Thread: What's wrong with seeker-sensitive churchs?

Question What's wrong with seeker-sensitive churchs?

My church, Crossroads Church, is a megachurch and is very seeker-sensitive. I read a good portion of the seeker-sensitive thread, but I don't see why they would be apostate. Crossroads doesn't seem dead yet. The only thing I hated that they did was offer cake and champange for Communion during Easter service. So, can anyone tell me why seeker-sensitive churchs are apostate?
    "And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
    -Joel 2: 30-32a

Quote Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
    My church, Crossroads Church, is a megachurch and is very seeker-sensitive. I read a good portion of the seeker-sensitive thread, but I don't see why they would be apostate. Crossroads doesn't seem dead yet. The only thing I hated that they did was offer cake and champange for Communion during Easter service. So, can anyone tell me why seeker-sensitive churchs are apostate?
    The word, power, and sovereignty of God is offensive to those who are perishing. The apostasy of the seeker sensitive movement is described in its very name. It tries to be more sensitive to the "seeker" aka sinner. It waters down doctrine so as to not be "offensive" to sinners. In so doing it omits, perverts, or pollutes the gospel by which all must be saved. Instead of focusing on Christ, the depravity of man, and the sinner's need for a savior, it focuses on the seeker (sinner) and the seeker's (sinner's) desire for acceptance, experience, or entertainment. In many cases the seeker senstitive movement will even refuse to call a sinner a sinner, instead using terms like "pre-christian" or "under-churched" so that people never have to face their sin and repent. It is hollow words that tickle the ears yet leave people enslaved to sin.

As Jesus said of the scribes and Pharisees, I also believe it applies to many churches today: "As it is written: These people honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. And in vain do they worship me, teaching doctrines and precepts of men" and leaving the commandment of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    The word, power, and sovereignty of God is offensive to those who are perishing. The apostasy of the seeker sensitive movement is described in its very name. It tries to be more sensitive to the "seeker" aka sinner. It waters down doctrine so as to not be "offensive" to sinners. In so doing it omits, perverts, or pollutes the gospel by which all must be saved. Instead of focusing on Christ, the depravity of man, and the sinner's need for a savior, it focuses on the seeker (sinner) and the seeker's (sinner's) desire for acceptance, experience, or entertainment. In many cases the seeker sensitive movement will even refuse to call a sinner a sinner, instead using terms like "pre-christian" or "under-churched" so that people never have to face their sin and repent. It is hollow words that tickle the ears yet leave people enslaved to sin.

As Jesus said of the scribes and Pharisees, I also believe it applies to many churches today: "As it is written: These people honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. And in vain do they worship me, teaching doctrines and precepts of men" and leaving the commandment of God.
    Right on!!

-Lynn

The word, power, and sovereignty of God is offensive to those who are perishing. The apostasy of the seeker sensitive movement is described in its very name. It tries to be more sensitive to the "seeker" aka sinner. It waters down doctrine so as to not be "offensive" to sinners. In so doing it omits, perverts, or pollutes the gospel by which all must be saved. Instead of focusing on Christ, the depravity of man, and the sinner's need for a savior, it focuses on the seeker (sinner) and the seeker's (sinner's) desire for acceptance, experience, or entertainment. In many cases the seeker senstitive movement will even refuse to call a sinner a sinner, instead using terms like "pre-christian" or "under-churched" so that people never have to face their sin and repent. It is hollow words that tickle the ears yet leave people enslaved to sin.

Great response!
    We were in a seeker-friendly church for years, and much of what you said, we experienced. I doubt if the words sin or sinner, or repentance, were ever mentioned.
    In the church we now attend, we are reminded every week that we are sinners saved by grace...I would hazard a guess that our numbers decreased primarily because of the new pastor's diligence in teaching the truth of the Word.
    I have a friend that listened to one of the messages I put on CD for her. She is born again, but was very uncomfortable hearing the pastor's references to believers being sinners. She knows it is true, but didn't like hearing it...

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Quote Originally Posted by Momma D View Post
    Great response!
    We were in a seeker-friendly church for years, and much of what you said, we experienced. I doubt if the words sin or sinner, or repentance, were ever mentioned.
    In the church we now attend, we are reminded every week that we are sinners saved by grace...I would hazard a guess that our numbers decreased primarily because of the new pastor's diligence in teaching the truth of the Word.
    I have a friend that listened to one of the messages I put on CD for her. She is born again, but was very uncomfortable hearing the pastor's references to believers being sinners. She knows it is true, but didn't like hearing it...
    The old seeker sensitive church attended (Roger was spot on) I can say in all honesty I NEVER heard the Gospel preached once.

Yes they said Jesus is Our Savior.

They would say a thank you Jesus prayer.

They would even say if you haven't accepted Christ etc etc.

But never the Gospel Gospel. No we are sinners. No blood atonement. No Christ is God in the flesh. I'm confident if I had asked many attendees who went there where the Gospel is in scripture ( 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) many would have no clue.

I love my new pastor in the same aspect you do. He always welcomes all the imperfect people and always ties in WHY we need Christ and WHAT He did!! But he never shys away from calling sin sin. We have a member who struggles with homosexuality. That was an issue our pastor took head on. The man knows it's a sin, he doesn't practice it but struggles with the flesh. He's come a long way with Christ because of the pastors willingness to stick by scripture (which was something this man never had before at any church).
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

This was excellently put!!! Thank you so much!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

One of the biggest problems I've seen with not just the seeker-sensitive churches, but other churches like them, is the absolute refusal to preach on subjects like hell, the rapture, and sin. These are crucial. This may be off-topic, but often these churches are also insensitive to the moving of the Holy Spirit. Services are tightly controlled by men (and women) instead of the Lord.
    How angry He must be at these apostate churches!
    love in Christ Jesus & prayers,
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!