find out if my back has gotten worse. I am in the middle of a back flare up and am resting in a recliner at the moment. Sigh. I will be happy when we have our glorified bodies and will have no pain or suffering.

I wish I could walk 100 steps without any pain! I am 53, retired and I have two bulging and two herniated disks in my lower back. I have always been so active and enjoy working in the yard, doing home projects, and I used to run 1/2 marathons and 5 k runs up until about 5 years ago. I am trying to get set up with an MRI next week to find out if my back has gotten worse. I am in the middle of a back flare up and am resting in a recliner at the moment. Sigh. I will be happy when we have our glorified bodies and will have no pain or suffering.
    fl2007rn,
    I am so sorry! What happened with the MRI? I really hope you can get some relief. Wishing you the best...let us know.

Diane
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by poc4dw View Post
    fl2007rn,
    I am so sorry! What happened with the MRI? I really hope you can get some relief. Wishing you the best...let us know.

Diane
    Thank you for asking, and I am much better now after laying in bed for a week! I get my MRI next Wednesday so I am sure it will show Degenerative Disk Disease like it always does. Just one of the pleasures of getting older. :-)

Thank you for asking, and I am much better now after laying in bed for a week! I get my MRI next Wednesday so I am sure it will show Degenerative Disk Disease like it always does. Just one of the pleasures of getting older. :-)
    Awww, I'm sorry! My hubby suffers from that as well. It's hard!

We didn't go the surgery route because it sounded worse than the disease. We might be wrong, but it doesn't cause as many problems as it used to.

Diane
    Diane

Can anyone tell me how many steps it would be when walking a brisk pace of 30 minutes? My blood pressure has been elevated and my Doctor told me to get out and walk now that my back isn't thrown out anymore. I walked 30 minutes this morning and plan to walk every day. Thanks!

You'll probably walk between three to four thousand steps during those thirty minutes.
    My blood pressure has been elevated and my Doctor told me to get out and walk now that my back isn't thrown out anymore.
    That's too bad about the blood pressure, but great news about your back. Happy walking!

Diane
    Diane