Thread: Would you walk out of a service?

Default Would you walk out of a service?

If you attended a Sunday morning church service, and a woman got up to preach, would you quietly get out of your seat and leave?
    ~Becky

Absolutely. And never go back.

Yes ma'am! Wouldn't think twice about it either.

Yes, we follow scripture 1 Tim 3. This is not a men are better than women thing, it is an order of roles that the Creator of the Universe put in place. When in a gathering that is meant to honor Him, and worship Him, I think it important to follow His rules for the sanctity of that honor and worship.

I would leave quietly and not return. BTW this precedent is spreading in our geographical area also. We (as a church gathering of saints) are putting much effort into staying true to scripture. We are getting more and more crosswise with the culture of the day. But this should not surprise us, it is happening as He predicted. Stand fast to His ways, you are building treasure in heaven.
    "Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..."

This practice sure IS becoming common.

One church in our area has a husband and wife pastor team, and the wife preaches often and her title is "co-pastor". One church has a woman in their preaching rotation, and her title is "pastor" as well. Another has a woman "pastor" on staff, but I haven't visited there, so don't know if they let her preach often or not.

I live in a very liberal, non-Bible belt area, and am looking for a new church home because our very small church had to close when our pastor moved away. I just cannot seem to bring myself to sit under a woman's preaching.
    ~Becky

I agree it is becoming common. I do think at times God uses the women to reach those He wants to call closer to himself, but I am uncomfortable even listening to women teachers on the radio. I think the reason that makes sense to me is because the woman was deceived. So there must be something about women that make it easier for them to be deceived then for men to be deceived, in general.

However, there are women on the radio like Jan Markel and Sandy Rios, who are more talk-show hosts, I don't mind listening to them.

Also there have been single women missionaries who did wonderful things for God, and so I think there can be rare exceptions. But as a rule, it is best for the men to teach.

How about evangelism? I think it is ok for women to do that.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

I wasn't talking about evangelism or radio talk shows, or anything like that. I'm only wondering about having a woman preach to the congregation.

I think it's unbiblical, and if a church doesn't see that, what else do they let slip by?
    ~Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I wasn't talking about evangelism or radio talk shows, or anything like that. I'm only wondering about having a woman preach to the congregation.

I think it's unbiblical, and if a church doesn't see that, what else do they let slip by?
    Yes, I would leave. And I believe that is the only appropriate response for a Christian. I am all for women who are gifted in handling the Word, such as Amy Byrd. But the Bible is clear that the pulpit and the office of elder are to occupied by men only.
    Greg

If the male pastor screened their presentation and was on stage with them and it was a one off I have no issues.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    If the male pastor screened their presentation and was on stage with them and it was a one off I have no issues.
    At the church I'm talking about, there are two men who share the pastoring duties, and one woman. They preach on a rotation, and the woman is included in the regular rotation, so she preaches once a month or so.

The only problem is, they don't always stick to the schedule, so on any given Sunday, you could walk in and find that the woman is going to be preaching, even though it isn't her week.

I was talking with the pastor of the church once, and told him that I didn't want to sit under a woman's preaching, and his comment back to me was that "she's submissive to her husband", so I guess that makes it okay in his eyes. I would think her own husband would tell her she shouldn't be preaching, but, obviously, in this case, he doesn't.
    ~Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    At the church I'm talking about, there are two men who share the pastoring duties, and one woman. They preach on a rotation, and the woman is included in the regular rotation, so she preaches once a month or so.

The only problem is, they don't always stick to the schedule, so on any given Sunday, you could walk in and find that the woman is going to be preaching, even though it isn't her week.

I was talking with the pastor of the church once, and told him that I didn't want to sit under a woman's preaching, and his comment back to me was that "she's submissive to her husband", so I guess that makes it okay in his eyes. I would think her own husband would tell her she shouldn't be preaching, but, obviously, in this case, he doesn't.
    Yeah thatís too much for me.

I would grant some wiggle room so you have opportunities for testimony, someone leaving a cult (RCC; SDA etc) or a topic like abortion (obviously pro life) but being in a rotation is too much.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.