Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 1,061 to 1,071 of 1071

Thread: The Gun Toter's thread

Default ? on .223 AR rifles

Have owned many weapons but sadly had to sell all in last few years to pay medical related bills ,my ? There are many lower priced AR rifles marketed by BPS,Cabelas etc made by Colt, S&W & others what is difference between a $600-$700 priced DPMS or other compared to an expensive rifle? Are they reliable, what is the easiest to clean/maintain? What would be a good choice, if I need to spend $1000 I will, and what is best ammo for such rifle. After reading so many sites I am fatigued. My wife wants a .38 revolver, I am fine with that and could add a lever rifle in same caliber. thanks for any/all input, very appreciated

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

For reliability and price go with Ruger. Both The AR 556 and Mini-14 (if you prefer a classical wood-stocked type of carbine) are reliable rifles. Used models turn up at reasonable prices too.

All Direct-Impingement ARs are functionally the same. Cleaning is simple, yet with a DI system you will have to clean a little more often as burnt gas is vented back to the chamber as part of the rifle's functioning.

Some AR-types use a piston such as the Ruger SR 556. These firearms run cleaner, are more reliable, but the cost is greater.

DPMS, M&P, even Bushmaster rifles are good buys, yet you do have the option of buying a new upper assembly if you want a different functionality - target, heavy barrel, even a couple different cartridges can be used with a complete upper swap only.

Or if you want to brave a federal tax stamp, Form 1, and other hurdles, you can make a 10" barreled SBR.
    **Warning: putting a short barrel on a regular rifle lower, or even adding a stock to an AR pistol without proper paperwork is a federal crime. Read the laws before you do something foolish.

Depending where you live, you may have limited selection and a restricted magazine capacity.

As for .223 ammo, I have stayed with American Eagle ammo (low cost version of Federal Cartridge).
    Remington, Winchester, Herters are also reliable brands. I have had issues with PMC but not often.

As for the .38 revolver, again I would go with Ruger. Smith and Wesson is also a favorite but adds to the cost. Avoid Taurus as there are many who have had bad service issues.

I would recommend you buy a .357 as the price is likely the same, yet with a .357 you can shoot .38 Special, .38 +P, as well as .357, even 9x19 (normal 9mm) with moon clips.
    Also a .357 pistol is often a little more robust in construction. You can get lever-actions like Winchester or Henry that can shoot the same mix.

The .38 special option gives you a lower powered round to practice and learn with and is often better for ladies who do not want a 'hand cannon'.

Hopefully you have a range to practice at, and even experienced shooters (that includes me) can benefit from regular safety refresher courses.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Anyone see the documentary on PBS recently called The Armor of Light? Conservative Evangelical Pastor Rob Schenk questions whether or not Christians should own guns or conceal carry. He is decidedly anti-gun. I would be interested in some of your views on this if you get a chance to watch the documentary. Although I personally do not own a gun I am completely pro-second amendment and have not problems with gun ownership. In the documentary Pastor Schenk states that Christians that carry or have guns no longer are putting there faith and trust in G-d but in their smith and wesson. I completely disagree and am troubled by his views. I've heard Pastor Schenk speak in person many times and have some of his books and generally like him. He's based in Washington DC and has been for many years. My concern is that the ruling elite in Washington has had far more of an influence on him than he has had on the ruling elite. His big thing is pro-life and that we should have the right to publicly display the 10 commandments. Again, any opinions would be appreciated.

Wally, big thanks, I was leaning towards both Ruger for the AR and Henry for the LR. I love Winchesters but the Henry is shorter and better in tight quarters, and half the price, and if it is as fun to shoot as I think it will be, the wife will want her own(even more fun).

RKS: Although this is more of an informational thread, and not really for politics,

and to stay in line with forum rules;

We do best to trust in the Lord. To trust anything else is inviting disaster.

We are to be wise - prudent. We are to take a stand against evil.
    And it is up to each of us as to how we do it, firearm or not, - with the given understanding all of us need to seek God's wisdom.

It really doesn't matter who has all the guns, swords, nukes..... God is able and has delivered the weak from evil people.
    The battle belongs to the Lord.

chaser: Glad to help. Although no guarantee, I've not done wrong with a Ruger. Not that others have not had issues, but the complaints seem to be few.

I've purchased both new and used with no reliability issues. Currently I have an SR-556c. Piston carbine, bought used. Zero problems.

Cowboy shoots are getting popular, so the Henry will fill the bill nicely. Lever actions are typically well under the gun-control radar, even when called CARs: Cowboy-Assault-Rifles.
    So what revolver is the misses interested in? Single action or DA or DAO?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

She is small bone structure, her ring finger 3.5 and she does not like working the slide on a semi auto, so simpler the better and i'm leaning hammerless. Looked at a Ruger today, don't remember the model but it was all black ,and think barrel was 2 1/4"? .38 and the frame/grip looked like it would be ok for her. She is off tomorrow so will stop back and see if she is comfortable with it. Looked at several .357 but I know she won't go there, frames all too big and she'll be intimidated from go.

Sounds like the Ruger LCR. Not a bad choice.

You may also want to check out a Ruger SP101 in a 32 caliber, (with 327 Fed Mag - you have the same option of using smaller cartridges in the same pistol).

There are several "Lady" sized pistols to choose from. Take your time and if possible, get to a range or club where you can "test drive" a couple.

Advantage of hammerless is less chance of snagging on something in her purse.
    Disadvantage: DAO trigger pull can be heavy, and you have no single action option- which is often much more accurate.

Another excellent choice is to find a revolver in .22 WMR (22 Mag). It is a rather under-appreciated cartridge.

Thought I would resurrect this thread with a question.

Has anyone put any mileage on one of those Cricket, single shot youth rifles?
    The look pretty good, but I wonder if they will remain reliable.

I know of no one who has one,

but it's kinda hard to mess up a single shot .22 bolt action.

Being that the Milton PA facility is growing, I suspect they have a strong product.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I know of no one who has one,

but it's kinda hard to mess up a single shot .22 bolt action.

Being that the Milton PA facility is growing, I suspect they have a strong product.
    It is a strong seller, but I don't know anyone who owns one, either.
    But some things are made more to sell than to last, and I was
    wondering how well this one is made.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    It is a strong seller, but I don't know anyone who owns one, either.
    But some things are made more to sell than to last, and I was
    wondering how well this one is made.
    OK, I got an update. Some of the guys on another forum have bought them
    for grandkids and put well over 1000 rounds through them, without a problem,
    so I am going to consider the Cricket a good buy. Thanks.