Thread: Holy Communion bread cannot be gluten-free, Vatican says

Default Holy Communion bread cannot be gluten-free, Vatican says

The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

From the above link:
    “Hosts that are completely gluten-free are invalid matter for the celebration of the Eucharist,” Cardinal Robert Sarah said in a letter to bishops last month and made public on Saturday.

Bread and wafers used in the celebration of the Eucharist “must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition,” Sarah said in the letter.
    Apparently, the Pope or Cardinal knows more about Passover than the Jews. [/Sarcasm]

If he wants to be legalistic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo
    Matzo that is kosher for Passover is limited in Ashkenazi tradition to plain matzo made from flour and water. The flour may be whole grain or refined grain, but must be either wheat, spelt, barley, rye, or oat. Sephardic tradition also allows eggs to be used.

Passover and non-Passover matzo may be soft or crisp, but only the crisp "cracker" type is available commercially in most locations. Soft matzo, if it were commercially available, would essentially be a kosher flour tortilla.

Non-Passover matzo may be made with onion, garlic, poppy seed, etc. It can even be made from rice, maize, buckwheat and other non-traditional flours that can never be used for Passover matzo.
    Now, I am not familiar with spelt, and don't know if oat bread is gluten free,
    but bread made from something other than wheat is legal.

I recommend Matzo and Wine for what most of us call "The Lord's Supper"
    but I won't say that a biscuit and Welche's is wrong.

If you partake of the Lord's Supper in earnestness and good conscience,
    in remembrance of what He did for us, no one should judge you.
    (reference 1 Cor 11)

Years ago I was attending Catholic church services to try and lead family members closer to God while I myself was also seeking God. There was a big concern about flu that year. News hype about wearing masks in public, etc. In the Catholic mass, drinking the wine is done from a common cup (challis), with someone holding it wiping it with a cloth and turning it in between people. Some people started skipping the wine, and, if memory serves, the Pope at the time came out and said that people should not skip the wine. Didn't seem like a very loving thing for a pope to say to frightened people.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Years ago I was attending Catholic church services to try and lead family members closer to God while I myself was also seeking God. There was a big concern about flu that year. News hype about wearing masks in public, etc. In the Catholic mass, drinking the wine is done from a common cup (challis), with someone holding it wiping it with a cloth and turning it in between people. Some people started skipping the wine, and, if memory serves, the Pope at the time came out and said that people should not skip the wine. Didn't seem like a very loving thing for a pope to say to frightened people.
    Depending on the type of challis (copper and silver kill germs), and the alcohol concentration in the wine, it may have been just as safe as sitting in the sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    (copper and silver kill germs)
    I did not know that. Suddenly I miss having a pocketful of change.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    I did not know that. Suddenly I miss having a pocketful of change.
    Unfortunately, there is no silver in our coinage, and very little copper (5% ?) in pennies.

Until The Vatican starts to prosecute and not protect pedophile priests, I care very little what they think.
    My Rapture/Left Behind Message

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Until The Vatican starts to prosecute and not protect pedophile priests, I care very little what they think.
    Agree! The Catholics also teach people to pray to Mary and other Saints, and this is clearly against the Bible. My husband and I visited Rome a few years ago and went on a tour of the Vatican. All I could think is that Jesus would have disapproved of the Vatican, and might have turned over tables like he did in the Temple.