Thread: Jews fleeing on the Sabbath - with permission

Default Jews fleeing on the Sabbath - with permission

So I just read an article about the Hurricane Irma, and the danger to the people of Florida, and how they are being urged to evacuate. Evidently, this evacuation will happen on a Sabbath, so for strict Jews, that poses a problem.

This reminds me of the Bible verse that reads "Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.". That is from Matthew 24:20. I don't think this event is fulfilling this Bible verse, but it is interesting that the Jewish people are looking to their Rabbi to authorize the evacuation on a Sabbath. A foreshadowing of how religious the Jews will be in the future when this prophecy is fulfilled?

The rabbi was essentially making a Halachic (Torah law) judgement that since he considered the danger to be real, Jews are permitted to desecrate the Sabbath in order to evacuate the region.
    Source:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/9...-approaches/#/
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So I just read an article about the Hurricane Irma, and the danger to the people of Florida, and how they are being urged to evacuate. Evidently, this evacuation will happen on a Sabbath, so for strict Jews, that poses a problem.

This reminds me of the Bible verse that reads "Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.". That is from Matthew 24:20. I don't think this event is fulfilling this Bible verse, but it is interesting that the Jewish people are looking to their Rabbi to authorize the evacuation on a Sabbath. A foreshadowing of how religious the Jews will be in the future when this prophecy is fulfilled?

Source:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/9...-approaches/#/
    Very interesting. I find myself praying sometimes that the Jews' flight not be in the winter or on the Sabbath, perhaps the Spirit working in me as I ponder that verse. How easily will they know to pray for this, I wonder? Perhaps the Spirit does tell some of us to pray for them.

It also reminds me of how Jesus chastised the Pharisees about their many rules and says "Which of you will not rescue an ox from a ditch on the Sabbath," or similar wording.

the Sabbath was made to help man, not man for the Sabbath. It seems like it'd be a no-brainer that they could flee, as the Rabbi says, since the thread it so real.

Of course, I'm looking at it fromt he perspective of a saved person - who in fact was pretty legalist in my mind when i was little, so very well-behaved but always sensing there had to be something more, sort of like Nicodemus.
    John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.