Thread: "Love covers a multitude of sins"?

truthseeker815 Guest

Default "Love covers a multitude of sins"?

I have always been puzzled by this scripture in 1Peter 4:8(NIV)"Above all,love each other deeply,because love covers over a multitude of sins." I know the definition of the key words here,but it's such a general statement.Does this mean to you that "our" acts of love can eradicate some of of our sins?I don't think so because Jesus' blood does that.The word "multitude" puzzles me,also-like how many is a multitude?This may seem moot to some of you,but I've always wondered about the "actual" meaning of this verse.Maybe,some of you who have access to the original Greek could shed some light?Any opinions on this?

prisonersetfree Guest

it is my understanding that it goes both ways. His love(what greater love hath a man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends?) for us covers our sins because of his blood. also, OUR love covers a multitude of sins in the fact that we love others in spite of their sin because He first loved us. His Spirit gives us the ability to love in a way that we have never loved before: unconditionally.. plus if we love like we're supposed to, we forgive. forgiveness covers a multitude of sins as well. hope this helps!

HumbleServant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker815 View Post
    Does this mean to you that "our" acts of love can eradicate some of of our sins?
    It is speaking about overlooking another's faults. It's a quote from Proverbs.

Pro 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Also compare...
    Pro 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.

The whole idea is overlooking their flaws or sins toward us, which produces Love and perhaps repentance in return, instead of strife and sin.

The word "multitude" puzzles me,also-like how many is a multitude?This may seem moot to some of you,but I've always wondered about the "actual" meaning of this verse.Maybe,some of you who have access to the original Greek could shed some light?Any opinions on this?
    Multitude in the greek is...
    plēthos
    play'-thos
    From G4130; a fulness, that is, a large number, throng, populace: - bundle, company, multitude.

A whole bunch of sinful attitudes and behavior that would rise up in their heart due to strife, instead of Love. Cursing, hatred, gossips, deceit, malice, arrogance, insolence. I think it would be safe to call this small list a multitude of sin.

Also, in seeking to Love first, we are walking after the spirit ourselves, and not the flesh, thus covering up a whole multitude of sinful things we ourselves are capable of.

1Pe 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another,[...]

1Co 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Love is always a Great topic!!!!
    Last edited by HumbleServant; December 21st, 2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling