Thread: New Movie: Let There Be Light - has anyone seen it?

Default New Movie: Let There Be Light - has anyone seen it?

A new movie called "Let There Be Light" came out in theaters two days ago. I saw it, and I am wondering if anyone else saw it?

The previews ahead of it were bothersome. One preview was for a Disney kids movie, "Coco", about some kid who goes into the 'land of the dead and has fun there'. I closed my eyes once I started seeing cartoon images making light of death.

Another one was a movie about how the author of the story of "Scrooge" lived and wrote it. It looked interesting, until the name of the movie was something like, "the man who invented Christmas"...no, the author of Scrooge did not invent Christmas. But I am pretty literal, so that might not bother most people.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

What did you think of "Let There be Light"? It doesn't appear to be coming to my theatre.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A new movie called "Let There Be Light" came out in theaters two days ago. I saw it, and I am wondering if anyone else saw it?

The previews ahead of it were bothersome. One preview was for a Disney kids movie, "Coco", about some kid who goes into the 'land of the dead and has fun there'. I closed my eyes once I started seeing cartoon images making light of death.

Another one was a movie about how the author of the story of "Scrooge" lived and wrote it. It looked interesting, until the name of the movie was something like, "the man who invented Christmas"...no, the author of Scrooge did not invent Christmas. But I am pretty literal, so that might not bother most people.
    Yes I think the word invented is a bit much, but Charles Dickens was responsible for the way and type of Christmas we all celebrate today largely, so rather he re-invented it as it had become an almost forgotten holiday by the Victorian era. There is conjecture among literaries that the story has some Christian roots too, for Dickens was a Christian by all accounts and spoke frequently on the Christian lifestyle in the mid 19th century. I believe he made several visits to US in 1860's and 70's as well and spoke of his work and religious beliefs there too.

On the subject of the movie you did see, can you elaborate a little more on its content and story-line a little more, for I haven't heard anything about it yet.

So far where I live I have not seen it listed in any of the movie theatres.

The storyline of "Let There Be Light" is a fictional account about a man who is an atheist, the world's most famous and successful atheist, and he is really mad at God over the death of his son. He is a drunk and has a near-death experience that results in him being confused about everything he has stood for.

I don't want to spoil it, so am going to stop there. The intent of the movie is for unbelievers to be able to relate to this atheist, and then because of the outcome of the movie, start or continue on their journey to become believers in Jesus Christ.

Because of some of my own past, the way the plot unfolded and the ending touched me emotionally and that is why I felt like it would be nice to see if anyone else has seen it.

Also, I am wondering if the movie goes too far in trying to piece together the events and things end up appearing a bit too contrived. Again, I don't want to say more so as not to spoil it for anyone who does watch it. I don't think this made it a bad movie, just wondering about other people's perspectives.

There are a few minor things I probably could debate from a biblical perspective, but I'm not sure if they are important and I don't want to get into the details and spoil the movie for others. Of course, there is the debate about near-death experiences and their validity that made me go 'hmmmm' at that scene.

It is also interesting that Sean Hannity is in the movie; he plays someone who is supportive of Christians.

I doubt we'll see it in theater but we typically buy Christian movies when they come out. I look forward to seeing this one.

I will wait until it comes to the store. Is this the Kevin Sorbo movie?

Quote Originally Posted by caligal View Post
    I will wait until it comes to the store. Is this the Kevin Sorbo movie?
    Yes, he and Sam Sorbo, his wife, are both in it, playing husband and wife.