Thread: Christmas Tree Lots Already?

Default Christmas Tree Lots Already?

I wasn't expecting to see those today. Back in the days when I used to buy trees, I didn't buy them until the middle of December. Then, about 25 years ago, I developed an allergy to them. I miss having the fragrance in the house.

Take one and pass it on!

I always thought they would drop too many needles if bought this early. I used to try and get the tree 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas.

Now I use a houseplant (ficus tree) as the tree. Lights and a few decorations, doesn't take much time but still looks festive. Then clean-up is also quick.

I do miss the pine smell sometimes, but I am not home during the day and am so busy that I never found myself sitting and enjoying all of the decorating that I put so much time into years ago with the real tree. So this works for me.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

A popular local radio station is going to start playing around the clock Christmas music this Friday. I like Christmas music, but prefer to wait at least until December.
    And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
    Romans 11:6

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I always thought they would drop too many needles if bought this early. I used to try and get the tree 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas.

Now I use a houseplant (ficus tree) as the tree. Lights and a few decorations, doesn't take much time but still looks festive. Then clean-up is also quick.

I do miss the pine smell sometimes, but I am not home during the day and am so busy that I never found myself sitting and enjoying all of the decorating that I put so much time into years ago with the real tree. So this works for me.
    And if you buy that ďreal treeĒ pine scented scicles to hang on it they really DO smell like a real Christmas tree! I get them at Home Depot and use them with my fake tree every year because weíre always gone a lot around the holidays and Iím paranoid about a fire from a tree getting too dry, even with those waterers. Just a weird worry I have Iím sure. I donít even know a single person thatís happened to personally. Yep,Iím weird
    Toots

I live in the middle of a forest of white spruce, birch, aspen, and alder. I always aim to cut down a white spruce tree just after Thanksgiving day. I'll leave it in the garage for a day or two and then bring it into the great room. I keep it up for as long as it looks presentable. Sometimes it's dead and gone by Christmas and we rush it out of the house. Other times it's still up well into January.

For disposal, I cut off most of the branches to make it easier to get it out of the house. I toss the trunk up the hill at the back of the house... It blends right in. I wrap the branches in one of those blue tarps and they go to the trash site next time I take a load of trash out there.

For those who want a perfectly shaped tree, white spruce is not a very good option. The white spruce is more of a Charlie Brown type tree with lots of big gaps. I actually prefer the quite imperfect tree. It reminds me of my own imperfections and that I have been made "acceptable".

A few Christmas trees get shipped up here for sale. I guess maybe some of the people who live in town must buy them. Even the folks who live in town have options for cutting down a tree on borough or state property, at least I think they do. I imagine that the trees that get cut and shipped up here must be very DOA.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Tall Timbers, I've often wondered about those who buy Christmas trees from the store here in Idaho too, when we're surrounded by national forests to the north, south, and east. Maybe it's people who are unable to go up in the mountains or only have cars.

We enjoy traipsing through the snow to find our Charlie Brown Christmas tree as well.

I miss having a live tree. Growing up we always went to the tree farms and cut our own down. It was always a fun thing to do. We put ours up super early....infact it is up now and will not come down until the epiphany.
    Always love the smell of them.

I have nine cats, so a tree is not an option. I loved the real trees we used to cut down ourselves. We would think that the tree we got was just the right size and once we got home we would find that this tree that looked okay on the lot was bigger than we thought. We would put it up anyway.

Now we just sprinkle a few decorations round the house. We don't even shop very much anymore.

I live in Florida and a real Christmas tree costs a fortune, so I have used an artificial tree for years. I am also used to people decorating Palm Trees in their yards with Christmas lights so it is really what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by caligal View Post
    I have nine cats, so a tree is not an option. I loved the real trees we used to cut down ourselves. We would think that the tree we got was just the right size and once we got home we would find that this tree that looked okay on the lot was bigger than we thought. We would put it up anyway.

Now we just sprinkle a few decorations round the house. We don't even shop very much anymore.

Nine kitties!!!! Oh I would love to stop by and play with them.