Thread: is this t-shirt blasphemous?

Question is this t-shirt blasphemous?

Hi brothers and sisters in Christ

the other day this t-shirt popped up on my facebook page and I really liked the idea of the design.
    but after I ordered myself one, I read a comment that said 'this mocks Jesus' and I replied to the person that I didn't think it did.

this is the t-shirt https://images.sunfrogshirts.com/201...w92_-front.jpg

thinking about it a bit more I can see how some Christians may see it as blasphemous.
    an example for that would be 'our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ doesn't belong with fictional characters'
    but my first reaction was one of surprise, I'm a Marvel fan, many people look up to Iron Man & Captain America as "heroes".
    after seeing someone post to the person who designs Christian t-shirts "Your latest promo T.shirt is Blasphemous and Disgraceful. Clearly your god is money."
    I replied to them with this "if you are referring to the one with the Avengers, I would respectfully disagree. I've been wearing Jesus/Christian t-shirts since 2007 and I wouldn't of ordered this shirt if I thought it was blasphemous. though Jesus is depicted like a Marvel character, he is the only one who is real. there are so many people in this world who worship Marvel characters like Thor & Iron Man that putting the real King of Kings & Lord of Lords amongst them gives me an opportunity to say 'you may like your Marvel heroes but there is only 1 that truly saves and he is real and he is alive!'. God Bless."

I would love to know what my RR brothers & sisters think. the t-shirt is already ordered, so I can't change that.
    but I would like other input on what impact this shirt could have on my witnessing for Christ. I saw it as an opportunity t-shirt.
    that it would grab someones eye as they would think it was a Marvel shirt, but then it's not. then if I am asked why Jesus is there.
    I can tell them. all of the Avengers seem to be looking at Jesus and saying 'wow, we could never do that'. Jesus Christ is real, he is beyond a hero.
    he is the King of Kings & Lord of Lords that's how I first viewed this t-shirt. but seeing 2 other people post otherwise has me wondering a bit
    am I lacking discernment on this one??

thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "without Jesus my life on earth would be like listening to a neverending Fleetwood Mac song" BB

I had seen that illustration shown on Facebook. I have Christian friends who are Marvel fans, and they really liked it. I did not find it offensive. I think many people see them as real characters and heroes, probably due to the movies. I've not seen any of the movies as they aren't the kind of movies I tend to go see. Each hero tries to save the world in their own way, but obviously Jesus is the real answer. I could see where it might cause people to look twice and either understand or maybe prompt a conversation.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing4 View Post
    I had seen that illustration shown on Facebook. I have Christian friends who are Marvel fans, and they really liked it. I did not find it offensive. I think many people see them as real characters and heroes, probably due to the movies. I've not seen any of the movies as they aren't the kind of movies I tend to go see. Each hero tries to save the world in their own way, but obviously Jesus is the real answer. I could see where it might cause people to look twice and either understand or maybe prompt a conversation.
    Hi Wishing4,

thank you for your response. so you had it pop up in your facebook feed as well, interesting.
    I've seen most of the Marvel movies, the reason I have no problem with them is that there usually is no blasphemy in them.
    I can't think of one that does say Jesus's name in vain... if there is it's gotten under my radar. I really love 'Guardians of the Galaxy' the first film
    and VOL. 2, no blasphemy in them. as I belong to Jesus, I know these films are fiction and a bit of fun but to those who don't belong to Christ... some of the characters
    are really looked up to. this shirt imo puts the idea that the Avengers and any other Marvel character being heroes... they just don't cut it.
    "without Jesus my life on earth would be like listening to a neverending Fleetwood Mac song" BB

I like it. Jesus as the superheroes' Superhero.

I like that the "I" in His statement is larger, it implies that His way was different.

And they are looking thoughtfully at Him, not mockingly.

My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBunny View Post
    Hi Wishing4,

thank you for your response. so you had it pop up in your facebook feed as well, interesting.
    I've seen most of the Marvel movies, the reason I have no problem with them is that there usually is no blasphemy in them.
    I can't think of one that does say Jesus's name in vain... if there is it's gotten under my radar. I really love 'Guardians of the Galaxy' the first film
    and VOL. 2, no blasphemy in them. as I belong to Jesus, I know these films are fiction and a bit of fun but to those who don't belong to Christ... some of the characters
    are really looked up to. this shirt imo puts the idea that the Avengers and any other Marvel character being heroes... they just don't cut it.
    Hey Bigbunny,

Most of the issues I have now a days with Marvel (once Disney got em) is how they over emphasize a lot. They always had aliens and stuff but all the movies now are constant alien reference I.e the vultures suit in the new Spider-Man movie is made from alien tech as opposed to the books he was just a engineer. There's a lot of things going on that are just moving sheeple into a great deception and with genetic manipulation moving into the spotlight these days people will seek after that.

As far as the shirt goes, it could be a great conversation piece!! So that's a plus. I don't see it as flat out blasphemy but I can see where some may take offense. But then it becomes a pick and choose battle so anyone who is up in arms about a t shirt should look more into flat out henious acts in today's society i.e. Abortions and gay marriage and the new gender fluidity movement.

So is it blasphemy? I'll say no and let Jesus correct me through the Spirit or when I see Him.

Is it offensive? Possibly.

Should this be a grab the pitch forks thing? Not even close

Will I buy one? Yup!
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    I like it. Jesus as the superheroes' Superhero.

I like that the "I" in His statement is larger, it implies that His way was different.

And they are looking thoughtfully at Him, not mockingly.

My 2 cents...

Hi pixelpusher,

the bit I put in bold. I got the same impression, the Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man & Thor (who is a mythical Norse god)
    are all looking at Jesus like 'wow, you did that? we couldn't'. I thought it puts what Jesus did in comparison to these fictional
    "heroes"... I think it highlights how great our Lord & Savious is, that no one we can come up with can compare.

I appreciate your 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    Hey Bigbunny,

Most of the issues I have now a days with Marvel (once Disney got em) is how they over emphasize a lot. They always had aliens and stuff but all the movies now are constant alien reference I.e the vultures suit in the new Spider-Man movie is made from alien tech as opposed to the books he was just a engineer. There's a lot of things going on that are just moving sheeple into a great deception and with genetic manipulation moving into the spotlight these days people will seek after that.

As far as the shirt goes, it could be a great conversation piece!! So that's a plus. I don't see it as flat out blasphemy but I can see where some may take offense. But then it becomes a pick and choose battle so anyone who is up in arms about a t shirt should look more into flat out henious acts in today's society i.e. Abortions and gay marriage and the new gender fluidity movement.

So is it blasphemy? I'll say no and let Jesus correct me through the Spirit or when I see Him.

Is it offensive? Possibly.

Should this be a grab the pitch forks thing? Not even close

Will I buy one? Yup!
    Hi BorrowedTime,

I haven't seen the latest Spidey film, my brother has and he liked it. I know what you mean about aliens being in Marvel films but they are in many films now.
    we have a whole bunch of zombie films and vampire based films... and the vampires can sometimes be the good guys
    you posted about genetic manipulation, that's in many sci-fi films. the other night I watched 'Ghost In The Shell' as my brother wanted to watch it.
    the great thing was, no blasphemy but it touches on the subject of us becoming less human and allowing ourselves to be updated via technology that is apart of our bodies.
    the movie was a real trip visually but I could see that so many serious lines in real life are being crossed, things once sacred like a person can be used for body parts

I really appreciate your reply
    Last edited by BigBunny; August 7th, 2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added another reply

Hi BorrowedTime,

I haven't seen the latest Spidey film, my brother has and he liked it. I know what you mean about aliens being in Marvel films but they are in many films now.
    we have a whole bunch of zombie films and vampire based films... and the vampires can sometimes be the good guys
    you posted about genetic manipulation, that's in many sci-fi films. the other night I watched 'Ghost In The Shell' as my brother wanted to watch it.
    the great thing was, no blasphemy but it touches on the subject of us becoming less human and allowing ourselves to be updated via technology that is apart of our bodies.
    the movie was a real trip visually but I could see that so many serious lines in real life are being crossed, things once sacred like a person can be used for body parts

I really appreciate your reply
    Ghost in the shell was an anime I followed closely when I was younger. I had always liked the drawing and the old story was awesome. It actually mainly used to focus on how bad things got once people allowed themselves to be cybornized. I.e. Getting hacked and all the sorts. So trans humanism wasn't glorified.

Then this new one comes out and transhumanism is glorified. :slap

So you at least see lies are being blurred badly.

It's the lost that worries me.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Ghost in the shell was an anime I followed closely when I was younger. I had always liked the drawing and the old story was awesome. It actually mainly used to focus on how bad things got once people allowed themselves to be cybornized. I.e. Getting hacked and all the sorts. So trans humanism wasn't glorified.

Then this new one comes out and transhumanism is glorified. :slap

So you at least see lies are being blurred badly.

It's the lost that worries me.
    I haven't seen the Anime film but I'm not sure if this film glorified it that much. the main character Major, what happened to her when she was a human was beyond criminal.
    there's another character who wants to bring the whole system down as it leaves him as a rejected... I don't know what you'd call him
    but yeah, I can see past any lies in most films as I belong to Jesus Christ and I also try to be careful what I watch.
    how anyone can think having an advanced robotic body is better than the one God has given us is beyond me

I haven't seen the Anime film but I'm not sure if this film glorified it that much. the main character Major, what happened to her when she was a human was beyond criminal.
    there's another character who wants to bring the whole system down as it leaves him as a rejected... I don't know what you'd call him
    but yeah, I can see past any lies in most films as I belong to Jesus Christ and I also try to be careful what I watch.
    how anyone can think having an advanced robotic body is better than the one God has given us is beyond me
    The film was a hybrid of two seperate villains. The puppet master (who wanted to control everyone by hacking into them) and the laughing man (someone who was trying to tear down big time corporations).

Either way. Don't mean to derail.

The film was a hybrid of two seperate villains. The puppet master (who wanted to control everyone by hacking into them) and the laughing man (someone who was trying to tear down big time corporations).

Either way. Don't mean to derail.
    why do they do that with films? merge stories, characters that are in books/comics.

why do they do that with films? merge stories, characters that are in books/comics.
    Not sure. Honestly the original GITS movie with the puppet master was a great when talking to people about transhumanism and RFID chips. Even my unsaved wife can see the dangers in allowing programs into your body sense if it can be programmed it can be rewritten and if it's hooked up to the internet then everyone has access. Puppet master was actually an out of control AI system which today is more prevalent with the DWave super computer in CERN. In that arc the PM actually implants the memory of Major being forced into the military service (which later was revealed as a lie with Bato being the one who keeps her grounded)

I like the shirt! I think it's a great way to witness to kiddos (and adults who are into superheroes.) I think the world has gotten outta hand with superheroes and there's nothing wrong with saying, "hey, Jesus is the only One who can do miracles, move mountains, and heal the sick."

I do think it's wise though to seek the Lord's approval concerning the things we wear...especially shirts that resemble a billboard.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the T-shirt. It is no different then at Christmas time I hear the phrase, "Jesus is the reason for the season", since people cleave onto gifts and Santa Clause during that holiday. Anything that gets the word out that "Jesus is our Lord and Savior" is ok in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalie View Post
    I like the shirt! I think it's a great way to witness to kiddos (and adults who are into superheroes.) I think the world has gotten outta hand with superheroes and there's nothing wrong with saying, "hey, Jesus is the only One who can do miracles, move mountains, and heal the sick."

I do think it's wise though to seek the Lord's approval concerning the things we wear...especially shirts that resemble a billboard.
    thank you for your reply Koalie, everyone who has posted has been of great help to me I was worried that my discernment was off.
    the reason I liked the shirt is what you stated
    the world has gotten outta hand with superheroes
    I really dig some of the Marvel characters, some of them are really fun. for me Guardians Of The Galaxy is my favourite "I AM GROOT"

Quote Originally Posted by fl2007rn View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the T-shirt. It is no different then at Christmas time I hear the phrase, "Jesus is the reason for the season", since people cleave onto gifts and Santa Clause during that holiday. Anything that gets the word out that "Jesus is our Lord and Savior" is ok in my book.
    the bit in bold, that's how I saw it. our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ is greater than any imagined super hero that our mind can come up with.
    there are so many Marvel films now and they have such a following, I thought it would grab a Marvel fans attention.
    thank you for your reply
    Last edited by BigBunny; August 9th, 2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added a reply