Thread: Rcc family gatherings

Default Rcc family gatherings

Hello all,

I am not Rcc but my wife is. I am a believer in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. We live with her widowed mother because of my wife's health issues and other things that were happening while living in Louisiana. We just went through several "family" get togethers which all were mainly of the catholic faith which is common in these parts of Pennsylvania. I have always noticed that during these gatherings there is always gossiping, swearing, gambling and drinking alcohol. My fear is that my wife is not saved and every time I try and witness to her or show her errors or heresies in her Catholic upbringing I am the wicked person. I'm not perfect and know that I need Jesus Christ daily and try and love her unconditionally but it is hard to see her continue in being deceived and trying to raise our children in a religious system that has done nothing to show her how to seek the truth as well as to live a life pleasing and glorifying God. I've got a battle ahead of me and just would like to know if I could get prayers for myself, my wife and our children and her mother and siblings. Thank you and God Bless. MARANATHA cone Lord Jesus!!

were you saved before you two got married? I'm assuming she was a Catholic before you wed.

RCC conversions are tricky. But I wouldn't attack her on any and every avenue you can (i.e gambling, drinking swearing and the likes) and stick with not being apart of the unbiblical RCC practices (statues of mary, rosary and the sorts).

All the RCC converts I know don't do it with force. They've had friends who would chip away at their false doctrine but never get into long debates or arguments then their friend would smile and continue on with their day. That tended to seem to go far to the ex-RCC members.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post

were you saved before you two got married? I'm assuming she was a Catholic before you wed.

RCC conversions are tricky. But I wouldn't attack her on any and every avenue you can (i.e gambling, drinking swearing and the likes) and stick with not being apart of the unbiblical RCC practices (statues of mary, rosary and the sorts).

All the RCC converts I know don't do it with force. They've had friends who would chip away at their false doctrine but never get into long debates or arguments then their friend would smile and continue on with their day. That tended to seem to go far to the ex-RCC members.
    I agree with you BorrowedTime about focusing on the unbiblical RCC practices like praying to Mary, rosary beads, praying to the various Catholic saints, etc.

Praying for your wife and family Piccolobl.

I have a little different perspective, in that when I was Catholic it was not fruitful to criticize Catholicism. What reached me was approaching me on the common ground of Jesus, and educating me on the things He actually said. I already knew Jesus was the Son of God, and that the Bible was true, though I only knew the Bible from what was taught from the pulpit. But the huge crucifix of Jesus was always there in the front of the church, making me think.

So, when believers started sharing with me that Jesus said I must be born again, and that I could know I was saved, I embraced Him wholeheartedly! Once I was born again, it was the Holy Spirit's job to slowly lead me out of Catholicism. No person had to convince me of that.

I therefore think it is much more fruitful to lead Catholics TOWARD Jesus, getting to know Him more fully, than worrying about leading them AWAY from Catholicism. At least that's what helped me!

I find this thread especially interesting. Thanks for bringing up this topic and for those who've given advice. I am currently a caregiver for my 84 year old mother-in-law. She has always been and still is, a devout Catholic. When she moved into our home two months ago (due to a scary fall and the diagnosis of moderate dementia), her daughter sent boxes of her belongings from her previous apartment. I had emptied a room and decorated it for her and put as many of her keepsakes, etc. around as possible so it would seem familiar. It seemed like every box had at least one statue of Mary, 2 or 3 crucifixes, bottles of "holy water", and even a "blessed" picture of the shroud of Turin... I was concerned I might find mummified remains of some "saint". I felt very convicted bringing these idols into my home. Unfortunately, due to his Catholic upbringing, my husband is an agnostic or even atheistic in his beliefs. He doesn't see any problem as long as all this stuff makes her happy.... With the dementia speeding along very quickly, I am unsure how much she can even understand of what I tell her. I read my Bible in front of her and she says it's a book she has never read. The priests taught what she needed to know... I have quoted some verses when she makes comments about being good enough for Heaven etc...I had a mild crisis when the rosary beads she carries around in her robe pocket broke and she was frantic for me to fix them and they MUST be in groups of 10... I am certain she looks down on my faith and thinks only "Mother church" can save someone. I am praying daily for continued guidance and looking forward to any more words of wisdom from you all. Thank you for reading and sorry if I derailed this thread a little.
    Please pray for my unsaved loved-ones. Time is short.

My inlaws are catholic.

My husband had a lot of arguments with his mother over her, over nobody, being "good enough" for heaven. She wouldn't hear it.

Of course, as some know, the "good catholics" all disowned him when I refused to put him in a nursing home after his accident. So they are out of our lives, I pray for them daily (we tried to patch it up but they weren't having it). Hopefully others can witness to her (FIL died last year) and get her saved.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Accepted View Post
    I have a little different perspective, in that when I was Catholic it was not fruitful to criticize Catholicism. What reached me was approaching me on the common ground of Jesus, and educating me on the things He actually said. I already knew Jesus was the Son of God, and that the Bible was true, though I only knew the Bible from what was taught from the pulpit. But the huge crucifix of Jesus was always there in the front of the church, making me think.

So, when believers started sharing with me that Jesus said I must be born again, and that I could know I was saved, I embraced Him wholeheartedly! Once I was born again, it was the Holy Spirit's job to slowly lead me out of Catholicism. No person had to convince me of that.

I therefore think it is much more fruitful to lead Catholics TOWARD Jesus, getting to know Him more fully, than worrying about leading them AWAY from Catholicism. At least that's what helped me!
    This is great advice, it reminds me of Paul at Mars Hill.

Default Thank you all

Thank you all for your advice. I am praying and fasting that the Lord will help me to be an example of Him before my wife. Today I found out my wife had a meeting with "father" Monty about her be coming a eucharist minister once a month. I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to work in my wife removing the spiritual blindness and scales from her eyes. It's a hard battle because we live with her mom and the community is very catholic. I am working with our children to try and counter what they may be taught when they go to my wife's church. I go to a Bible based church and my pastor knows our situation, ours because we are married. Pray that Julie my wife and her mother and other siblings will know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Thank you all for fighting this spiritual battle with me. May God receive the Glory! God Bless, stay watching and keep looking up!

I agree with accepted, when I got saved by Jesus after I was in the occult, I became catholic. Then through thorough prayer, for truth, I found gotquestions.org and the rest was history.

Quote Originally Posted by grace-saved View Post
    I find this thread especially interesting. Thanks for bringing up this topic and for those who've given advice. I am currently a caregiver for my 84 year old mother-in-law. She has always been and still is, a devout Catholic. When she moved into our home two months ago (due to a scary fall and the diagnosis of moderate dementia), her daughter sent boxes of her belongings from her previous apartment. I had emptied a room and decorated it for her and put as many of her keepsakes, etc. around as possible so it would seem familiar. It seemed like every box had at least one statue of Mary, 2 or 3 crucifixes, bottles of "holy water", and even a "blessed" picture of the shroud of Turin... I was concerned I might find mummified remains of some "saint". I felt very convicted bringing these idols into my home. Unfortunately, due to his Catholic upbringing, my husband is an agnostic or even atheistic in his beliefs. He doesn't see any problem as long as all this stuff makes her happy.... With the dementia speeding along very quickly, I am unsure how much she can even understand of what I tell her. I read my Bible in front of her and she says it's a book she has never read. The priests taught what she needed to know... I have quoted some verses when she makes comments about being good enough for Heaven etc...I had a mild crisis when the rosary beads she carries around in her robe pocket broke and she was frantic for me to fix them and they MUST be in groups of 10... I am certain she looks down on my faith and thinks only "Mother church" can save someone. I am praying daily for continued guidance and looking forward to any more words of wisdom from you all. Thank you for reading and sorry if I derailed this thread a little.

I will pray for you and her. I know it seems hopeless at her age and condition. I also know that you know God can do anything. So, in faith, trust Him to bring her to a saving knowledge of Him before she dies. Ask him for the right words to use whenever you speak to her. Just trust and obey - and believe. Then you will have peace.

as far as the idols go, you are not responsible for them being there. Christ is the head of the man and the man is the head of his wife.

also, I will lift up your husband. Mine just believed recently after 26 years of prayer. Praise God! Now we actually pray together. What a wonderful thing. Also, I used to be Catholic and have nine siblings. Of which only four have come away so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Live! View Post
    I will pray for you and her. I know it seems hopeless at her age and condition. I also know that you know God can do anything. So, in faith, trust Him to bring her to a saving knowledge of Him before she dies. Ask him for the right words to use whenever you speak to her. Just trust and obey - and believe. Then you will have peace.

as far as the idols go, you are not responsible for them being there. Christ is the head of the man and the man is the head of his wife.

also, I will lift up your husband. Mine just believed recently after 26 years of prayer. Praise God! Now we actually pray together. What a wonderful thing. Also, I used to be Catholic and have nine siblings. Of which only four have come away so far.
    Thank you so very much for the prayers and encouraging advice. So wonderful to hear of your husband coming to Jesus! I have been praying for and dreaming of praying with my husband for many years. I won't ever stop. (Well, until the rapture...)
    Please pray for my unsaved loved-ones. Time is short.