What Anchor Do You Carry?
By: Maxine M.

A boat will simply drift with the tide if there’s no anchor to hold it fast
An anchor will allow the boat to bob up & down, but the uncertainty won’t last
Because the anchor is a guarantee of security, even when the storm is vast

God knew, in every generation, there’d be storms, as He knows all that lay ahead
So He used certain chosen people to write down anchors which, by everyone, can be read
Words that can answer our questions and help us faithfully follow what He has said

His words are what we can cling to…strong hope in our darkest hour
While your personal storms rage, the wisdom of those words empower
They are a lifeline to grasp, Satan’s words of fear & anxiety devour

Life can often seem bleak, the way ahead uncertain, what on earth should I do
Where can I turn; like that un-anchored boat drifting along, options are few
But the Lord suddenly reminds you, “I’ll NEVER leave you, NEVER forsake you”

His words are an anchor we hold onto during a storm, those rough patches life may amass
It gives you a new perspective, realizing “This too shall pass”
His promise is not to remove the storm, but with you He’ll walk THROUGH the trouble, our faith surpass

When you lose a loved one, His words are the BEST comfort to which we can turn
In 1 Peter 5:7 He promises that on Him you can CAST every thought & concern
An anchor for moving forward, as more & more of His endless love & mercy you learn

We can confidently rely on the anchor that He won’t give you more than your spirit can bear
Any type of loss wasn’t done for punishment or, on His part, a lack of love & care
There’s a PURPOSE which will later be revealed, one day the SUPERIORITY of His will He’ll share

Are you frightened as advancing years accumulate, worried how you’ll be able to cope?
But the Lord says in Jeremiah 29:11 “I know the plans I have for you, plans to give peace and an assured hope”
A reliable anchor, promised by God, a strong & enduring invisible rope

In the solitude of watching sheep, God gave David words to quiet his soul
Psalms he used later when his trouble hit, words he needed to keep body & mind whole
REMEMBERING how the Almighty had kept & protected him; how living in His presence was the ultimate goal

Paul had a “thorn in the flesh” from which he asked 3 times to be relieved
But was told by the Lord “My Grace is sufficient for you”, an instant anchor conceived
Something to hold onto and it’s still available to all who have believed

In our confusing world many are speaking, but we wonder, is this truth or lies?
We’re tossed about, undecided as to whom we should trust, and we question why
But we can recall the promise “You shall KNOW the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall set you free” Jesus would cry

You’ve settled into a comfortable life, the years ahead safely look more of the same
Then evidence is found of a spouse cheating, the NORMAL now full of shame
The storm has arrived; will the anchor of His word, the feelings of betrayal, tame?

To God’s promise that our sins will be forgiven, IF we forgive others, tightly hold
We can be ANCHORED in the fact that He can restore, peace can again unfold
Love can be reunited, the fire of love restarted, in spite of thinking it’s grown totally cold

In accepting by faith that Jesus’ sacrifice will provide Salvation to all who believe
His death and resurrection supplies an eternal anchor for life, a guarantee we all can receive
It gives a soothing balm to heal our hurts, repairs hearts that are for whatever reason grieved

So it’s inevitable that storms will come, only the intensity will vary
But before trouble comes, you must decide what anchor will you carry
Which of the many promises given in His word will you deep in your heart bury

Those that you daily rely on, trust the Lord is always there beside you
Guiding you on your way through life, moving towards eternal life where everything’s made new
The promises all fulfilled, those anchor verses you clung to now true