Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1060

Thread: The Gun Toter's thread

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Given View Post
    What is amazing to me anyway is WalMart here quit carrying handguns years ago. But now they stock numerous AR's and bulk AR ammo. I can find AR .223 ammo just about anywhere here but not .22
    I think our Wal*Mart still sells handguns... haven't looked in a while because I'm not in the market. I think (don't know for sure) that they offer some things on a regional/location basis.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

With Cabela's, Dick's and many local gunshops in our area, several Walmarts do not sell guns.

No real market for them locally, but other stores have both ammo and long-arms. Handguns require more work to sell, so some stores avoid the hassle and liability.

As for .22, its simply cheaper to shoot, a lot of hand-gunners are practicing with it, and with all the .22 semi-auto's sold in the last few years, consumption as only increased.
    A couple kids can blow through 500+ rounds easy in one junkyard session.

There are still some that hoard, but if you are a good customer, local gunshops will often help you out.

The .22 shortage is a multiprong problem with several elements all working at the same time to drive up consumption.

Fear hoarding,
    price hording(shops hold inventory to drive up price),
    more handgun practicing - cheaper than 9mmm,
    .22 steel challenge becoming very popular,
    more .22 semi autos in the market - more owners of .22 semi's,

because of rushed production - bad lots of .22 which means replacement reduces inventory,

Oh and a minor item, you can only ship/inventory so much stuff at a time for safety reasons, so you almost need a constant convoy of trucks -
    with a (half?) skid per trailer.

Yea, it still frustrating you can find plenty of .17mag, but .22lr or .22WMR vanish faster than its placed on the shelf.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Well for the first time in a while..... .22 inventory on Cabela's shelves.

I was reserved and only purchased 1 brick of Rem .22 Golden.
    There were other varities too and much of the rifle inventory appeared available.

Curiously, it seems the glut of Russian Mosin Nagants rifles is gone. Maybe the Ukrane issue stopped imports, but I saw none on the rack last time.

And the last ones were pushing $200 for a mis-matched or forced matched rifle.
    My DS got a really nice matched (all parts original with same SN) for $110 a while back.

Saturdays are a little more noisy as many neighbors are practicing in the afternoon.

Ah yes, the joy - liability of country life.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Had an interesting experience with my Mossberg 500c 20 gauge the other day. I found out my old (literally old) Winchester Super X shells (Red shell - high, ringed brass base) were too tapered on the end to the point that having the magazine fully loaded would cause a double feed. Newer ones aren't like that at all. This wasn't an issue with the bolt-action 20 gauge I had had with them since it was a stacked removable box magazine.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Any of you guys have or had a Mossberg 702 Plinkster? And if so, what brand of ammo did you find the best grouping in it?
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    Had an interesting experience with my Mossberg 500c 20 gauge the other day. I found out my old (literally old) Winchester Super X shells (Red shell - high, ringed brass base) were too tapered on the end to the point that having the magazine fully loaded would cause a double feed. Newer ones aren't like that at all. This wasn't an issue with the bolt-action 20 gauge I had had with them since it was a stacked removable box magazine.
    I have a Mossberg 12 gauge in the 500. Haven't ever shot it, though.

Any of you guys have or had a Mossberg 702 Plinkster? And if so, what brand of ammo did you find the best grouping in it?
    Have 10/22 and HKmp5a1, no Mossberg
    Both do well with Remington Golden -HP or LRN. I really don't find too much accuracy difference in brands. But If you want higher accuracy: Remington Target can tighten the groups.

More often the problem is function - jams, and Rem - CCI have been the best performers. Winchester rushed some garbage out there during the ".22 Crisis".

Never had an ammo issue on my 870, except when loading... you had to make sure the cartridge was past the catch or the whole thing jammed up.

I wunder if the taper was designed for break - mag fed shotguns to make loading smoother.

I tried 5 different ones in mine last month. The CCI Minimags and Remington Thunderbolts grouped the best at 100 yards for me. Of course my gun is so blasted light-weight that even on the bench I feel like it's moving too much ever so slightly so my grouping isn't tight as I would like but those two did the best out of all the 5. My Remington Subsonics dropped pretty good 100 yards so I had to disqualify them for that but they'd be find for anything within 50 I'm sure. The Winchester Superspeeds blasted me with powder and shot way left and loose.

The only loading issue I had with my Remington 870 12 gauge was some Federal 3" Slugs. I tried putting 4 shells into the magazine and the 4th one wouldn't go in all the way and would pop back into the receiver and jam it. I had to pop the trigger group out to get it out. Looking at them all I found those shells were a bit longer than Winchester 3" turkey loads so that little bit added up just enough. That taper theory might be correct. I never put them into a tube magazine before really just the stacking box magazine in my previous 20 gauge. I loaded and reloaded the old and new shells a number of times and the new ones work fine so I guess it was a design from back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Have 10/22 and HKmp5a1, no Mossberg
    Both do well with Remington Golden -HP or LRN. I really don't find too much accuracy difference in brands. But If you want higher accuracy: Remington Target can tighten the groups.

More often the problem is function - jams, and Rem - CCI have been the best performers. Winchester rushed some garbage out there during the ".22 Crisis".

Never had an ammo issue on my 870, except when loading... you had to make sure the cartridge was past the catch or the whole thing jammed up.

I wunder if the taper was designed for break - mag fed shotguns to make loading smoother.

I also like Fiocchi [mainly .380, 9mm] although I have not seen their .22s on the shelves lately.

RWS is also a very good brand if you can find it. [CB conicals are fabulous]

I've not heard good about Aguila but then it is pretty new on the market and there may be some bias to the reports.

What do you think about he Mass. Armory robbery?

My bet is they were after Stingers. Man-Pack Surface to Air Missiles.

I doubt there were Javelins or TOWs/Dragons.

Maybe some full-auto stuff if they could not find the former.

As to why, domestic/islamic terror or survivalist - the latter is not really a threat and likely will never use the stuff - unless the balloon goes up and the AC takes the stage.

What do you think about he Mass. Armory robbery?

My bet is they were after Stingers. Man-Pack Surface to Air Missiles.

I doubt there were Javelins or TOWs/Dragons.

Maybe some full-auto stuff if they could not find the former.

As to why, domestic/islamic terror or survivalist - the latter is not really a threat and likely will never use the stuff - unless the balloon goes up and the AC takes the stage.

I assume it was an Islamic shopping trip, could be wrong. I found it odd that the news article I saw indicated they didn't know what was missing. Or maybe didn't want to say, as I'd guess someone is in charge of inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    I assume it was an Islamic shopping trip, could be wrong. I found it odd that the news article I saw indicated they didn't know what was missing. Or maybe didn't want to say, as I'd guess someone is in charge of inventory.
    It could be that I've lived too long in Hawaii, but it almost always is an inside job for crimes like this. It likely was for profit and not ideology. Or maybe they just wanted some particular guns that they could not easily (or legally) get otherwise. I vaguely recall some hand-grenades stolen from the military being sold over here some time ago. One was even used although I think no injuries resulted. They love fireworks over here, even the illegal stuff. The cops and firemen used to be one of the main suppliers of illegal fireworks from what I was told. It was about making money.

Based on the latest news, I think Clouds is closest to the motive: $$$$ - inside job.

Likely they will wind up in criminal hands. Responsible shops will spot the firearms right away.

I finally rattled off 90 rounds through my Yugo N-PAP a couple weekends ago. Tore up some logs really good LOL.

I finally rattled off 90 rounds through my Yugo N-PAP a couple weekends ago. Tore up some logs really good LOL.

7.62 does that.

What kind of stock did you get with it?

7.62 does that.

What kind of stock did you get with it?
    Came just like this one:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

Well I got the stock set they usually come with. All wood. But I put a Tapco M4 type 6 position stock on it and a Hogue forearm/handguard set on it as well. Also a Hogue pistol grip which was a big improvement over the plastic ergonomic one that comes with it. Also a Tapco muzzle break. The whole set-up seems nice even though I didn't shoot it with the factory stock set and grip before I put all the new furniture on it. The factory furniture wasn't bad really. It's a little different than the standard AK furniture so I had to do a little "drimmeling" on the stock adapter peice to get past a couple rivets in the rear of the receiver. With the original grip the trigger guard was digging into my middle finger pretty good while just holding it (even though it's much more ergonomic than the original peg style). With the Hogue grip it's oversized so my middle finger is moved down away from it a bit. The original stock length wasn't bad, definately not your average com-block length, something like 13"-14" but I felt like it could have been longer. (I'm around 6'7" or so so I'm a little picky on length of pull and such lol). The M4 makes it even longer at the full length and it feels a lot nicer. My cousin has the same gun and sanded down the wood stock at the comb to keep it from giving too much cheek slap. I shot mine with the rear sight on the combat setting so I didn't feel it quite as bad with that M4 stock but then I wasn't down on it as hard at that setting compared to the 100M alone. The original forearm is smooth front to back so replacing it with the Hogue grip gives a lot more to grab on to. It's an oversized bumpy rubber and it has a version of the old rear grip bump of the original sort of forearm for AK's.

Nice. I've been looking for a nice Yugo SKS, but they have been pricey.

How's the machine work? They appear to be a lot nicer than the Chinese junk out there.

Nice. I've been looking for a nice Yugo SKS, but they have been pricey.

How's the machine work? They appear to be a lot nicer than the Chinese junk out there.
    You talking about the Yugo AK?

Pre-AK. An SKS is more of a normal wood-stock carbine.

It can be converted to an AK style and there is even a bullpup conversion for them.

I've seen some Chinese sks' at a couple stores and they look like they've been dredged up from Cam Ranh Bay.

As for my question about the machine work, I was asking about your sample of AK.

Pre-AK. An SKS is more of a normal wood-stock carbine.

It can be converted to an AK style and there is even a bullpup conversion for them.

I've seen some Chinese sks' at a couple stores and they look like they've been dredged up from Cam Ranh Bay.

As for my question about the machine work, I was asking about your sample of AK.
    As far as I can tell it works pretty good.